#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-12-2019, 10:06 AM   #1
whiskeyfed
Pat

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT I4 Turbo A8
Taking my 2.0 to TNIA at Palmer (MA)

Figured I'd post here for the first time!

Signed up for TNIA at Palmer Motorsports Park in Massachusetts. Since I have never been on an actual track before, the track & classroom time is what I am after. It was way less expensive than I thought so I signed up for Sept 5th.

Got brand new Nitto tires and new brakes, and will be FBO by the time the 5th gets here.

Does anyone have any tips or feedback from TNIA? I know it is not a fullblown race, but I am still going to try and push the limits of my LTG. How strictly to they enforce db limits? What if I get stuck behind a slower car, etc. etc.

Goal for this car was to be a DD at first, but I enjoyed autocross so much that ive made it a dd that can go racing every now and then.

I am going to get track insurance god forbid something happens. It is less than $100 so Id rather be safe than sorry.

Any feedback is welcome!

Is RaceRender from HPT worth it? If it even costs anything? I have not looked into it at any depth as of yet.

Cheers!

Subscribe on YouTube Whiskeyfed Camaro

Follow my Build Thread The WhiskeyFed Camaro

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

DYNO SHEET: 297whp / 374wtq
Tuned by #danytechtuning
whiskeyfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:57 PM   #2
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Hey whiskey! TNIA is a great way to get on a track anywhere to get some initial experience to what its all about for any given track, and to get some basic classroom knowledge. You will learn where to give/get a point-by in classroom and they will give the locations where it is appropriate in certain "straightaways" for giving/taking such passes. Be ready for the hook to get set on becoming addicted. Yes Palmer does enforce sound. It is not a race, but it is normal to want to compare times to see how you stand against others and how you yourself progress through out the evenings sessions. I use the free TrackAddict app. Smart to have insurance, good thinking. Have fun!!
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:49 PM   #3
whiskeyfed
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2exceSS View Post
Hey whiskey! TNIA is a great way to get on a track anywhere to get some initial experience to what its all about for any given track, and to get some basic classroom knowledge. You will learn where to give/get a point-by in classroom and they will give the locations where it is appropriate in certain "straightaways" for giving/taking such passes. Be ready for the hook to get set on becoming addicted. Yes Palmer does enforce sound. It is not a race, but it is normal to want to compare times to see how you stand against others and how you yourself progress through out the evenings sessions. I use the free TrackAddict app. Smart to have insurance, good thinking. Have fun!!
Hey thanks so much for the info! TrackAddict was what I meant! Downloaded the app. Yeah I want to learn just as much as I want to race so like i said, this is a great opportunity.

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

Tuned by #danytechtuning
Old 07-12-2019, 11:51 PM   #4
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Nice. I'm interested to hear if you have any cooling issues and how you think the mishimoto cooling products perform on the track. I'm interested in taking my 2.0 to the track sometime as well and I haven't done any mods yet. I've theorized that with the stock tune I would be okay, but if tuned for more boost I might need to invest in the mishimoto oil cooler (I don't have the HD cooling/brake package). I'm also considering trading for a 1LE at some point but if I don't absolutely need to I'd rather not.

What brake fluid and pads are you running? I don't know anything about R1concepts brakes.

I think it should be a great track car, and with those tires I predict you'll be as fast or faster than anyone out there through the corners. That's really what the 2.0T is all about, momentum and carrying speed through turns, which is why its such a good autocross car.

If you are stuck behind a slow car you would likely need to wait for a pass by signal, although I'm not familiar with the details of TNIA rules.

have fun

Last edited by protovack; 07-13-2019 at 03:33 AM.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:59 AM   #5
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyfed View Post
Figured I'd post here for the first time!

Signed up for TNIA at Palmer Motorsports Park in Massachusetts. Since I have never been on an actual track before, the track & classroom time is what I am after. It was way less expensive than I thought so I signed up for Sept 5th.

Got brand new Nitto tires and new brakes, and will be FBO by the time the 5th gets here.

Does anyone have any tips or feedback from TNIA? I know it is not a fullblown race, but I am still going to try and push the limits of my LTG.
Even with some autocross experience, your comfort limits as a driver are going to be tested long before the limits of your car will be. Track driving isn't exactly like street driving except faster, the big track (perhaps Palmer in particular) is a bit different from any flat and wide-open parking lot, and a 1g corner at 90+ is a bit different from 1g at 50. You'll see . . .

Watch a variety of Palmer track day videos taken by people who have more than just a little track experience. Ideally from 6th or 5th gen Camaros, but also from generally similar cars (I'm thinking S550 and possibly S197 Mustangs in particular).

Don't worry about speeds down the straights or lap times at this point. Listen to your instructor and just let those other measures be what they're gonna be at this point. I will mention that if you developed "busy hands" at autocross that you should try to dial that back a bit.

Quote:
How strictly to they enforce db limits? What if I get stuck behind a slower car, etc. etc.
Don't know about db limits at Palmer, but items like passing will be gone over at the drivers' meeting, and don't assume that you're always going to be the faster one looking for a point-by either. Leave your ego at the front gate.

I think the novice run groups also get a debriefing period after each session as well.

Quote:
Goal for this car was to be a DD at first, but I enjoyed autocross so much that ive made it a dd that can go racing every now and then.
HPDE is not a race, nor does it have the direct element of competition in it that autocross does.

As a mindset thing, it's a lot more like a really brisk drive out in the country with a bunch of like-minded friends, minus things like potholes, oncoming traffic, stray pedestrians, and roadside chats with LEOs.

You "win" at HPDE when you learn something and get to drive your car home in the same condition that you drove it to the event in (minus a bit of tire and brake pad wear).

Norm
Old 07-13-2019, 09:18 AM   #6
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Here's a thread that has several "what to do" and "what to expect" post.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...+Night+America
Old 07-15-2019, 01:38 PM   #7
whiskeyfed
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
Nice. I'm interested to hear if you have any cooling issues and how you think the mishimoto cooling products perform on the track. I'm interested in taking my 2.0 to the track sometime as well and I haven't done any mods yet. I've theorized that with the stock tune I would be okay, but if tuned for more boost I might need to invest in the mishimoto oil cooler (I don't have the HD cooling/brake package). I'm also considering trading for a 1LE at some point but if I don't absolutely need to I'd rather not.

What brake fluid and pads are you running? I don't know anything about R1concepts brakes.

I think it should be a great track car, and with those tires I predict you'll be as fast or faster than anyone out there through the corners. That's really what the 2.0T is all about, momentum and carrying speed through turns, which is why its such a good autocross car.

If you are stuck behind a slow car you would likely need to wait for a pass by signal, although I'm not familiar with the details of TNIA rules.

have fun
As far as cooling, I hope that my front mount IC will help somewhat. I havent had any oil overheating issues, however, I would expect to be running hotter than normal.

Just for reference, I beat a V6 1LE on the autocross track at camarofest last year. Now, chalk it up to driver difference idk. But it was also my first time.

Im going to just run normal brake fluid and "street/sport pads" is I believe what I ordered. This car operates wonderfully on a tight course, I am curious how it will handle a full size racetrack.

Tuned by #danytechtuning
Old 07-15-2019, 01:43 PM   #8
whiskeyfed
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Even with some autocross experience, your comfort limits as a driver are going to be tested long before the limits of your car will be. Track driving isn't exactly like street driving except faster, the big track (perhaps Palmer in particular) is a bit different from any flat and wide-open parking lot, and a 1g corner at 90+ is a bit different from 1g at 50. You'll see . . .

Watch a variety of Palmer track day videos taken by people who have more than just a little track experience. Ideally from 6th or 5th gen Camaros, but also from generally similar cars (I'm thinking S550 and possibly S197 Mustangs in particular).

Don't worry about speeds down the straights or lap times at this point. Listen to your instructor and just let those other measures be what they're gonna be at this point. I will mention that if you developed "busy hands" at autocross that you should try to dial that back a bit.

Don't know about db limits at Palmer, but items like passing will be gone over at the drivers' meeting, and don't assume that you're always going to be the faster one looking for a point-by either. Leave your ego at the front gate.

I think the novice run groups also get a debriefing period after each session as well.

HPDE is not a race, nor does it have the direct element of competition in it that autocross does.

As a mindset thing, it's a lot more like a really brisk drive out in the country with a bunch of like-minded friends, minus things like potholes, oncoming traffic, stray pedestrians, and roadside chats with LEOs.

You "win" at HPDE when you learn something and get to drive your car home in the same condition that you drove it to the event in (minus a bit of tire and brake pad wear).

Norm
I have no ego to bring as I really don't have any expectations, so to say. I ran autocross for a couple days. I am using this as an opportunity to get better at what I enjoy. I am still doing it to get on a track, however. I want to continue to do this in the future, and the more I can learn actually doing it, the better.

My main goal is to really try and connect with the car and figure out its limits, flaws, strengths, etc. But yeah, I appreciate the info and I am looking very much forward to this!!!

Ill make sure to get some video and come away with more than I went with

Tuned by #danytechtuning
Old 07-15-2019, 02:12 PM   #9
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
Some basics are:

Brake fluid - DOT4 (Motul 600 is good) flush out old DOT3 if you have not done so.
Bleed brakes after each event.

Tires / Wheels - You are in a different model so I can't give you correct values
Check the torque on each lug nut . Torque to factory recommendations (140 pound feet on SS and ZL1 - post yours and I'll make notes)

Check tire pressure often. You should lower the tire pressure by 2psi before you start you first session. Check pressure often. Be prepared to lower pressure, due to heat in other sessions. Bring a gauge and pump and torque wrench.

Drive within yourself and have a blast.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:14 PM   #10
JayRow52

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LS 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafourche1 View Post
Some basics are:

Brake fluid - DOT4 (Motul 600 is good) flush out old DOT3 if you have not done so.

Tires / Wheels - You are in a different model so I can't give you correct values
Check the torque on each lug nut . Torque to factory recommendations (140 pound feet on SS and ZL1 - post yours and I'll make notes)

Check tire pressure often. You should lower the tire pressure by 2psi before you start you first session. Check pressure often. Be prepared to lower pressure, due to heat in other sessions. Bring a gauge and pump and torque wrench.

Lafourche1's advice is solid. Coming from a fellow 2.0T owner that tracks around once a month at Utah Motorsports Campus, flush that DOT3 fluid out and replace with Motul 600. One 20 minute session was enough to soften the brake pedal my first (and only) time out with the factory DOT3. His tire pressure advice and torque specs are accurate as well. I'd also recommend getting the track alignment. I had a lot of wear on the outside shoulders last year when I ran the stock specs. Pretty even wear this year with -1.6* and -1.25* front and rear respectively.

I haven't had any overheating issues on or off track. I had oil temps in the 255* F range after the last session last week with 100* ambient temp here in Utah. Just make good use of your cool down lap - take an extra lap around the parking lot if needed - and you should be fine.

I'm a TrackAddict app user as well, but I wouldn't worry about it for your first time out. Lastly, prepare yourself: you will get passed by a Miata There's always a Miata lol. Enjoy. Looking forward to hear how it goes.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:29 PM   #11
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Alternatively, go with Castrol SRF brake fluid and just bleed once a season.

Target 35-36 PSI max hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafourche1 View Post
Some basics are:

Old 07-23-2019, 03:10 PM   #12
ZZP_Tyler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
You're going to be absolutely hooked after your first time out, to mirror what other people said. I track mine quite a bit and it's an absolute blast, and I keep up with cars that way out power mine.

As everyone else has said, at minimum do a quality DOT 4 fluid. If your pads are the standard off the shelf R1 pads, you'll likely find the limit to them within your session(s), but fading pads is much less butt puckery than boiling fluid. What Nitto tires did you go with?

Without any of the fancy cooling, the only thing I've experienced is the trans getting a little pissed when hot. I've had temps similar to JayRows (high 250s) and the car handled it just fine.

Definitely interested to hear how you like it!
Old 07-23-2019, 03:24 PM   #13
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
One other ADD: If you have a locking lug nuts. Get rid of them. Replace it with the stock lug nuts. Do NOT torque locking nuts.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:26 PM   #14
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
have fun be safe!