Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-19-2018, 10:59 AM   #85
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
^^^Yes, you already posted that. Let's see the datalog that corroborates no heat soak or timing pull, a true apples-to-apples comparison.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:53 AM   #86
2SSAustin

Drives: 1LE 2SS Camaro
Yep this was a big problem in my Audi S4. The 3.0 TFSI engine was baaaaaaad for gunk buildup on valves, Let the car warm up and drive it and try go farther than 5 kms a trip and dont ***** foot it
2SSAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 03:54 PM   #87
mdhopt36

Drives: '17- 1ag37 V6 traded, for 1SS 2018!
Not sure my butt dyno would notice. (?)
mdhopt36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:37 AM   #88
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
You're arrogant AF, think you know everything, LOL... You have no idea who you're talking to on here buddy. But I can tell you, if some of the $hit you say on here was an IRL conversation you'd look like a complete idiot. Some of us here might just be engineers involved in designing the things you think you know so much about. Lol...

For all those thinking you NEED a catch can on a stock motor that is mostly street driven and are willing to risk your warranty over it... you think you know better then the engineers who designed the motor? All of your ideas are based on conspiracy-esque theories, it's just ridiculous.
If you spoke to Ryephile “IRL” the nicest way I’ll put it is that you’d be “humbled”.

I’m sorry, but I have to say your comments about engineers on here and your defenseive statements against people presenting engineering knowledge and/or data is ironic in that it clearly indicates your standing and understanding...

With DI, valve deposits come from two major sources: 1. oily vapor and 2. particulate flow-back

To my knowledge, DI is good for creating a very closely controlled homogeneous mixture, but is susceptible to a less complete atomized mixture at times.

The oily vapors originate from crankcase oil vapor/blowby vapor. The PCV system deals with these vapors. A PCV system consists of a “clean-side” and a “dirty-side” circuit.

The “catchcan” system that is factory to the Camaro LT1 is on the clean-side of the crankcase ventilation circuit. Can you guess why it’s called the “clean-side”?

The dirty-side, where the PCV valve is, and the circuit that connects post TB is not dealt with from the factory. Why? NOT because it doesn’t need to or shouldn’t; it’s because there isn’t a cheap, easy, non-general-customer-impacting solution. Can you guess why it’s the “dirty-side”?

The particulates from flow-back comes from exhaust and is nothing new in an ICE. But why the sometimes poorly atomized mixtures? Well, consider the time the fuel gets to mix with air being the injection point at the last point before combustion (in the camber). The point isn’t that this is exclusive to DI (it isn’t) - it is that it is there, DI still has limitations and it is a contributor to dirty valves.

This is where PFI+DI comes in ($$+complexity).

With the two sources in mind, since you simply don’t have the fuel physically in the needed location to act as a cleaning agent, you then need to focus on the PCV system (also the simpler area to attack).

Besides dirty valves, what do you think oily air does to combustion?
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:13 AM   #89
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post

For all those thinking you NEED a catch can on a stock motor that is mostly street driven and are willing to risk your warranty over it... you think you know better then the engineers who designed the motor? All of your ideas are based on conspiracy-esque theories, it's just ridiculous.
Well, to be fair, the goal of the company is to sell cars and make $$$. I have serious doubts whether all the electronics of modern cars will be still working in 10-15 years, but that's not the point, the point is to sell cars today and now. If it were designed perfectly, it'd have things like oil drain valves where we just turn a petcock valve and then the oil filter would be at the top of the engine and removable by hand (some new subarus/toyotas have this). The point is the engineers design the car to meet a pricepoint, not to engineer the perfect machine.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:23 AM   #90
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Just broke the seal. 60,000 miles was bone stock. Change the oil per the dic

It’s fine. Car kept getting faster with age. Car ran approximately 118mph with only a 26” dr right before I took off the manifold. Until it starts actually effecting something, I’m not going to worry about it.
Attached Images

Last edited by 6spdhyperblue; 10-21-2018 at 10:45 AM.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:49 AM   #91
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
A PCV system consists of a “clean-side” and a “dirty-side” circuit.

Can you guess why it’s called the “clean-side”?

Can you guess why it’s the “dirty-side”?

Besides dirty valves, what do you think oily air does to combustion?

Can you be more pedantic and condescending?

You and rye should get a room together, jeesh!

I'd guess you're both young, inexperienced engineers from the way you talk down to everyone.
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:04 AM   #92
98_Camaro

Drives: 2016 2SS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post

It’s fine. Car kept getting faster with age. Car ran approximately 118mph with only a 26” dr right before I took off the manifold. Until it starts actually effecting something, I’m not going to worry about it.
That's interesting. Just out of curiosity, what's your commute like? I only live a couple miles from work, so I'm worried about buildup by virtue of the engine not getting hot, but it's not like I don't let it rip on the weekends either...
2016 Summit White 2SS Coupe M6, NPP, & MRC
Now Driving:
2016 Torch Red Corvette 2LT, NPP, MRC
98_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:49 AM   #93
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:

Thanks for sharing that!
Old 10-21-2018, 12:10 PM   #94
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Quote:

Thank You for this. Actual experience/example with our cars, and plenty of mileage.

And no offence to anyone, but if you are trying to sell something, or even if you bought sonething, it's going to be harder to believe, as you may have monetary motivations for what you say. If we don't know you personally, and since we can't read your mind, there is always that possiblity someone has an agenda.(and humans almost always have an agenda, if making money or rationalizing a purchase)
Old 10-21-2018, 12:19 PM   #95
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyeSS View Post
Thank You for this. Actual experience/example with our cars, and plenty of mileage.

And no offence to anyone, but if you are trying to sell something, or even if you bought sonething, it's going to be harder to believe, as you may have monetary motivations for what you say. If we don't know you personally, and since we can't read your mind, there is always that possiblity someone has an agenda.(and humans almost always have an agenda, if making money or rationalizing a purchase)
Amen. That is why when I started this thread, I put "High Mileage V8 Owners" in the title, not "vendors".
Old 10-21-2018, 01:05 PM   #96
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:

Name:  D567910A-22E4-4A01-92E7-C60779378E43.jpeg
Views: 362
Size:  81.0 KB
Thank you for this. Proof that a catch can is not needed. I think they pose a greater risk for doing harm than they do a benifit.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:32 PM   #97
Whocares05050

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Thank you for this. Proof that a catch can is not needed. I think they pose a greater risk for doing harm than they do a benifit.

What proof is 1 sample size? Do you know any other variables? Highway miles? Racing miles? I hope you are not a lab technician lol

What evidence do you have that a CC does harm vs does good? Added oil vapors in the intake system on DI engines not only lower octane levels but coat parts that will never be washed off with fuel. For this one picture I can show you others totally packed with carbon. It has so many variable like driving habits, types of oils, etc. If you don't want one then great, of you do then great. I am not sure why so many guys need to justify "not" having one.
Whocares05050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:43 PM   #98
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whocares05050 View Post
What proof is 1 sample size? Do you know any other variables? Highway miles? Racing miles? I hope you are not a lab technician lol

What evidence do you have that a CC does harm vs does good? Added oil vapors in the intake system on DI engines not only lower octane levels but coat parts that will never be washed off with fuel. For this one picture I can show you others totally packed with carbon. It has so many variable like driving habits, types of oils, etc. If you don't want one then great, of you do then great. I am not sure why so many guys need to justify "not" having one.
I would like to see the pics on ecotec/LTx totally packed with carbon with miles for comparison if you can post them up pls