Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-25-2014, 01:49 PM   #57
fradaj

Drives: RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q'smuscle View Post
Wow! Finally, some close up pics of the inside of the car almost can see the design!

In one shot you can kind of see the dashboard. Almost looks like the gauge cluster design of the C5 may be retained in the new Camaro.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 04:33 PM   #58
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by fradaj View Post
In one shot you can kind of see the dashboard. Almost looks like the gauge cluster design of the C5 may be retained in the new Camaro.
Pin which picture? The interior has more cam than the interior.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:18 PM   #59
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
It looks like they just superglued a fifth gen cluster to give the car an interior without revealing the design. You can barely make anything out of the pic.
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2014, 08:13 AM   #60
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
The instrument panel has a big tarp laid over it. You can't see anything. At this stage, the car has a working, functional interior, hence the camo.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:35 PM   #61
benanderson89

Drives: Kia GT
As an aside, what would everyone's reaction be to a 4-Cylinder, Turbo Charged Camaro?

Dodge owners seem to spit on anything that isn't one of the two Hemi V8s on offer, and judging by the general response from Ford aficionados they're absolutely outraged at the presence of a 4-pot in their pony.

Guys and Gals on this forum seem to not really care that much? As long as it goes in a straight line very quickly, amirite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Chevrolet brand is being pulled out of Europe but specific models will still be sold as Chevrolets. AKA Camaro and Corvette. Also talk of sending the full size trucks to Australia.
Yeah but that leaves the question of where GM will actually sell their performance cars. They said they would have some European Cadillac models as well as a few dealers by 2015, with said dealers selling the Camaro and Corvette, but that hasn't come to fruition yet with exactly zero dealerships in the UK (arguably one of the most important markets in Europe) and no right hand drive models other than the incredibly niche CTS-V.

The only places I've found to actually buy a Camaro, Corvette or Cadillac are via grey importers. No GM warranty or service centres.

Hell, do you know how many Camaros were officially sold via Chevrolet dealers in the UK in 2013?

I'm not even kidding. Hopefully GM wont continue they're utterly incompetent streak next year.
benanderson89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:29 PM   #62
fradaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
It looks like they just superglued a fifth gen cluster to give the car an interior without revealing the design. You can barely make anything out of the pic.
If that guy would get his hand out of the way.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:33 PM   #63
fradaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post
As an aside, what would everyone's reaction be to a 4-Cylinder, Turbo Charged Camaro?

Dodge owners seem to spit on anything that isn't one of the two Hemi V8s on offer, and judging by the general response from Ford aficionados they're absolutely outraged at the presence of a 4-pot in their pony.

Guys and Gals on this forum seem to not really care that much? As long as it goes in a straight line very quickly, amirite?

Yeah but that leaves the question of where GM will actually sell their performance cars. They said they would have some European Cadillac models as well as a few dealers by 2015, with said dealers selling the Camaro and Corvette, but that hasn't come to fruition yet with exactly zero dealerships in the UK (arguably one of the most important markets in Europe) and no right hand drive models other than the incredibly niche CTS-V.

The only places I've found to actually buy a Camaro, Corvette or Cadillac are via grey importers. No GM warranty or service centres.

Hell, do you know how many Camaros were officially sold via Chevrolet dealers in the UK in 2013?

I'm not even kidding. Hopefully GM wont continue they're utterly incompetent streak next year.

I would consider a Turbo 4 if it has a lot of torque, makes over 300 HP and is 200 Lbs lighter than a V8.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:02 PM   #64
MikeT

Drives: 2008 Malibu V6
Quote:
I would consider a Turbo 4 if it has a lot of torque, makes over 300 HP and is 200 Lbs lighter than a V8.
Does GM have a 300+ hp turbo 4? They could make one I suppose, but I don't think we've seen any sign of that yet.

If a turbo 4 shows up, I'd put my money on the 270-hp unit from the ATS.

