Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-14-2018, 04:31 PM   #15
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Thanks for testing it at RA. I won't be going to a high speed track until I go back to COTA on July 13. Thanks for posting on FB, maybe we'll get more testers.
carguy55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:07 AM   #16
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
posted the PDR data from the fastest session. Unfortunately I have no clue if it would've run hotter with the guards on because I forgot to bring them with me. Worth noting it was 95 degrees ambient!

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531973

Old 06-20-2018, 07:30 PM   #17
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
I looked back at the data from my last track event (and first with the 1LE) at Grattan (90F+ and sunny all day, zero clouds; set a max temp record for the area of 93F...): The second half of the day I took off the coil covers [that say "CAMARO"]. Since it was so hot out and oil temps would get to 266F at some points (260F was where it was most of the duration of a lap; Mobil 1 0W-40), I wanted to see if I could cool the engine down a bit. I didn't bring much of anything as far as tools, so I couldn't remove the intake cover and insulator and I didn't want to mess with the hood extractors. So, I just removed the coil covers as a"because why not" as they simply pop off.

I didn't notice anything, glancing at the gauges while on track. However, looking at my data, it seems like it made a consistent 2-degree F improvement in coolant temp. In my laps with the coil covers, the coolant temp consistently made a spike to 219F; on my laps without the coil covers, the coolant temp never went above 217F.

It's small, but, due to the consistency, seems to be something. To add to it, as far as ambient temperature, the runs I ran without the coil covers, it was likely a few degrees warmer outside, as they were after 12pm. The runs with coil covers were before 12pm. I don't see ambient temp or IAT data listed in Cosworth Toolbox.

There are two things I want to do at my next track day:
-Check the oil and coolant temp effect of removing the engine cover pieces.
-Check the cooling effect between the factory 1LE brake cooling deflectors and the SS track deflectors (I'll have to sacrifice a few sessions to come in early and measure the brake temps ASAP).

Last edited by Mountain; 06-20-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:20 PM   #18
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
posted the PDR data from the fastest session. Unfortunately I have no clue if it would've run hotter with the guards on because I forgot to bring them with me. Worth noting it was 95 degrees ambient!

FWIW your max temps, Trans, Oil and Coolant are the same as mine at Sebring end of April (~85F out) with the guards on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
-Check the cooling effect between the factory 1LE brake cooling deflectors and the SS track deflectors (I'll have to sacrifice a few sessions to come in early and measure the brake temps ASAP).
I am working on getting Hard data, recording rotor temps live. no ETA though. Though looking at the shields looks like it would help.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:25 AM   #19
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thescreensavers View Post
FWIW your max temps, Trans, Oil and Coolant are the same as mine at Sebring end of April (~85F out) with the guards on

I am working on getting Hard data, recording rotor temps live. no ETA though. Though looking at the shields looks like it would help.
Running data would be the most useful
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:42 AM   #20
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
I looked back at the data from my last track event (and first with the 1LE) at Grattan (90F+ and sunny all day, zero clouds; set a max temp record for the area of 93F...): The second half of the day I took off the coil covers [that say "CAMARO"]. Since it was so hot out and oil temps would get to 266F at some points (260F was where it was most of the duration of a lap; Mobil 1 0W-40), I wanted to see if I could cool the engine down a bit. I didn't bring much of anything as far as tools, so I couldn't remove the intake cover and insulator and I didn't want to mess with the hood extractors. So, I just removed the coil covers as a"because why not" as they simply pop off.

I didn't notice anything, glancing at the gauges while on track. However, looking at my data, it seems like it made a consistent 2-degree F improvement in coolant temp. In my laps with the coil covers, the coolant temp consistently made a spike to 219F; on my laps without the coil covers, the coolant temp never went above 217F.
Interesting, I was just at Gingerman yesterday, about 70 F ambient and cloudy, all covers on, and my max oil temp was still 266 consistently and max coolant was 217. Same as my day at Mid-O when it was sunny and 80s. Even my data from last year at Gingerman and Grattan in both the cloudy and 70s and sunny and 80s/90s, all those days were within +/- 2° of those max temps.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:59 AM   #21
AD17SS1LE

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
The stock oil cooler doesn't work so well in my opinion. The GM engineers say it is normal to have 260-280 oil temp when tracking. This is absurd to me. I put the mishimoto oil cooler on and ran 95 degrees 90% humidity 6 sessions and my oil temp never go over 239. BTW if you do install it when you have the front clip off you will see a plastic cover in front of the the air filter intake, I removed mine.
AD17SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:43 PM   #22
carguy55

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD17SS1LE View Post
The stock oil cooler doesn't work so well in my opinion. The GM engineers say it is normal to have 260-280 oil temp when tracking. This is absurd to me. I put the mishimoto oil cooler on and ran 95 degrees 90% humidity 6 sessions and my oil temp never go over 239. BTW if you do install it when you have the front clip off you will see a plastic cover in front of the the air filter intake, I removed mine.
I was looking at that oil cooler, do you have details or pics of the install?
Old 06-23-2018, 07:01 AM   #23
AD17SS1LE

I was looking at that oil cooler, do you have details or pics of the install?

Here are a few pics from the install. It is a pita to get the front clip off. I did this with a lift, it can be done on jack stands but it is better to use a lift in my opinion. I think the mishimoto oil cooler kit is high quality and fits and works well. I have the plastic piece that covers the fresh air duct from the air cleaner box circled, I did remove mine. If you do order the kit make sure you ask for 200 degree thermostat.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:03 AM   #24
AD17SS1LE

doh, helps if I upload the files.
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2018, 09:16 AM   #25
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Here are a few pics from the install. It is a pita to get the front clip off. I did this with a lift, it can be done on jack stands but it is better to use a lift in my opinion. I think the mishimoto oil cooler kit is high quality and fits and works well. I have the plastic piece that covers the fresh air duct from the air cleaner box circled, I did remove mine. If you do order the kit make sure you ask for 200 degree thermostat.
I take it you noticed some IAT drops from this? it took me a sec to see the circled part was like a ghost circle

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:20 AM   #26
carguy55

Looks like a worthwhile mod to make to reduce the oil temps. While I have the front off I'd like to put on the flowtie grill and sell my glowtie.

I also like the idea to remove the plastic piece that covers the air duct inlet.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:46 PM   #27
AD17SS1LE

I take it you noticed some IAT drops from this? it took me a sec to see the circled p

lol sorry for the pencil edit, the pen and calligraphy pen made the circle so thick it looked like a 4 year old drew it. I don't have any AIT monitoring but I can tell you my butt dyno felt the difference. The cover is probably there to keep water/rain from hitting the air filter. I did do a track day in the rain and had no issues. This is not my DD so it doesn't see much rain at all. To me it makes sense to have clean unobstructed air from the front grill to the air filter.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:22 PM   #28
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
lol sorry for the pencil edit, the pen and calligraphy pen made the circle so thick it looked like a 4 year old drew it. I don't have any AIT monitoring but I can tell you my butt dyno felt the difference. The cover is probably there to keep water/rain from hitting the air filter. I did do a track day in the rain and had no issues. This is not my DD so it doesn't see much rain at all. To me it makes sense to have clean unobstructed air from the front grill to the air filter.

nothing wrong with that. willing to try it. almost every stock intake usually has some sort of "bong" looking extension to quiet it down or protect from water, etc... its usually a restriction to some sort of degree.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote