Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-06-2021, 12:28 PM   #1
semif18

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE White
How hard to put on an axle back exhaust?

Hey folks, I don't have an LT1, I have a ZLE with an LT4, however since this is the exhaust section I figured I'd put my question here. I've always been a guy that supports his local businesses and pays for other folks to do any work on my cars, but my 17 year old son is really interested in cars and I thought this would be a great first project for us to do together. I've watched videos on installing an axle back exhaust, I'm relatively handy and mechanically inclined. The exhaust is on its way so it's getting put on by me or by a shop. My question is for those that have put on an axle back exhaust is there anything the videos don't show that might trip me up that only a shop could take care of? It doesn't look that bad to me but I've never put one on before. Any advice is appreciated.
semif18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 01:48 PM   #2
Xaxas

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Easy, 30 mins tops if it's your first time, get an exhaust cutter to make your life easy, the rubber supports may be a pita to remove but WD40 always helps, and you've got to remove the brackets that hold the muffler in place so that's 4 screws which are mildly annoying to remove

If you want detailed instruction, Borla has Axleback instructions with pictures

Previous: 2017 2LT aka "Noire"
Mods: Chevrolet Performance Suspension || K&N Cold Air Intake || Borla ATAK Mufflers + Catback system || MRR 650 ZL1 replicas with squared 285/30 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S || ZZP 4 piston brake kit + braided brake lines || BMR everything (Solid/Lockout cradle bushing are a MUST in Camaros)
Xaxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 02:15 PM   #3
43Camaro

Drives: [COTW 8/3/15] 2010 Camaro SS L99
1 hour job if you have never done it. 30 Min job if you have done it before. Leave all the clamps loose and then align everything, tighten after you have aligned everything. Easy DIY job..

43Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 03:03 PM   #4
semif18

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE White
Great, thanks folks!
semif18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:30 AM   #5
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Have a back up plan...About the only problem you can really encounter is the piping not fitting over the midpipe...it happened to me when the manuf didn't expand the piping quite enough and I had to rig it up and then get it welded. Was a laugh approaching the company about it...just be aware that this can happen and you're left "hanging" pun intended.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:01 AM   #6
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaxas View Post
Easy, 30 mins tops if it's your first time, get an exhaust cutter to make your life easy, the rubber supports may be a pita to remove but WD40 always helps, and you've got to remove the brackets that hold the muffler in place so that's 4 screws which are mildly annoying to remove

If you want detailed instruction, Borla has Axleback instructions with pictures
There is a tool for popping off those rubber support bushings too if you want to make it a super easy job!

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote