Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-08-2022, 04:16 AM   #1
Kenobi13

Drives: 2021 chevy camaro LT1
2021 Camaro LT1 rear brake upgrade

Hey guys so I have 2021 camaro lt1 auto trans and I want to upgrade the rear brakes to the bigger ones because I hate how it looks on the rear. I ordered a bigger rear caliper it's an OEM (AC Delco company ) it was saying it will fit to the car but then when we were changing it basically the E-brake does not work with that caliper and also I read in the forum that even stock SS rear calipers does not fit LT1 because of the E-Brake. Does any body upgraded the rear brakes on LT1 and what kind of brand and what kind of changes must be done to be upgraded it.

Thank you
Kenobi13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 08:33 AM   #2
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
There are several threads on this topic if you search. I listed a few of them below. I didn’t find anybody that was able to convert the brakes due to the difference in the parking brake design.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568361

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587884
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 09:47 AM   #3
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
I wanted to do the same and have tried to keep up with all the forums and people who have tried but they are two completely different systems and no one as far as I know has been able to make it work and keep the systems working as OEM. Each system is so engrained into the how the computer controls the car. I would hate to be in an accident then be held liable for changing a safety system on a car. Lawyers would have a field day with that. For track days I upgrade the pads to GLoc R10/R8 on the back and change to SRF fluid and they perform well.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 01:17 PM   #4
Kenobi13

Drives: 2021 chevy camaro LT1
Awesome thank you guys
Kenobi13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 07:49 AM   #5
Gammaray2008

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 1LT 2018 v6
I think GM did this with the intention of not changing or not being able to make changes to the rear breakers, the same thing happens with the radio system, changing from 7 to 8 inches, and this is frustrating.
Gammaray2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 09:10 AM   #6
BatMobileLT1

Drives: 2023 Camaro LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenobi13 View Post
Hey guys so I have 2021 camaro lt1 auto trans and I want to upgrade the rear brakes to the bigger ones because I hate how it looks on the rear. I ordered a bigger rear caliper it's an OEM (AC Delco company ) it was saying it will fit to the car but then when we were changing it basically the E-brake does not work with that caliper and also I read in the forum that even stock SS rear calipers does not fit LT1 because of the E-Brake. Does any body upgraded the rear brakes on LT1 and what kind of brand and what kind of changes must be done to be upgraded it.

Thank you
Also see this thread
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...7#post11340917
and my below post (picture in link) if you are interested in improving the looks of the rear brakes w/red (or black..) rear caliper covers from mgp caliper covers.
I am very happy with how this improves the rear wheel/brake appearance given that for LT1 model we can't really upgrade the brakes themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatMobileLT1 View Post
Unfortunately there is no good way to upgrade the rear brakes on the LT-1 model - search this forum for more details but the summary is that the electronic parking brake is integrated w/rear calipers (instead of separate for SS).
However, I found a very good fix for the small rear caliper appearance issue with mgp caliper covers - see https://www.calipercovers.com/
Their web site auto selection option do not cover LT1 (just regular LT and SS), however I sent them pictures of my rear calipers and they gave me a custom quote that they said was under order part # 14240 for just rear LT1 caliper covers. You could contact them and see if they can get some that would work for you.

My dealers service technician installed them with no issues and they make rear calipers look bigger and I love getting them red to match the front calipers.
Pictures below:
Old 03-30-2024, 11:08 PM   #7
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
The LT1 was never intended by GM to be a track car, it was built as a cheap entry level street V8 so in some areas like the rear brakes it’s not going to be a simple bolt on, I think pads are your best bet.
Also keep in mind I don’t think the LT1 carries the warrant for track use like the SS or ZL1. That may not matter to some but just a FYI