Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 11-23-2020, 09:10 AM   #29
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Glad you were okay gotroost and are replacing that awesome ZLE with a new one. Back in 2014 I hit a deer with my 2005 Silverado truck and the whole right front had to be replaced for about $5500.00 in damages when done. I tried to avoid hitting it but caught it with the right front because the brakes locked up and the truck still ended up in the median of a 4 lane major highway. All this happened on Thanksgiving night about 11:00 pm 60 miles from home. I guess if I had hit it head on he might have come thru the windshield and I possibly could have been hurt or killed and the truck would have been a total.

Last edited by LT4Greg; 11-23-2020 at 09:30 AM.
LT4Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:26 AM   #30
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
While it didn't end well for the car, you came out ok - that's the important part.

I've had my share of run-in's with wildlife including rounding a bend on the motorcycle and seeing a deer just about completely blocking the path of a country road. Got on the brakes hard to get it stopped and couldn't do anything but wait until it moved on its way.

Had another time on a twisty road in VT thirty years ago when a couple of raccoons ran out into the road. I was mid-corner and hit the brakes a little too hard. Car spun 540 degrees between the guardrails before it was over. It's a main road, so I was quite lucky there was no other traffic.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:46 PM   #31
beworthy3

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Glad you ok dude, cant wait to see the new ride in the spring
beworthy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 03:39 PM   #32
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Would a cheaper route be to go with a 1 or 2SS, maybe even a used one and then simply slapping on a supercharger and some other mods and save big $$$ and have a car about as fast as a ZL1 but at a lot lower cost?
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 03:49 PM   #33
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
As an animal lover I hate it when deer or other animals get hit.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:32 PM   #34
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Lesson learned, never leave the road to miss an animal. Better to kill the animal and have front end damage then kill yourself. Glad you got through that one in one piece and the car can be replaced.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:11 PM   #35
Crim

Drives: 13 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
Would a cheaper route be to go with a 1 or 2SS, maybe even a used one and then simply slapping on a supercharger and some other mods and save big $$$ and have a car about as fast as a ZL1 but at a lot lower cost?
I love these comments...

He had a ZLE... a lot more than just fast.

LT1 would be cheap or maybe an I4 turbo.
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:32 PM   #36
Pupilbone

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 M6
I’m from Alberta originally. Cattle guards are as common as cross walks there once you get out of the big cities. Glad you were ok!

Growing up in the mountains I got used to dodging everything from deer to moose to grizzlies. If you’re about to hit a moose or grizzly trust me, swerve. Take out the legs on a moose you get 900lbs of animal crushing your windshield and roof at speed (oh yeah there’s also the antlers).

Grizzlies are a little different. Females (more often on highways with their young) can weigh up to 800lbs. Dead weight. When hit head on they roll up the hood and again take out the driver. Males can be 1500lbs. Camaro’s just can’t provide that kind of protection.

Again, glad you’re ok. These types of situations kill many. Great colour
choice on the replacement too!
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2020, 06:13 AM   #37
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupilbone View Post
I’m from Alberta originally. Cattle guards are as common as cross walks there once you get out of the big cities. Glad you were ok!

Growing up in the mountains I got used to dodging everything from deer to moose to grizzlies. If you’re about to hit a moose or grizzly trust me, swerve. Take out the legs on a moose you get 900lbs of animal crushing your windshield and roof at speed (oh yeah there’s also the antlers).

Grizzlies are a little different. Females (more often on highways with their young) can weigh up to 800lbs. Dead weight. When hit head on they roll up the hood and again take out the driver. Males can be 1500lbs. Camaro’s just can’t provide that kind of protection.

Again, glad you’re ok. These types of situations kill many. Great colour
choice on the replacement too!
At least the bears in FL are smaller. Looks like it hit a brick house.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:15 AM   #38
Blade21

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS
Glad your ok, sorry about the car.
'16 Camaro 2SS| GT-30 Cam| Kooks 1 7/8 Headers| Borla X-Pipe Mid| Mishimoto Thermostat| Mishimoto Overflow tank| Mishimoto Oil Catch Can| Diode Side Markers| ZL1 Addons Lift Pads| GM Aluminum Pedals| ROTOFAB Intake - Sound Delete| SEMA grille
Blade21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:23 AM   #39
gotroost

Drives: 2021 Crush ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
Where was it? The scenery kinda looks like Sonoita/Patagonia...

Sorry for the loss.
Good eye! Highway 83 heading NW on the way to Sonoita.

Also appreciate the comments about not swerving for deer. Learned that a long time ago on dirt bikes. Don't change course for fast movers, but stop or avoid slow movers like cows. In this case, it was pure reaction since the deer was up close and personal. I only missed it by a few feet and it was at eye level.

gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:26 PM   #40
Hyperblue ss

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1ss
Glad to hear you made it out safely. Cant wait to see the replacement
Hyperblue ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:50 PM   #41
Eel125

Drives: 2019 1SS 1LE shadow grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
Dang, glad you are ok. Makes me wonder if you would of been better off just hitting the deer.
I know its easier said then done , but i tell my kids if a deer runs out and you are going over 50 mph dont jam on the brakes (car will dip lower and deer will possibly go thru windshield ‘) and dont swerve because you would rather hit the deer instead of a tree or telephone pole
Eel125 is offline   Reply With Quote