Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-07-2016, 12:13 PM   #43
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
Wait…. The C7 people are reporting power loss due to the direct injection and carbon build up with as little as 20k miles on their cars!!!!????? That's absolutely ridiculous, if that's the case, sign me out. Do you have a link where they reported this?
Yes power loss starts to happen around then.

Right now on the corvette forums we are in the process of proving it. Data will come soon.

My find post where I linked
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:41 PM   #44
mikeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
Because it IS a catch can...it collects excess oil and drains it into the oil pan. http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434759

That is a catch can by definition, whether you agree or not. While it may not be in the optimum place according to some, GM engineers wouldn't have added it if it wasn't going to help. I will still be adding an additional one, as I always run one.

That is incorrect, as multiple 2011 and later Z06's have had the issue, including the one my brother owned (a 2012).

Good post, and so true...

Now this is a man who makes sense...
The problem comes from the PCV , GM addressed the clean side. Which was never even that big of a problem. Just understand that. 95% of the problem comes from the PCV.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:54 PM   #45
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
The problem comes from the PCV , GM addressed the clean side. Which was never even that big of a problem. Just understand that. 95% of the problem comes from the PCV.
Not entirely true...as I've said, I've own multiple DI engines, how many have you owned?

Like I said, if you run top tier fuel, do regular oil changes with good oil and toss on a catch can you will be fine. depending on how much you drive, you may need to do a top end cleaning, which is not expensive or a big issue. On one car at 50K I had the top end cleaned for like $225...that is worth the price of admission if you ask me.

You just seen anti-DI no matter what the case, which is fine as we all can make choices, but you are tossing around some falsities that aren't true for all engines with DI.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:00 PM   #46
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
You can always swap out the AFM lifters, and even delete the VVT when doing a cam swap.

But the main reason to get rid of the LT1 is direct injection. Direct injection is the worse thing to come out of the industry in the past 10 years. cars are needing manual cleaning at 40k miles.

Even when you put a catch can system on, carbon will happen over time. just not as fast.

the LS motors are built to last, and pull 10s.
That Stingray was a gentle breeze away from 9s.

Oh now I see the point about DI. Is it that bad?

Can't we inject some meth through the manifold if that worries us? Still much cheaper than a swap.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:00 PM   #47
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
After having had 6 LS engined Chevys, I can say they were all very dependable and reasonably well powered, but the LT1 has all the power and torque you could possibly ask for. As far as I have read, there are no general failures of any of the engine's internals or peripherals. The simple thought of going backward with technology doesn't pass my "giggle test"! Bad, costly, unreasonable suggestion.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:08 PM   #48
mikeSS

Quote:
Not entirely true...as I've said, I've own multiple DI engines, how many have you owned?

Like I said, if you run top tier fuel, do regular oil changes with good oil and toss on a catch can you will be fine. depending on how much you drive, you may need to do a top end cleaning, which is not expensive or a big issue. On one car at 50K I had the top end cleaned for like $225...that is worth the price of admission if you ask me.

You just seen anti-DI no matter what the case, which is fine as we all can make choices, but you are tossing around some falsities that aren't true for all engines with DI.
So I have to mod a emission control system just to keep the power I paid for ? What happens to the MILLIONS of cars that don't do this. All they do is follow the GM manual. Yet will see problems, is that fair to the people?
Old 04-07-2016, 01:10 PM   #49
mikeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
That Stingray was a gentle breeze away from 9s.

Oh now I see the point about DI. Is it that bad?

Can't we inject some meth through the manifold if that worries us? Still much cheaper than a swap.
You guys are new the the LT1. We on the vette forum have been talking about this since 2013. There are a lot of professional shops and people saying these engines will have problems because of build up.

We have a thread created now to prove it. Data will come soon.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:15 PM   #50
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
There are a lot of professional shops and people saying these engines will have problems because of build up.
Build up that the owner let happen by:

1: Not running top tier gas. Many gas stations people think are top tier, are not.
2: Not doing proper oil changes. Meaning do not by the OLM.
3: Not installing a catch can.
4: Not getting the top end cleaned when needed.

Build up is something that can be prevented, or cleaned...simple as that.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:20 PM   #51
Atra

Drives: 16' 1SS M6
This thread is stupid. That is all. Run whatever engine you want but leave your fear mongering about engine failures at the damn door. Whinge elsewhere.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:23 PM   #52
mikeSS

Quote:
Build up that the owner let happen by:

1: Not running top tier gas. Many gas stations people think are top tier, are not.
2: Not doing proper oil changes. Meaning do not by the OLM.
3: Not installing a catch can.
4: Not getting the top end cleaned when needed.

Build up is something that can be prevented, or cleaned...simple as that.
ROFL so it's the owners fault for not installing a catch can!

So I have to mod my PCV (which is a federal crime) not to get build up!

What a joke Oh btw, top engine cleaners will do more harm than good. When Carbon breaks off the valve where do you think it goes ? When I get home I will get you more data on that.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:05 PM   #53
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
ROFL so it's the owners fault for not installing a catch can!
No, but the other three points I made are. It's $100, anyone buying a car with an LT1 can afford that...

Quote:
So I have to mod my PCV (which is a federal crime) not to get build up!
Oh please, you are are a car forum...hundreds of mods can make a car not CAFE compliment and such.

Quote:
What a joke Oh btw, top engine cleaners will do more harm than good. When Carbon breaks off the valve where do you think it goes ? When I get home I will get you more data on that.
Not Sea Foam or some crap like that. Dealers have specific cleaning procedures for DI.

Why are you even here? You are a borderline troll, all you keep bringing up is this "data" which is coming from a car forum of all places. Sounds more to me like you are trying to get something from this "data" which you are directly involved with. It is pretty obvious you think you know more about DI then you actually do...and when you said this "Direct injection is the worse thing to come out of the industry in the past 10 years.", I knew that was the case...

On that note, think what you wish...I'm done wasting my time on this subject.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:14 PM   #54
mikeSS

Quote:
No, but the other three points I made are. It's $100, anyone buying a car with an LT1 can afford that...

Oh please, you are are a car forum...hundreds of mods can make a car not CAFE compliment and such.

Not Sea Foam or some crap like that. Dealers have specific cleaning procedures for DI.

Why are you even here? You are a borderline troll, all you keep bringing up is this "data" which is coming from a car forum of all places. Sounds more to me like you are trying to get something from this "data" which you are directly involved with. It is pretty obvious you think you know more about DI then you actually do...and when you said this "Direct injection is the worse thing to come out of the industry in the past 10 years.", I knew that was the case...

On that note, think what you wish...I'm done wasting my time on this subject.
I am telling you if your valves have carbon on them, and you use a cleaner. Bits of carbon fall off and get stuck on the cats.

I am here because I own a car with a LT1 v8 engine. This engine had a lot of great things, and one bad thing.

I will leave now, and will return with my so called data. Probably few weeks
Old 04-07-2016, 02:19 PM   #55
Atra

Drives: 16' 1SS M6
Quote:
I am telling you if your valves have carbon on them, and you use a cleaner. Bits of carbon fall off and get stuck on the cats.

I am here because I own a car with a LT1 v8 engine. This engine had a lot of great things, and one bad thing.

I will leave now, and will return with my so called data. Probably few weeks
BYE!
Old 04-07-2016, 10:55 PM   #56
Mpm6808

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS
Mpm6808 is offline   Reply With Quote