Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-06-2016, 08:15 PM   #29
2016SS

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS
DI engines have been around for awhile I had one in my 2008 cobalt SS turbo direct injection engine was bullet proof for a 2.0 example and we are talking torque. Made 242 pounds of torque stock to the wheels intake and upper charge pipe GM sensors and a tune 370 to the wheels 128 pounds of extra torque .

300hp to the wheels but that torque tell you I was embarrassing cars worth much more money!

I will say where I found the weak spot was the head and injectors caked up around 58000 km but I tuned the car at only 1100 Kms drove it 5 summers 10000 km a year before I had a issue.
2016 Camaro 2SS Summit built 3/28/16 delivered
2018 Camaro ZL1 cancelled by GM 😡
2019 Corvette 2lt Z51
2016SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:54 PM   #30
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
Same reason why i sold my cammed LS3 camaro.

Funny how people went through the same thing.
Quote:
I would have no problem buying a LS7 crate motor today, but if you are still worried buy a LS3 instead. The LS3 is rock solid.
So, now I'm confused - you sold your performance modified LS3 because of concerns about reliability especially valve train failures (if I remember right you popped a valve spring) but yet you are advising others that the LS3 is rock solid.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:00 PM   #31
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
The catch can on the LT1 camaro has nothing to do with the PCV. the PCV is where the oil is coming from, not the clean side.

Same reason why you see people installing catch cans on camaros.

Amazes me how many people think the factory system on the camaro is a catch can.
This!

GM did a good job outlining their new system and had you thinking we were covered... but failed to outline the overflow pressure from the PCV and CCV. The systems available are already showing how much is flowing through these overflows. I can only imagine what those valves without a CC on the PCV and CCV side will look like at 30k miles.

Damn emissions...
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:05 PM   #32
Waiting46

Drives: 1981 silver corvette,Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
What about the LS3 then ?

Its unacceptable some of the problems the LS7 had.

Its also unacceptable that my LT1 engine might need carbon cleaning at 30-40k. when you buy a new car, your car should last a reasonable amount of miles with a reasonable amount of care. I paid for 460HP, 465TQ period.

Some of the new tech is great, some of it has caused other problems.

Why would i buy a chevy product if i have such a big problem with this? because It was either I buy a corvette or it was a foreign car which all have GDI engines.
would you rather go back to a time when you had to change out your oil twice a year because you couldnt get a summer/winter hybrid blend? or when you had to baby it to get it to start on a cold morning?

Youre getting 460/460 in a time when regulations are trying to slam large displacement engines and complaining that youll have to do routine maintenance on the vehicle? enjoy your hp/tq and take care of the car. or dont get it. old cars are still available if you want more "reliable" technology.
Waiting46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:12 PM   #33
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
So, now I'm confused - you sold your performance modified LS3 because of concerns about reliability especially valve train failures (if I remember right you popped a valve spring) but yet you are advising others that the LS3 is rock solid.
The LS3 engine is rock solid. Meaning that when stock OR somewhat stock. That engine will last many years of running perfect/near perfect. It will also be easy to repair.

My car was modded, any car modded you are going to worry about something going wrong.

I broke a AFTERMARKET spring, because i revved my engine cold. You seriously cant blame a failure on a aftermarket part with regards to the LS3 engine being reliable.

the new LT1, people are predicting that engine will have problems when you start putting miles on it. I was told from people on the corvette forum that by 20k miles i should start seeing power loss because of direct injection carbon build up. Over the miles the loss becomes greater....

People left and right recommend adding catch cans, and run cleaners through the engine. Just to keep the factory power. I don't expect my engine to run forever, but i at least expect it to run good for 80k-100k miles.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:23 PM   #34
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting46 View Post
would you rather go back to a time when you had to change out your oil twice a year because you couldnt get a summer/winter hybrid blend? or when you had to baby it to get it to start on a cold morning?

Youre getting 460/460 in a time when regulations are trying to slam large displacement engines and complaining that youll have to do routine maintenance on the vehicle? enjoy your hp/tq and take care of the car. or dont get it. old cars are still available if you want more "reliable" technology.
I just want my engine to last a reasonable amount of time, with a reasonable amount of care.

Meaning i use the right fuel, get oil changes on time, do not abuse the car. losing power at 20k miles?

I guess 20k miles is the new 100k miles in today world.

Yes take me back to when they still use port injection.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:30 PM   #35
2016SS

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
This!

GM did a good job outlining their new system and had you thinking we were covered... but failed to outline the overflow pressure from the PCV and CCV. The systems available are already showing how much is flowing through these overflows. I can only imagine what those valves without a CC on the PCV and CCV side will look like at 30k miles.

Damn emissions...
Plus 1 that's what happened to my SS/TC it caked up the valves needed new injectors and a head tried sea foaming it wouldn't work.
2016 Camaro 2SS Summit built 3/28/16 delivered
2018 Camaro ZL1 cancelled by GM 😡
2019 Corvette 2lt Z51
2016SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:41 AM   #36
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Wait…. The C7 people are reporting power loss due to the direct injection and carbon build up with as little as 20k miles on their cars!!!!????? That's absolutely ridiculous, if that's the case, sign me out. Do you have a link where they reported this?
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:54 AM   #37
andrec10

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS 6SP/Suby Legacy 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
Well, everyone has their own experience and preference. My mighty LS3 in the 2010 may have been mod friendly but was not durable. After only 17000 miles the aftermarket comp cam and the lifters decided to eat each other. I learned what "pay to play" meant and it hurt. In fact after the top end was rebuilt I just couldn't enjoy the car anymore - I was always worrying about the next noise or vibration. So I sold it and went 2 years without a fun car in the garage until a Hyper Blue beauty came into my life.

