Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-13-2019, 10:24 PM   #1
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
Stupid exhaust "volume" question.

LOL, so maybe not so stupid. I dunno. Volume. For all the youtube vids of these aftermarket systems, you really can't get a feel for the volume of one system to the next. You can get a feel for the tone and sound quality, and past experience with various systems and friend's rides, etc. etc. paint a picture of quality, but volume escapes me. The two systems that I seem to be drawn to are the AWE and the Borla S type. Seem to be two pretty common choices. I like the AWE tone more, but would love to keep the NPP. Using the stock NPP as a reference, can I get some thoughts on where you guys feel the AWE touring axle back and Borla S type axle back rate in terms of volume?

I would guess the AWE would fall in between closed NPP and open NPP, but I've seen a few threads where people discuss it actually being really quite loud. As for the Boral, frankly I don't care about where it is open, because I feel the louder the better. My concern is when closed. I want a little more bite than stock, but for it still to be civil. I know, I hate exhaust threads. You can go round and round for days. I just wanted to throw it out and see if anyone had any thoughts.
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:29 PM   #2
CoeusAscended

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS 2018
They're completely straight piped, so they will be louder than the NPP regardless of whether the valves are opened or closed, and since the S-type is muffled, it'll also be louder than that. What has me scratching my head though is how this sounds so different from the MBRP exhaust, which is also just straight piped, and what makes it sound so much better.
CoeusAscended is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:59 PM   #3
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
The AWE touring version does have mufflers. The track version is essentially a straight pipe and it does sound just like the MBRP. The touring version is actually pretty civil after initial startup and to me personally sounds better than the Borla.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 12:16 AM   #4
CoeusAscended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin View Post
The AWE touring version does have mufflers. The track version is essentially a straight pipe and it does sound just like the MBRP. The touring version is actually pretty civil after initial startup and to me personally sounds better than the Borla.
Ow my bad, of course they do. From the videos the MBRP sounds more raspy to me, or I need to watch them all again. Picking the right exhaust system is, cheesily enough, exhausting. One video an exhaust sounds great, other video it sounds like shit.
Old 12-14-2019, 12:57 AM   #5
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Another option to look at would be the Corsa Xtreme. It's got a nice rumble on startup but absolutely screams at full throttle. Here is what my car sounds like with AWE track edition if your wanting the absolute loudest granted it's got a few extra goodies. https://www.instagram.com/p/B5IYQRwhYAB/?hl=en
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:19 AM   #6
Abubaca

I appreciate the responses guys.

...I do NOT want super loud. -at least, not all the time. Definitely don't wanna go the straight pipe/AWE Track/MBRP route. That's why I was considering the AWE touring. ...and then of course the Borla. Loud when open, but presumably civil when closed.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:14 AM   #7
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
The Corsa Extreme is loud. There is a video on Youtube where it gets compared to stock NPP and Borla Attack. Per digital SPL meter readings, The Corsa averages 3db louder then Borla Attack from idle on up with the Borla open and 6db louder when closed. So the Corsa is about 30% louder compared to the Borla open and 60% louder when closed.

Also you might want to wait till this spring, word is Corsa is releasing a NPP version for our cars.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:23 PM   #8
CoeusAscended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abubaca View Post
I appreciate the responses guys.

...I do NOT want super loud. -at least, not all the time. Definitely don't wanna go the straight pipe/AWE Track/MBRP route. That's why I was considering the AWE touring. ...and then of course the Borla. Loud when open, but presumably civil when closed.
Note, the guys at AWE mention in all their comments that the touring is as loud as the track version, the only difference being cabin drone. You'd say that being muffled would lessen the volume but apparently not, so keep that in mind.
Old 12-14-2019, 03:34 PM   #9
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
I have the AWE Touring Non-Resonated with the 180 degree cans on the back.
Is it louder than NPP open...hell yeah!
Of course at start up the neighborhood wakes up to get ready for work, but as I cruise up the road...some fall back to sleep, it's not all that bad IF you're not on it.

A co-worker has a Borla Atak on his Challenger, and the AWE Non-Resonated is much louder for comparison. I also have Kooks Headers Catted.

I don't have any drone, and it is NOT as loud as the Track Non-Resonated that's for sure. Or as loud as Puddin is, but dayum his sounds good!

It has a rasp without the resonators when stepping on it, but I like that raspy sound due to my M3 days with Eisemann Exhausts.

The thing with AWE, is you can always add/delete resonators if you like, of course you'll need to pay for the resonators, but it is an option.

Last edited by OVRKLL; 12-14-2019 at 09:18 PM.
OVRKLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 03:48 PM   #10
keystonemedical

Drives: 2019 ZL1 / LE , 2014 CTS V
Quote:
Another option to look at would be the Corsa Xtreme. It's got a nice rumble on startup but absolutely screams at full throttle. Here is what my car sounds like with AWE track edition if your wanting the absolute loudest granted it's got a few extra goodies. https://www.instagram.com/p/B5IYQRwhYAB/?hl=en

yeah, thats quite impressive.....
keystonemedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:36 AM   #11
Abubaca

Quote:
Also you might want to wait till this spring, word is Corsa is releasing a NPP version for our cars.
Hmmm....that's certainly interesting. I'd be very interested in that.

Quote:
Note, the guys at AWE mention in all their comments that the touring is as loud as the track version, the only difference being cabin drone. You'd say that being muffled would lessen the volume but apparently not, so keep that in mind.

Quote:
I have the AWE Touring Non-Resonated with the 180 degree cans on the back.
Is it louder than NPP open...hell yeah!

Sounds like the AWE, without a quiet mode, might be a little more than I want to have full time. ...sure sounds good though! We'll see!
Old 12-15-2019, 10:01 AM   #12
Chris C 1SS 1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:

This was my dilemma and since desire was to maintain NPP, went Borla. In steps. 60606 (discontinued) then ATAK. With volume I have glad I didn't go Corsa. That's me. Corsa makes quality stuff.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:34 AM   #13
Abubaca

I'd be interested in a Corsa NPP system. Maybe with the "Sport" mufflers instead of the Extreme. I've heard several C6 and C7s with the Corsa sport system and they sound awesome....but....I'd like a little more volume at times..... If they were part of a dual mode system.....
Old 12-15-2019, 07:35 PM   #14
Abubaca

Quote:
I'd be interested in a Corsa NPP system. Maybe with the "Sport" mufflers instead of the Extreme. I've heard several C6 and C7s with the Corsa sport system and they sound awesome....but....I'd like a little more volume at times..... If they were part of a dual mode system.....

Made this statement a few hours ago, and since then have been reading up a bit on their C7 Corvette system. Presumably the Camaro version will be the same. Anyhow, apparently this is what it is. Sport muffler with the bypass for open mode. Why it's taken so long I don't know, but there's not much better of a sound than the Corsa sport in my opinion, it could just use some more volume at times. Apparently we will soon have just that!!!!!!!!!