It does raise questions, though, because Ford's Ecoboost supposedly puts out 310 hp. If GM chooses to play that game, can they do so with a 40 hp deficit to the Mustang? I mean, sure, they CAN, but would they? I guess it's possible if the turbo 4 is the base, entry-level Camaro, but even that is questionable since the base (V6) Mustang is at 300 hp.

I guess my point is this: Does GM really want ANY '16 Camaro out there that is less powerful that the lower-trim Mustangs? Maybe GM will just say, 'Screw it, we're going to top the Mustang across the board" (e.g., base NA V6, mid-range twin-turbo V6, top-end V8s).
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 07:08 PM   #65
Camaro68

Drives: 68 Camaro 327ci 2SS/RS 376ci LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcfuzz View Post
My uneducated guess is convertible

6000 Vehicle Delivered to Customer 6-23-10
Camaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 07:19 PM   #66
H-E
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 zr1 Camaro 2011 vert
Glass roof like the rustang?
H-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:06 PM   #67
benanderson89

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
Does GM have a 300+ hp turbo 4? They could make one I suppose, but I don't think we've seen any sign of that yet.

If a turbo 4 shows up, I'd put my money on the 270-hp unit from the ATS.
I believe the 270-hp unit from the ATS is the same unit that is used in its Delta cousins the Opel/Vauxhall Astra GTC VXR and Insignia Turbo.

Opel/Vauxhall do indeed have a 300hp+ version of this engine, and its set for release in the Astra GTC VXR Extreme Edition.

The standard engine as installed in the Astra is 276bhp and 295lb-ft of Torque.

The current V6 engine is 278lb-ft, with the V8 pushing 420lb-ft with a manual.

The 300bhp version of the 4-pot will obviously output a higher torque value, so it'll slot very neatly between the two in the range. The downside is that, unlike Ford's 2.3L EcoBoost, the 2.0L 4-pot in GM's lineup has less total Horse Power than the V6.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:22 PM   #68
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post
I believe the 270-hp unit from the ATS is the same unit that is used in its Delta cousins the Opel/Vauxhall Astra GTC VXR and Insignia Turbo.

Opel/Vauxhall do indeed have a 300hp+ version of this engine, and its set for release in the Astra GTC VXR Extreme Edition.

The standard engine as installed in the Astra is 276bhp and 295lb-ft of Torque.

The current V6 engine is 278lb-ft, with the V8 pushing 420lb-ft with a manual.

The 300bhp version of the 4-pot will obviously output a higher torque value, so it'll slot very neatly between the two in the range. The downside is that, unlike Ford's 2.3L EcoBoost, the 2.0L 4-pot in GM's lineup has less total Horse Power than the V6.
I think in this car the 4 cylinder will be the base engine, while the V6 will be the optional engine. Either that, or they will be so similarly priced (or priced the same) that it really won't be an option, but instead, just a preference.

But if the 4 cylinder is the base, then I think we'll see the same 270HP, 295 TQ version.

The V6 is supposedly not the LFX in the current car, but a new V6 called the LGX, but still a 3.6. You can bet the engine will be more efficient than the already pretty efficient LFX, and hopefully even more powerful in HP and TQ. If the V6 can put out a good 330+ HP and around 290 TQ it will be more than good enough to go toe to toe with a stock Mustang Ecoboost. The Ecoboost will make more power down low, but the V6 will run it down on the top end. Its already been proven on the drag strip that a 2014 Mustang V6 traps higher than the Ecoboost. Combine a strong V6, with the chance that the Camaro could end up a tad lighter than the Mustang and you have a strong chance the Camaro V6 will be quicker than the Ecoboost, especially from a roll. An 8 speed transmission in the automatic will give it even more of an advantage.

The turbo 4 is a good engine though, and can easily make around 300HP and 320 to 330 TQ without much of a sweat. If they price the turbo 4 and the V6 pretty much the same, as I mentioned at the beginning, then I'd expect a slight power bump to the turbo 4 to close the HP gap a bit.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:04 PM   #69
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
When the 6th generation Camaro comes out it is rumored that the Cadillac ATS (and CTS) will get new engines which will likely also be used by the Camaro. Though part of this is to have more refined engines for Cadillac (with these engines likely filtering down to other models).

The 2.0T 270BHP and 295ft-lbs of torque engine is likely to be replaced by something that I am sure they want to be able to produce about 300BHP (while meeting the same long term durability requirements as the current 272BHP engine).

Though pfadt I believe claim to have a $1,200 kit that takes the current 272BHP engine up to 367BHP. That is one benefit that you get with turbocharged engines, you can make a good amount of more power then stock for not that much money. Even if they give it only 272BHP for the 2.0T Camaro if the next Camaro is light enough people will no doubt be pushing these engines to numbers even as high as 400BHP.

At the same time by continuing to offer the N/A V-6 engine they really provide two pretty different base experiences (for both the Camaro and Mustang). The torque surge of a turbocharged engine (with strong mid range punch) vs the building of torque in the N/A engines where the more you rev the more it gives you.

From the early reviews while I like the new Mustang I feel that they set their sites too low and could have done something really amazing. I think that the big difference with the 6th generation Camaro is that every engine model will be considered a performance vehicle. I still feel that with the 2015 Mustang that the 3.7L and 2.3T engine cars aren'y really performance cars more of a option against something like a Honda Accord coupe.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:37 AM   #70
benanderson89

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I think in this car the 4 cylinder will be the base engine, while the V6 will be the optional engine. Either that, or they will be so similarly priced (or priced the same) that it really won't be an option, but instead, just a preference.
Lets also not forget fuel economy. Although that wont be much of an issue in the USA with Gas prices only just now creeping up to around $4 a gallon, in the EU where prices are a minimum of $7.90 and can go as high as $10 a gallon, the fuel sipping capabilities of having two fewer cylinders would be the deal breaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
The turbo 4 is a good engine though, and can easily make around 300HP and 320 to 330 TQ without much of a sweat. If they price the turbo 4 and the V6 pretty much the same, as I mentioned at the beginning, then I'd expect a slight power bump to the turbo 4 to close the HP gap a bit.
Ford's EcoBoost and the base V6 are not that different in price, too. The HP differences are quite minimal to boot. 296hp for the 6 and 305hp for the 4. But as stated, the 6 gains the advantage by having power high in the rev range, where the 4 is more low/mid surge.

Though, from every review I've read of the Turbo 4 Mustang, both from the USA and the UK, the Turbo 4 is by far the better corner muncher. All the low down torque is better for exiting a corner, and the feather weight engine in comparison with the 6 and 8 make it a better balanced car, too.

Maybe being less nose heavy will be a selling for a 4-Pot Camaro, too. If you're not into drag racing the 4 would make an alarmingly good case for itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
When the 6th generation Camaro comes out it is rumored that the Cadillac ATS (and CTS) will get new engines which will likely also be used by the Camaro. Though part of this is to have more refined engines for Cadillac (with these engines likely filtering down to other models).
I wouldn't be surprised, TBH, if GM bore out the cylinders a fraction on the 2.0L unit to make it a 2.1 or 2.2L block instead. That little extra displacement could give it the power boost it needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
From the early reviews while I like the new Mustang I feel that they set their sites too low and could have done something really amazing. I think that the big difference with the 6th generation Camaro is that every engine model will be considered a performance vehicle. I still feel that with the 2015 Mustang that the 3.7L and 2.3T engine cars aren'y really performance cars more of a option against something like a Honda Accord coupe.
For the weight of the Mustang (1.7t?), 296 and 305hp do seem a little on the low side. But the EcoBoost can apparently do the 60mph sprint in 5.2s - its not BMW M3 bothering territory, but I'd say its a bit more than a humble Honda Accord
It still screaming fast by any metric and you could easily loose your license in a heartbeat.

Since the ATS weighs in at around 1.5t, I'd expect the Gen6 to weigh about the same if not less. The 300hp Turbo 4 + well chosen gear ratios and I think 5s dead or possibly lower could be achieved. In fact I'll be disappointed if it doesn't match the EcoBoost mustang at the very least.