Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Phastek Performance

Old 06-11-2016, 09:15 AM   #1
RECOUPED

Drives: 2017 GARNET RED TINTCOAT 2SS M6
SUMMER ONLY TIRES?

Has anyone made arrangements with their dealer to swap out the Summer only tires on the 2SS? It makes no sense to me to have a heated steering wheel and heated seats, (things I can do without) then be rolling on tires that are recommended to be used at 40 degree temperature or better. I don't plan to be using the car in the Winter, but I don't want to be restricted if I need it.
RECOUPED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:35 AM   #2
merlin803

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro 2SS
I did for the all weather Contenintal's but they didn't swap them per se, they were suppose to add them to the cost of my car and give me both sets but for whatever reason it didn't get added to the cost of my car.

They told me that they couldn't just straight swap them but it turned out better for me because I just turned around and sold the run flats.
merlin803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:40 AM   #3
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
I swap out the stock summer Bridgestones for Continental All Seasons. Dealer does it for $100. I just can't find wheels I like well enough to have winter wheels.

That being said, the Continentals are great tires. But they are nowhere near as good as the summer only Bridgestones. Drive hard into a corner and Contis will let go sooner than the summer only tires. You will get a loss of performance.

Now if you aren't driving less than 80% of the capacity of the car, you probably won't notice.

But I've driven in some pretty heavy snow with the Contis and for that they are really, really good.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:42 AM   #4
GrimReaperSS

Drives: 2001 Onyx Black/Ebony SS. 427/M6
I would say it depends on how you like to drive. I would say if your never going to drive it in cold/winter conditions, I'd leave the stockers on there. If you want to have some flexibility and take it out from time to time in those conditions, then I'd say ask how you'd get em swapped out for something more "performance all season". The dealer I work for, not GM, just swapped a set of tires from one Porsche Panamera to the other for the same reason. Guy was buying a GTS model but didn't want the summer only tires. So we dismounted the Yokohama Advan's from his GTS and another Panamera that had Pirelli Cinturato P7's on it and remounted/balanced to opposite cars.
GrimReaperSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:45 AM   #5
merlin803

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I swap out the stock summer Bridgestones for Continental All Seasons. Dealer does it for $100. I just can't find wheels I like well enough to have winter wheels.

That being said, the Continentals are great tires. But they are nowhere near as good as the summer only Bridgestones. Drive hard into a corner and Contis will let go sooner than the summer only tires. You will get a loss of performance.

Now if you aren't driving less than 80% of the capacity of the car, you probably won't notice.

But I've driven in some pretty heavy snow with the Contis and for that they are really, really good.
Yes, my car is an everyday car and it drives very well in the snow and cold weather with the Conti's.

I don't really push it hard enough to see a loss of performance.
merlin803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:03 AM   #6
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin803 View Post
Yes, my car is an everyday car and it drives very well in the snow and cold weather with the Conti's.

I don't really push it hard enough to see a loss of performance.
This summer I thought hard about just leaving the All Seasons on the car. After the Bridgestones are used up, I'll probably go All Seasons year around. The Bridgestones are not wearing well either.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:11 AM   #7
15ke

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
if you change to all seasons, what are you doing in case of a flat?
15ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:27 AM   #8
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15ke View Post
if you change to all seasons, what are you doing in case of a flat?
Ha! The SS has an optional full size spare.

For the Camaro, you'll likely have to add the repair and inflator kit that you get when you get All Seasons. I'm pretty sure that's what you get on an LT.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:42 PM   #9
15ke

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I'd like to order the compressor and sealant kit that comes in Camaro's without the run flats - so that it will fit in the Styrofoam trunk kit. Anyone know if this is the right part number?

INFLATOR PKG - GM (19159309)

Thanks.
15ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:32 PM   #10
tbis

Drives: 2016 1SS Summit White
You realize how much those runflats cost? They should pay you to switch over to continentals...

[SIZE="100"]
tbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:35 PM   #11
tbis

Drives: 2016 1SS Summit White
Highly recommend the dws06 for a max performance all season had them on my gen 5
Attached Images

[SIZE="100"]
tbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:00 AM   #12
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
What brand is dws?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2016, 10:09 AM   #13
BigGuy81
Account Suspended

Drives: Man
Send a message via ICQ to BigGuy81 Send a message via AIM to BigGuy81 Send a message via Yahoo to BigGuy81
No. If you're going to switch out the tires, get a better summer tire, like Pilot Super Sports. If you're genuinely concerned about winter traction get an actual set of winter tires and swap them on the car when the weather starts to turn.

This is a powerful RWD sports car. Hampering it by putting on all season tires is just sad.
BigGuy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:16 AM   #14
13vertss

Drives: 2013 Camaro convertible 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
What brand is dws?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
There Continental. There a ultra high performance A/S tire and rated best. I just bought a set for my new Corvette. Not enough warm weather in NH for a summer only tire.
13vertss is offline   Reply With Quote