Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-10-2019, 04:30 PM   #1
nystyle246

Drives: camaro 1SS
I think we all want to save $$$

I work my ass off... Im all about saving money and moding my car.Can ayone tell me the difference???

https://www.mishimoto.com/chevrolet-...016-12254.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-2...torefresh=true
Attached Images

nystyle246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 04:37 PM   #2
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
The Mishimoto doesn't appear to have "excellent function"?
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:03 PM   #3
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Question about these oil catch cans. If they are better for the engine why doesn’t Chevy install them at the factory? Most will probably say “cost”. But if they prolong engine life wouldn’t Chevy WANT to install them to save cost in warranty repairs?
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:13 PM   #4
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i think it depends upon how hard you are driving and the amount of blowby you are getting.if youre going through a quart of oil between changes you ought to have one.if you go 5,000 miles without needing oil the benefits would be less.less consumption= less valve coking.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:07 PM   #5
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
There's no rocket science to an oil separator/catch can.
Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:39 PM   #6
19SW1LE

Drives: 2018 LT 1LE
Mishimoto is designed for use in a 6th gen camaro and uses oem fittings, and pre bent hoses to route cleanly in the engine bay. It was also tested and backed by warranty. The ebay one looks universal and you'll have figure out mounting and routing. If you're handy and want to take a chance with the ebay one, thats your choice.
19SW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:10 PM   #7
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
The Mishimoto doesn't appear to have "excellent function"?
I concur. LOL
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:29 PM   #8
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
or those fugly fkn huge hose clamps.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:09 PM   #9
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Don't the LT1 have oil traps in the pcv lines? Those little black boxes?

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:38 AM   #10
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
or those fugly fkn huge hose clamps.
You can buy a pinch clamp and it would look sano.
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:55 AM   #11
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
The factory connectors are reusable, the heck with ugly hose clamps. Mounting is as easy as finding an available bolt. Really simple to make it look stock.
Attached Images

Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:05 AM   #12
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by caSStro18 View Post
Question about these oil catch cans. If they are better for the engine why doesn’t Chevy install them at the factory? Most will probably say “cost”. But if they prolong engine life wouldn’t Chevy WANT to install them to save cost in warranty repairs?
I am pretty good friends with the current chief engineer for Chevy Small Block engines. When I took delivery of my car in January 2017 and was talking to him about possible mods, I specifically asked him about catch cans. Paraphrasing a little, his response was "if you really want to just give your money away you can just give it to me."

I also asked him about E85 and he confirmed what I pretty much already knew. The engine has all the appropriate hardened parts to run E85, but some of the vehicle assembly plant added parts like the fuel lines and fuel pump would need to be changed out. He also suggested better flowing injectors. And he confirmed that those changes would void my warranty. So I haven't invested in a catch can and have no plans to ever do so. And I haven't converted to E85 yet. Yet.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:37 AM   #13
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I am pretty good friends with the current chief engineer for Chevy Small Block engines. When I took delivery of my car in January 2017 and was talking to him about possible mods, I specifically asked him about catch cans. Paraphrasing a little, his response was "if you really want to just give your money away you can just give it to me."

I also asked him about E85 and he confirmed what I pretty much already knew. The engine has all the appropriate hardened parts to run E85, but some of the vehicle assembly plant added parts like the fuel lines and fuel pump would need to be changed out. He also suggested better flowing injectors. And he confirmed that those changes would void my warranty. So I haven't invested in a catch can and have no plans to ever do so. And I haven't converted to E85 yet. Yet.

Any idea why the car isn't flex-fuel from the factory?

That's one thing that seems odd to me, E85, high compression and DI work well together. I'd rather run E85 and have a bit more power.

Agreed on the catch-can.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:48 AM   #14
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Any idea why the car isn't flex-fuel from the factory?

That's one thing that seems odd to me, E85, high compression and DI work well together. I'd rather run E85 and have a bit more power.

Agreed on the catch-can.
GM's push for E85 was always focused on getting fuel economy credits for having a high number of E85 vehicles in the fleet, so the focus was on high volume applications. The reason small blocks are E85 capable at all was to get high volumes of pickups and utilities in the "E85 fleet" to max out the credits. To reduce build complexity in the engine plants that build small blocks (which valves and seats are hardened? which ones are not?) the simple solution was to harden everything and keep it moving. That's the powertrain side of things.

On the vehicle side, the decision to make this nameplate or that nameplate E85 capable was a combination of maxxing out E85 credits plus cost reduction in the form of material content. If a car was not high enough volume to contribute to E85 credits, no need spending the money to make it capable. Camaro and Corvette are blips on the vehicle volume meter. Add to that the fact that E85 delivers lower fuel economy. I think GM would have to show both E10 and E85 FE numbers on the Monroney. Not sure if that would impact gas guzzler or not.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote