Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 05-19-2019, 11:32 AM   #71
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
IIRC the original Hydro2 was the one of the first spray-on/rinse-off coatings....
Thanks for the info!

I think the HydroFoam can be used as a carwash soap, either via foam cannon or conventional bucket wash. No need to do a regular wash first. However, I bet if you were to do a regular wash first you could apply it using much less product and a bottle would last forever. Something like 10:1 in a spray bottle or just soak a microfiber cloth and wipe the car down, then rinse.
DaveC113 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 12:05 PM   #72
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
My buddy (who is a not an enthusiast) uses Hydrofoam exclusively After I bought him some. He just dilutes it to whatever you’re supposed to dilute it to, puts it in a spray bottle, rinses/wets the car and then sprays down each panel, uses a mitt to foam it up, then hoses it off, kind of a spray-on soap…

He’s a true believer, his car always looks outstanding, and is very hydrophobic.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:04 PM   #73
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Apex has been doing a lot of comparison videos lately. One has the new Turtle Wax Seal and Shine, and the next has Adams 9H Spray, and there were more than a few similarities, hope he does a head to head on those two. A few years ago I really thought TW's days were numbered.

Also watch these Auto Detailing video on Adams Ceramic wash and wax as expensive and overpowered detailer. I wouldn't have thought of it, but durability results looked fantastic.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:37 PM   #74
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
12 and a half week update...

Reload is gone. Adams is still holding up pretty well.

Adams is on the left, Reload on the right.

Attached Images

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:11 AM   #75
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
I wouldn't say it's gone, but Adams wins for sure.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:09 PM   #76
Gunkk

Okay this is a bit extreme... but FWIW here's a ~32 week (8 month) update. Car is garaged, sits under oak trees at work, and hadn't been washed in weeks and hasn't been stripped or recoated since the original application in the spring of 2019. The Reload side is a solid sheet of water, but the Adam's side is still beading a little, but nothing like before.
Attached Images

Last edited by Gunkk; 12-02-2019 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:13 PM   #77
JeffFox

Drives: 2018 2SS Coupe A8
Great Thread

Quote:
Okay this is a bit extreme... but FWIW here's a ~32 week (8 month) update. Car is garaged, sits under oak trees at work, and hadn't been washed in weeks and hasn't been stripped or recoated since the original application in the spring of 2019. The Reload side is a solid sheet of water, but the Adam's side is still beading a little, but nothing like before.
Thanks GunkK
JeffFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:30 PM   #78
davet435
davet

Drives: 2016 2SS Mosaic Black
Send a message via Yahoo to davet435
And now we (SPS) sell a Graphene Oxide coating, less prone to water spotting. It is a professional only coating. If you’re considering having a coating installed it would be worth looking into!
2/8/16 3000 TPW 2/29
2/18/16 3400
3/3/16 3800
3/4/16 4B00
3/5/16 4300
3/7/16 4200!!!
davet435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:05 PM   #79
Guns F16

Drives: 2018 1 SS 1LE/FFR 818
I'm new to ceramics and just started using CarPro's Hydro2 Lite. I'm very happy with the results, but I also don't have anything to compare it to. Thoughts?
Guns F16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:32 PM   #80
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns F16 View Post
I'm new to ceramics and just started using CarPro's Hydro2 Lite. I'm very happy with the results, but I also don't have anything to compare it to. Thoughts?
It seems to me the issue is how often you have to apply it, cost and effort... but even with long lasting coatings you often need to "refresh" them every few months.

I use Hydro2Foam diluted 10:1 right after a conventional wash, it takes 10 min to apply and hoses off. A $25 bottle can last years using it like this, so super cheap. It seems to last about 3 months. I use ECH20 + Reload as a quick detailer, 20:1 and 10:1 dilution.

This works better than any wax or coating I've ever used as far as repelling dirt and brake dust, it's much easier to apply and less expensive.
Old 02-27-2020, 06:23 AM   #81
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Thanks Gunkk for the great review!
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:53 PM   #82
HawkeyeMike

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
Quote:

I did not polish the panel before applying coatings. No alcohol prep for the Reload, and I put it on the car immediately after wash and towel dry.
I've always been under the impression that Essence is what properly prepares the painted surface for Reload to bond to. If you didn't use Essence first, then I would expect Reload would not last nearly as long as it should.

By no means am I criticizing your method - on the contrary this is an excellent thread and I thank you for sharing. The reason I'm asking is...have I been looking at this all wrong? Twice per year I do Reload on my car, both times I polish first with Essence. Am I wasting my time?

Thanks!
Mike
HawkeyeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:35 AM   #83
Gunkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeMike View Post
I've always been under the impression that Essence is what properly prepares the painted surface for Reload to bond to. If you didn't use Essence first, then I would expect Reload would not last nearly as long as it should.

By no means am I criticizing your method - on the contrary this is an excellent thread and I thank you for sharing. The reason I'm asking is...have I been looking at this all wrong? Twice per year I do Reload on my car, both times I polish first with Essence. Am I wasting my time?
At only 2x/year you're definitely not any wasting time, and you're doing better than a lot of folks out there. Each product has a purpose you seem to be using them properly. Essence is a primarily a fine finishing polish so you're likely getting a huge benefit from it removing swirls, small defects, and any accumulated albeit minor oxidation. Reload is a hydrophobic topper so you get an added benefit from it in combination w/ Essence with appearance and ease of care.

What I've seen with coatings is that paint surface prep and oxidation really matter as much or more to their longevity than how the car is stored. So with the essence prep you're doing about as good as possible to maximize the longevity of Reload.

I did not polish w/ Essence as a prep for three reasons: 1) I followed the MFR's directions and neither ACS nor Carpro required polishing as preparation for their coatings, 2) I don't own a polisher, and 3) Essence contains a sealant/SiO2 and I didn't want to apply any coatings on the car before the test that could confound the results. The car was 7 model years old at the time and while Hyundai arguably did an excellent paint job on the Korean-made Genesis sedans, it was a brutal but fair test. I did clay the entire car as part of the prep using a fine clay-sponge as recommended by Adams.

Essence + Reload is a tried and true car care solution that many folks have been using with great success for many years. If the 2x/year approach continues to work for you, I see no reason why you would ever want or need to change.

Last edited by Gunkk; 03-09-2020 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:52 AM   #84
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Just be aware when you go shopping for essence that there are two versions for different uses… It’s easy to confuse the two unless you do some research. you want the essence gloss enhancer, I believe.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote