Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-16-2019, 11:08 AM   #1
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Modify front crash beam?

I often look at the front grill area of my car and see what little of the stage 2 IC that has access to airflow (Probably just under half) and wonder how much better it would be if the front crash beam wasn't blocking the upper half. This could apply to the PD heat exchanger I'd imagine as well.

I know those running the Race IC on a Procharger setup up cannot run the front crash beam at all due to the size of that one but how crazy would it be to modify the crash beam so that it's not completely removed and can still offer some protection (for what that is worth as I hear they are only for low speed crashes).

Something like this below? Would that be insane and if there ever were a front end collision would insurance likely deny any claims when their repair techs tell them the center of the crash bar has been cut out. lol

Thoughts?

Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:42 AM   #2
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
I’m not going to lie...I just don’t have the guts to do it... lol
Old 06-16-2019, 11:47 AM   #3
Dysan911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
I’m not going to lie...I just don’t have the guts to do it... lol

Haha. me too. Although part of me wants to just remove the entire crash beam for a day or two just to see what the difference is. Even though 45-50% is blocked it still utilizes that volume to help cool just not ideal and effective as I'd imagine if more were in the path of the incoming air. Would it cool down quicker from a pull? Be harder to heatsoak, etc. Hmmmm
Old 06-17-2019, 06:48 AM   #4
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
I would be most concerned if you were in a accident and someone died - even if the accident wasn't your fault you could be held liable for the death.

When I was shopping for a S/C setup I was looking at the ProCharger stuff and I know it makes good power and works fine, one thing I couldn't understand is the layout of the I/C to move the air from "bottom-up". The "tanks" (comparing to a radiator) take up a lot of room that could have been used for more "core".

The Vortec runs the air side to side, and the tanks take up a lot less room, which is traded for more core. When installed their I/C still has room for the bumper and the diagonal cross braces.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:11 AM   #5
Dysan911

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkMissile View Post
I would be most concerned if you were in a accident and someone died - even if the accident wasn't your fault you could be held liable for the death.

When I was shopping for a S/C setup I was looking at the ProCharger stuff and I know it makes good power and works fine, one thing I couldn't understand is the layout of the I/C to move the air from "bottom-up". The "tanks" (comparing to a radiator) take up a lot of room that could have been used for more "core".

The Vortec runs the air side to side, and the tanks take up a lot less room, which is traded for more core. When installed their I/C still has room for the bumper and the diagonal cross braces.

Oh I guess I never thought cutting the center section on the crash bar would contribute to hurting anyone. If anything I figured it would just vary the amount of damage to the front end (if any).

I agree with you 100% on the points made about the comparisons between the vortech IC and the Procharger. With your smaller tanks on the sides it even lends further to allowing you to expose even more core above and below the crash beam. Not the Procharger. It sits no higher than the crash beam.

I read the install instructions for the Vortech kit and compared to Procharger it is quite a bit more involved to say the least. I can only assume maybe Procharger was trying to keep the install a simplistic as possible and that particular IC off the shelf setup just seemed to work good enough so they went with it even though it could have been designed way better but would have complicated their kit a bit more.
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Old 06-17-2019, 11:21 PM   #6
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
I would look at the front "bumper" to tie the two frame ends together. With nothing tying one side to the other it is going to loose a lot of strength (and consider even with driving your frame rails are hanging out there letting everything in the front end flex under load)

I compared both systems for almost 6 months, and I would agree that yes, the Vortech/ECS kit is more envolved than the PC, but it is well thought out and EVERY step is included in the instructions. And everything is well thought out. They even send you templates on how to trim the 1LE radiator / brake ducts to clear the I/C tubing.

In the end, for me, I went with this kit because cost on everything was very close (once you buy the PC upgraded intercooler and BOV options) and I couldn't get past the crank pulley adapter design. I know many have luck with it, but with the setup on the Vortech there is a lot more belt wrap (on the accessory belt) and the setup is nearly silent. With the car idling in Stealth on the NPP you can barely here anything, even while driving. Put it in Tour and you can't hear the S/C at all (unless you are doing a full boost shift then you hear the BOV)