Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-20-2020, 09:37 PM   #1
puppykat33

Drives: Black 2019 ZL1 M6,
Borla S-Type Cat Back question???

Anyone with the S-type on their ZL1? is the Sound louder and deeper than stock? I keep listening to the youtube with all 3 and the stock and s-type sound similar or is that just the crappy volume of youtube? Ppl with the s-type were you surprised after the install or was it just a subtle difference?

Anyone less than impressed and wish they would have gone a different way?

Thanks
2019 Black ZL1, M6, CF Hood and Dash, Nav System, ZL1 Addons rock guards and lift points, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, DD Smoked Marker Lights, Ceramic window tint, Gtechniq 9yr ceramic coating. JL Audio stealth box 12W6, Dyanamat trunk, Dead pedal cover, Soler TB/TC, Green Filter, Carbon-fiber Borla S-Type
puppykat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:57 PM   #2
supersportss

Drives: 2019 SS
Whyyyyyyyyyyyy better sound amazing, deeper and meaner. But mot loud or drone.
supersportss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 04:18 AM   #3
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
What he said. Great sound. Wonderful cold start bark. Louder than stock but not too loud.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:43 AM   #4
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
It's a nice step up over stock. Borla isn't going to disappoint.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:33 AM   #5
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

Drives: '16 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
It's a nice step up over stock. Borla isn't going to disappoint.
I'm sure you've heard your fair share of exhaust notes. Which catback do you like the most on these cars? I was considering ARH headers, but am worried about drone on both their long and full system so I was going to pair catless Kooks with a nice catback.
JasonGofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:36 PM   #6
alssiri

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppykat33 View Post
Anyone with the S-type on their ZL1? is the Sound louder and deeper than stock? I keep listening to the youtube with all 3 and the stock and s-type sound similar or is that just the crappy volume of youtube? Ppl with the s-type were you surprised after the install or was it just a subtle difference?

Anyone less than impressed and wish they would have gone a different way?

Thanks
With or w/o long tube, i have it with LT no cats & it is louder than stock suitcase.

Ahmad
2012 ZL1 A6 (SOLD)
Forged 376 CI, LSA HeartBeat, Mast Medium Bore Heads & JDP ZLR Cam, ARH LT , MagnaFlow Resonated X + Borla Atak Catback, ADM 102mm Snout, CAI, NW102MM TB, ID850, Fore Triple Fuel Pump, MSD Wire's, Moroso CC.
Alky Control, FIICHILLER.
alssiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:39 PM   #7
puppykat33

good as long as it is definitely noticeable over stock. i don't want to put down 2500 buck and have is sound not necessarily louder than stock, but over all the same tone and note. if that makes any since.
2019 Black ZL1, M6, CF Hood and Dash, Nav System, ZL1 Addons rock guards and lift points, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, DD Smoked Marker Lights, Ceramic window tint, Gtechniq 9yr ceramic coating. JL Audio stealth box 12W6, Dyanamat trunk, Dead pedal cover, Soler TB/TC, Green Filter, Carbon-fiber Borla S-Type
Old 10-21-2020, 05:50 PM   #8
Zigg L1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Garnet Red Tintcoat A10
I got the Borla Stype catback and it sounded amazing. Then I took it to the next level with the headers Nd high flow cats. Awesome!!!!

Get it
Zigg L1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:23 PM   #9
Here_we_go

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
"Noticeable" change is an understatement. I have it with secondary cats removed at it screams. When you hear it startup for the first time, the additional bass and tone will make you smile. It's not only volume but tone that improved. The S Type is deeper than the Atak, which has more rasp through the rev range. Well worth the price for the change in sound. I'm tempted to add headers at some point but honestly, it's loud enough and headers also change the tone making it higher-pitched and raspier. It also has a tiny bit of drone in the cruising ranges but nothing to worry about and if you get the NPP, can be all but eliminated by closing the valves. Just go for it.
Here_we_go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:28 PM   #10
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGofast View Post
I'm sure you've heard your fair share of exhaust notes. Which catback do you like the most on these cars? I was considering ARH headers, but am worried about drone on both their long and full system so I was going to pair catless Kooks with a nice catback.

Honestly, I really like the AWE Touring system. The Solo system is pretty wicked to but it doesn't get much attention.

If it's my car I just go with long tubes right off the bat and leave the muffler alone. See how you like the new volume and tone. Most people are very happy with the sound and you get the performance benefits. If you decide you want it louder you can always swap the exhaust later.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:51 PM   #11
Zl1+911

Drives: 997 GTS, ZL1 A10, ZLEM6, ZLEA10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
Honestly, I really like the AWE Touring system. The Solo system is pretty wicked to but it doesn't get much attention.

If it's my car I just go with long tubes right off the bat and leave the muffler alone. See how you like the new volume and tone. Most people are very happy with the sound and you get the performance benefits. If you decide you want it louder you can always swap the exhaust later.

What do you mean by “long tubes” - can u link to a exact product? Thx
Zl1+911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:10 PM   #12
Rnovrit

Drives: 2018 NFG ZL1-1LE
I have the catback Borla S as well. Only a few decibels higher that stock. I took measurements back when everyone was freaking out about the California exhaust laws changes. It has a deeper tone and sounds more “ muscle car like” if that makes any sense. I did take it one step further and had everything except the factory exhaust manifolds ceramic coated. Helps with heat and looks great also.
Attached Images

Rnovrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:51 PM   #13
dbs1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I can't comment on any of the catbacks, but mine has kooks headers with high flow cats tied to the stock exhaust. It scares cats, dogs and females when it starts up, no drone at cruise but imo sounds great when you get on it. My older ears wouldn't want anything louder.

Other then saving some weight, I'm not sure I'd do anything any different and I like the stock exhaust tips better then anything I've seen aftermarket.
dbs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 04:34 AM   #14
puppykat33

thanks for the replies fellas i feel better