Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 04-06-2016, 02:30 PM   #15
TSloper

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
What about the LS3 then ?

Its unacceptable some of the problems the LS7 had.

Its also unacceptable that my LT1 engine might need carbon cleaning at 30-40k. when you buy a new car, your car should last a reasonable amount of miles with a reasonable amount of care. I paid for 460HP, 465TQ period.

Some of the new tech is great, some of it has caused other problems.

Why would i buy a chevy product if i have such a big problem with this? because It was either I buy a corvette or it was a foreign car which all have GDI engines.
Where is a single shred of proof the LT1 will deliver less than its factory rated power at 30K-40K miles? There isn't.
TSloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:38 PM   #16
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSloper View Post
Where is a single shred of proof the LT1 will deliver less than its factory rated power at 30K-40K miles? There isn't.
Keep a eye on this corvette thread with the LT1 engine.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...-for-test.html
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:49 PM   #17
TSloper

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Keep a eye on this corvette thread with the LT1 engine.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...-for-test.html
The data will be interesting but there are a lot of variables at play the way the test is being done that could lead to incorrect interpretations.
TSloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:56 PM   #18
mikeSS

Quote:
The data will be interesting but there are a lot of variables at play the way the test is being done that could lead to incorrect interpretations.
i agree.

There are a lot of people who are very certain the LT1 will lose power. We will find out in time what really is going on.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:00 PM   #19
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Give me a 4L60E with crude torque management techniques so I can rebuild it every year and know it's going to hold up. These A8s just keep on going... who can trust that???
How dare you! The 4L60E was awesome! Had 3 of them! True they were all in the same truck but they were great. And the 2 I had in the truck after that were bullet proof too.
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:02 PM   #20
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
The LT1 is a great engine.

Last night I saw a LT1 Stingray running 10.0s @ 142 on a stock block with just a centrifugal, DRs, injectors, a tune, and LTs on pump gas. Why would we want to swap this engine out?
Old 04-06-2016, 03:40 PM   #21
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
What about the LS3 then ?

Its unacceptable some of the problems the LS7 had.

Its also unacceptable that my LT1 engine might need carbon cleaning at 30-40k. when you buy a new car, your car should last a reasonable amount of miles with a reasonable amount of care. I paid for 460HP, 465TQ period.

Some of the new tech is great, some of it has caused other problems.

Why would i buy a chevy product if i have such a big problem with this? because It was either I buy a corvette or it was a foreign car which all have GDI engines.
Always run top tier premium fuel (this is very important, many brands that you may think are top tier are not), don't skimp on oil changes (use full synthetic), and add a catch can and you will be just fine. I have had three DI engines, and have done the above and have never had an issue...the "downsides" of DI are WAY overblown, and most people don't even know how it works and just believe what they read on the internet, not first hand experience.

Also, remember the LT1 in the Camaro has a factory "catch can" that the Corvette doesn't have (at least not yet), and I was reading about some new kind of injectors coming for '17.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:41 PM   #22
mikeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
The LT1 is a great engine.

Last night I saw a LT1 Stingray running 10.0s @ 142 on a stock block with just a centrifugal, DRs, injectors, a tune, and LTs on pump gas. Why would we want to swap this engine out?
You can always swap out the AFM lifters, and even delete the VVT when doing a cam swap.

But the main reason to get rid of the LT1 is direct injection. Direct injection is the worse thing to come out of the industry in the past 10 years. cars are needing manual cleaning at 40k miles.

Even when you put a catch can system on, carbon will happen over time. just not as fast.

the LS motors are built to last, and pull 10s.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:49 PM   #23
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Tsloper we agree on something, this is a turning point in our relationship. Ha
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:19 PM   #24
mikeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
Always run top tier premium fuel (this is very important, many brands that you may think are top tier are not), don't skimp on oil changes (use full synthetic), and add a catch can and you will be just fine. I have had three DI engines, and have done the above and have never had an issue...the "downsides" of DI are WAY overblown, and most people don't even know how it works and just believe what they read on the internet, not first hand experience.

Also, remember the LT1 in the Camaro has a factory "catch can" that the Corvette doesn't have (at least not yet), and I was reading about some new kind of injectors coming for '17.
The catch can on the LT1 camaro has nothing to do with the PCV. the PCV is where the oil is coming from, not the clean side.

Same reason why you see people installing catch cans on camaros.

Amazes me how many people think the factory system on the camaro is a catch can.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:28 PM   #25
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
Well, everyone has their own experience and preference. My mighty LS3 in the 2010 may have been mod friendly but was not durable. After only 17000 miles the aftermarket comp cam and the lifters decided to eat each other. I learned what "pay to play" meant and it hurt. In fact after the top end was rebuilt I just couldn't enjoy the car anymore - I was always worrying about the next noise or vibration. So I sold it and went 2 years without a fun car in the garage until a Hyper Blue beauty came into my life.

I'm loving the hell out of my new LT1 including the direct injection. Even with less HP than my old modded LS3 this LT1 is impressive and just as quick. Engineers much smarter than me have spent thousands of hours sorting out the drivetrain on the Gen 6 to make it superior to the Gen 5 in every way. I'm leaving it alone.
Amen, I'm right with you. Your cammed LS engine lasted longer than mine. It made crazy power, but it just didn't last. I'm not touching a thing on my next car (99% gonna be a 2017 1LE). I want to drive, enjoy and not think or worry about anything.
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:33 PM   #26
BigNorm4Life

Drives: 2013 Ford Fusion SE
Interesting comments... I think out of the 3, VVT is nice to have. I'm also am a fan of direct injection.. Given the headache

Was not aware of the head issues of the LS7.... I thought it had a Titanium valvetrain.. Can someone shed some light???
BigNorm4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:37 PM   #27
mikeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
Amen, I'm right with you. Your cammed LS engine lasted longer than mine. It made crazy power, but it just didn't last. I'm not touching a thing on my next car (99% gonna be a 2017 1LE). I want to drive, enjoy and not think or worry about anything.
Same reason why i sold my cammed LS3 camaro.

Funny how people went through the same thing.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:42 PM   #28
mikeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNorm4Life View Post
Interesting comments... I think out of the 3, VVT is nice to have. I'm also am a fan of direct injection.. Given the headache

Was not aware of the head issues of the LS7.... I thought it had a Titanium valvetrain.. Can someone shed some light???
apparently the LS7 had valves dropping, causing engine failures.

GM made a statement about it, and fixed it in 2011 i believe.

I would have no problem buying a LS7 crate motor today, but if you are still worried buy a LS3 instead. The LS3 is rock solid.