I'm loving the hell out of my new LT1 including the direct injection. Even with less HP than my old modded LS3 this LT1 is impressive and just as quick. Engineers much smarter than me have spent thousands of hours sorting out the drivetrain on the Gen 6 to make it superior to the Gen 5 in every way. I'm leaving it alone.

Its Here! Finally came home on 3-31-16! Red Hot 2SS,6 Speed, NPP, MRC, Adrenaline Red interior, Silver Rally Stripes, NAV, Sunroof, 56W Split Spoke Wheels, Body color Hood vents, Body color Splash Guards and winter protection package.

Ordered 1-28-16: 1100
2-11-2016 :2000
2-15-2016: 3000 TPW of 3/7...That went quick!
2-26-2016: 3400 Status TPW 3/7
3-5-2016 : 3800
3-8-2016 : 4300
3-11-2016 : 4B00
3-15-2016 : 4200
3-22-2016 : 4800
3-29-2016 : 6000!
andrec10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:00 AM   #38
Lucely Engineered

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
Considering an engine swap over something that can be considered a $200 maintenance every 50,000 miles. I feel like this is a huge over reaction to something every vehicle will have in the future due to ever changing regulations. GM has been doing DI in production cars for many years now. Just cant win with everyone i guess, people complained that the LS engine was old technology, and when they add new technology people get upset as well.

At 80,000 miles my BMW had no significant loss in power, and that was a twin turbo car. I had the intake blasted anyways. Oh no, $200 in maintenance, thats the price of a couple oil changes. From the LT intakes ive seen with miles on them they are no worse than the LS3 intakes ive seen dripping with oil because they had no catch can.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:23 AM   #39
TSloper

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
The EPA is not going away anytime soon. The regulations are going to continue to drive the manufacturers to create and adopt new technologies with each generation of engine. Overall this is a positive. If it weren't for these stringent regulations we wouldn't be driving mass production cars delivered with 460 HP in stock trim that get 30 MPG on average. The EPA regulations effectively force the manufacturers to increase efficiency which in turns creates the potential to make great HP figures without going to radical cams. It would have taken a fairly radical H/C setup on the LS1 to approach what the LT1 is doing stock (with cats).

Poo pooing these new technologies is just a display of ignorance. Yes there are compromises here and there but I don't think some here truly appreciate the engineering that has gone into the LT1 or the LT4. People are already freaking out over carbon buildup and there isn't a single documented case of a LT1 that has suffered any power loss from it. How silly is that? If you are that worried go invest some $ in a Mishimoto catch can and be done with it. It works very well.

Some of you want to do motor swaps and deal with all of the issues that go along with that but can't handle getting 8 valve stems cleaned up?????
TSloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:43 AM   #40
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Amazes me how many people think the factory system on the camaro is a catch can.
Because it IS a catch can...it collects excess oil and drains it into the oil pan. http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434759

That is a catch can by definition, whether you agree or not. While it may not be in the optimum place according to some, GM engineers wouldn't have added it if it wasn't going to help. I will still be adding an additional one, as I always run one.

Quote:
apparently the LS7 had valves dropping, causing engine failures.

GM made a statement about it, and fixed it in 2011 i believe.
That is incorrect, as multiple 2011 and later Z06's have had the issue, including the one my brother owned (a 2012).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucely Engineered View Post
Oh no, $200 in maintenance, thats the price of a couple oil changes. From the LT intakes ive seen with miles on them they are no worse than the LS3 intakes ive seen dripping with oil because they had no catch can.
Good post, and so true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSloper
Poo pooing these new technologies is just a display of ignorance. Yes there are compromises here and there but I don't think some here truly appreciate the engineering that has gone into the LT1 or the LT4. People are already freaking out over carbon buildup and there isn't a single documented case of a LT1 that has suffered any power loss from it. How silly is that? If you are that worried go invest some $ in a Mishimoto catch can and be done with it. It works very well.

Some of you want to do motor swaps and deal with all of the issues that go along with that but can't handle getting 8 valve stems cleaned up?????
Now this is a man who makes sense...

Last edited by SS 1LE; 04-07-2016 at 09:58 AM.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:11 AM   #41
Brutus2

Drives: White 2016 Camaro SS 1ss A/8 MR NPP
So after reading this thread this is what i come up with.... Direct injection is directly responsible for 30 to 40 hp gain and improved gas mileage and eliminates some problems inherent in conventionally injected engines while gaining its own inherent problem. This problem is negated by having a bi-annual valve clean up job that costs anywhere from $200 to $400. Sounds like a good trade-off to me.

Seems like a simple job. I think that after watching it done by a pro, it will be something that can be done in my garage.
Brutus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:17 AM   #42
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Can somebody post exactly what is done to clean the valves, how the procedure should be done and the best places to get it done? I would like to be educated on this process
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote