Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 06-05-2018, 01:25 PM   #1
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Tire bloom and tire coating

I hate tire Browning. Also known as tire "bloom", it happens to a lot of new tires and has to do with oxidation etc.… Here's an easy way to get rid of it for years. Use stoners tarminator to get the wheel clean, then rinse it with water, and apply a tire coating. Use an applicator, never spray tire. This is not a tire dressing, this is a true coating, so therefore it lasts 3-6 months....

Before:

Finished

The stuff:
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:26 PM   #2
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
The browning or blooming is caused by an anti-ozonant that is added to the rubber during manufacturing.

This organic compound protects the rubber from premature deterioration caused by exposure to extreme weather elements. It prevents the material from drying, peeling, and cracking.

The rubber compounds in your tire are engineered to retain a specific level of anti-ozonant to be continually pushed on the outside of the tire to protect the surface and the sidewall from oxidation.

When the anti-ozonant is exposed to air, moisture, and heat, it quickly oxidizes into a brownish residue. That’s the story behind tire blooming.

I've tried several cleaners, the Tarminator does work well. Adams tire & rubber cleaner also works really well. Dish soap will also work if they aren't really bad.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:31 PM   #3
Glen e

Thanks Joe , I knew you would explain it. I really didn't care to. I just know that it's happened on every new tire I've ever had at some point. It really detracts from even the most perfectly detailed car.

I put on a shit armor all coating a few years ago, that looked like hell, and I couldn't get it off. I called armor all tech service and they recommend tarminator to get it off. Ever since then I've been a believer in the stuff for tires in addition to front end tar problems.

I found that dish soap, reset or car shampooed will get rid of it, but it comes back, it doesn't come back for me with Tarminator.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:02 PM   #4
wrankin
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2016 Black 2SS
Well you learn something every day. Thanks for the explanations. TAC System Tire Dressing helps some. More products to buy!

Bill
2013 2SS / RS - AGM / Jet Black (sold)
1970 1/2 Z/28 Classic Copper / Tan (sold many years ago)
wrankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:28 PM   #5
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Tuf Shine tire cleaner is the strongest i have tried. Tarminator may be a bit expensive for me to use since I do so many cars.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:34 PM   #6
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Tuf Shine tire cleaner is the strongest i have tried. Tarminator may be a bit expensive for me to use since I do so many cars.
This is written for the guys that have tarminator on the shelf and use it on the front End. I've had the same Can of tarminator for the last three years, you don't do this more than once a year…And I'm sure whatever bug and tar remover anyone has , will work.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:47 PM   #7
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Gotta try me some of this Tarminator...

Adam's Tire & Rubber Cleaner works really well for me.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:52 PM   #8
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
This is written for the guys that have tarminator on the shelf and use it on the front End. I've had the same Can of tarminator for the last three years, you don't do this more than once a year…And I'm sure whatever bug and tar remover anyone has , will work.
Tarminator is great stuff. I use 2 cans/month. Mostly for tar on wheels, of course.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:12 PM   #9
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Post pics of how that coating is holding up every couple months please! I can’t imagine a tire coating that would last through that many miles/washes etc. Interested.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:36 PM   #10
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
I can vouch for Tuff Shine. The stuff really got rid of the brown. Might give Tarminator a try at some point.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:55 PM   #11
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Wesley's BLECHE WITE used to be the best but now since it was sold to black magic its not as strong but its pretty cheap...)
Tuff shine is still the best cleaner bar none.
-bobby
Old 06-06-2018, 01:45 AM   #12
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
Post pics of how that coating is holding up every couple months please! I can’t imagine a tire coating that would last through that many miles/washes etc. Interested.
Nope, not gonna waste my time. You'll have to take my word or use whatever you like. This is not new to me, I've been using the TAC stuff for about 2 years and indeed it does last 3-4 months.

I posted it here on 5/9/16:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...ighlight=Lasts
Old 06-06-2018, 07:55 AM   #13
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Thanks for the tip...I can't stand when they brownm usually for me after a heavy rain for days or driving in it, even with a tire coating. Will have to try this.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 02:11 PM   #14
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Nope, not gonna waste my time. You'll have to take my word or use whatever you like. This is not new to me, I've been using the TAC stuff for about 2 years and indeed it does last 3-4 months.

I posted it here on 5/9/16:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...ighlight=Lasts
Boom! That’s all that was needed. I didn’t realize this was the same product. Must have read too fast and overlooked that. The pic at 3-4 months was impressive. Did that include spraying the wheels/tires down every so often for a more thorough cleaning? I see you just said rinseless washes which I usually associate with a quick exterior paint wipe down.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote