Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-15-2018, 09:10 AM   #1
MikeG183

Drives: 2017 1LS 1LE
GM Lowering Kit Question

I have a 2017 V6 1LE, which I understand has the FE3 suspension components. I'm considering getting the GM lowering kit, but am concerned that the parts are more or less the same to what I have with the FE3 setup.

The lowering kit advertises stiffer spring rates (and struts to match). I believe the FE3 already comes with the stiffer springs and matching struts. Is there any difference between the two besides ride height? I don't want to put something on that will actually be a slight downgrade as far as handling.
MikeG183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:24 AM   #2
302Blue

Drives: 2017 Camaro V6 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG183 View Post
I have a 2017 V6 1LE, which I understand has the FE3 suspension components. I'm considering getting the GM lowering kit, but am concerned that the parts are more or less the same to what I have with the FE3 setup.

The lowering kit advertises stiffer spring rates (and struts to match). I believe the FE3 already comes with the stiffer springs and matching struts. Is there any difference between the two besides ride height? I don't want to put something on that will actually be a slight downgrade as far as handling.
Not sure if this is exactly correct, but when I read through the V6 1LE manual I vaguely remember there was a part about how the 1LE suspension's aren't designed to be lowered anymore if they're being tracked. Otherwise you may run the risk of bottoming out/sudden handling changes/instability at speed/etc. On the other hand, if you have no intention of tracking the car then I imagine the benefit of just lowering the car is worth it because, as you said, the two suspension's are probably just as stiff on the road.

Though if you just want it lowered and don't need the stiffer suspension, there may be cheaper aftermarket methods. I just don't exactly recommend running springs & shocks not designed for each other. My friend just had his passenger rear shock start leaking because he was running the stock struts and aftermarket lowering springs for 8,000 miles.
302Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:59 AM   #3
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
IIRC, a year or so back there was an auto-x group that collaborated with GMPP to use the "lowering kit" on an SS and it ended up improving their course times.

My last track day there was a gentleman that had a 2016 non-MRC SS, and he said when he installed the lowering kit it incrementally improved the transitional response of the car without upsetting the bringing-the-wife-to-dinner factor.

I'd say the Lowering kit is exactly what you're looking for; improve the handling a smidgen and bring the ride height to roughly FEA level without ruining the ride quality. Just be sure to get the correct part number; the springs will be different to get the right ride height by accounting for the different vehicle weights [LT vs SS]. Looks like the LT Coupe P/N is 84188725.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:24 AM   #4
MikeG183

Thanks for the input. I was kind of thinking what Ryephile discussed. But the parts department at my local dealer said that the lowering kit would be a downgrade based on the actual parts involved. That didn't seem right to me. It also makes me hesitant to have them install it.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:29 AM   #5
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG183 View Post
Thanks for the input. I was kind of thinking what Ryephile discussed. But the parts department at my local dealer said that the lowering kit would be a downgrade based on the actual parts involved. That didn't seem right to me. It also makes me hesitant to have them install it.
What your dealer said makes no sense. Chances are they are confused, thinking your car has FE4 on it, not FE3.

In terms of track performance:
FE3 << Lowering Kit << FE4 << FEA

I'd say as a first step, do the Lowering Kit along with the Performance Supplement Track Alignment. That combo will be brilliant for fast street and light track use.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:45 AM   #6
MikeG183

I figured as much. So here's the other curve ball:

I was just checking your suspension mega thread for comparative part numbers. Do you know if the sway bar kit in the V6 1LE is the same as the upgraded sway bar kit for use with the V6 lowering kit? I just read that the lowering kit was tested and engineered with the sway bar kit so they work best together. But I would prefer not having to spend the extra money on the sway bar kit if that's not necessary with the V6 1LE package.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:16 PM   #7
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Your V6 1LE is the FE3 suspension, with the springs specific for the V6 engine weight. That means all the bushings, links, and anti-roll bars are the same as the normal SS FE3 suspension.

Are you referring to the GMPP sway bar kit #84242386? I can't verify what those bars are, but they're *probably* FE4 bars, given they're marketed for the SS coupe (FE3). The GMPP catalog talks about the additional benefit the sway bar kit has when combined with the lowering kit, but it's not accurate to draw a conclusion that they "work best together". The verbiage just says "when also paired with". You can do one, or both.

I would just buy the parts separately if you want FE4 anti-roll bars and front handling links, it'll be at least $100 cheaper than the kit. It really depends on how hardcore you're trying to go with the car, and what tires you'll be running. Swapping in all the FE4 links would certainly improve the dynamic alignment, but you'll also add a bit of NVH with the addition of the spherical bearings and solid rubber bushings, and you'll want to run wider/stickier tires to take advantage of the greater dynamic wheel rate. So let's start with that; what tires are you planning on using?
Old 06-15-2018, 12:52 PM   #8
MikeG183

Thanks for all the help. Very useful info and appreciate you taking the time to respond.
I am running Michelin PS4S 245/40R20 front and 275/35/R20 rear. Sounds like they may not be wide enough to make enough difference to justify the sway bar kit.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:24 PM   #9
Ryephile
Hot Dog

No problem!

Agreed, with those tires and sizes, start with the Lowering Kit and the "Track" alignment. I think you'll like the improvement. If it's not hardcore enough, then you can choose to move on from there.

What I like about the GMPP Lowering Kit, at least conceptually, is they match the dampers and springs and center the stroke around the new ride height. It's the right way to do it. FWIW, it looks like forum sponsor Wildhammer has the kit at a very good price: https://wildhammermotorsports.com/ca...t-performance/