Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-16-2018, 10:02 AM   #29
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
First impressions

So I installed the GM performance exhaust today. I'm extremely pleased. I wasn't looking for something even remotely loud as I work the night shift and have no desire to piss off my neighbors. That being said the factory system was as quiet as a prius and the only time I heard anything at all is when driving by concrete barriers at high RPMs with the windows down and even then you had to listen closely. I think someone described the GM PE as about 20% louder and I'd have to say that's a fair assessment along with the resonation is clearly better. Even at high RPMs you're not going to hear this thing a mile away, but next to it it sounds at least as respectable as a high output V6 should. I don't think this thing is ever going to have that deep throaty sound you get with a larger bore engine, but neither does it sound anything like a riceburner with a coffee can muffler.

As someone else said, this is just a relabeled Borla axle back. I'm not sure if it's the ATAK or the S-Type. My guess is the latter. I only paid about $50 more to get the GM labeled product so I went for it. If there was much more difference in price I would have gone with the Borla.

My Camaro is black, so my only regret is I didn't have my installer put black tips on it as I'm going to eventually work on blacking out this car, but I can always do that later.
dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:26 AM   #30
JakeF_RS

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwcowboy View Post
So I installed the GM performance exhaust today. I'm extremely pleased. I wasn't looking for something even remotely loud as I work the night shift and have no desire to piss off my neighbors. That being said the factory system was as quiet as a prius and the only time I heard anything at all is when driving by concrete barriers at high RPMs with the windows down and even then you had to listen closely. I think someone described the GM PE as about 20% louder and I'd have to say that's a fair assessment along with the resonation is clearly better. Even at high RPMs you're not going to hear this thing a mile away, but next to it it sounds at least as respectable as a high output V6 should. I don't think this thing is ever going to have that deep throaty sound you get with a larger bore engine, but neither does it sound anything like a riceburner with a coffee can muffler.

As someone else said, this is just a relabeled Borla axle back. I'm not sure if it's the ATAK or the S-Type. My guess is the latter. I only paid about $50 more to get the GM labeled product so I went for it. If there was much more difference in price I would have gone with the Borla.

My Camaro is black, so my only regret is I didn't have my installer put black tips on it as I'm going to eventually work on blacking out this car, but I can always do that later.
Did you get the axle back for cars with ground effects or without?
JakeF_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:38 PM   #31
dfwcowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF_RS View Post
Did you get the axle back for cars with ground effects or without?

Without. For some reason with is a little cheaper. I'm not sure why or what the differences are. I'm assuming the angle is a bit different.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:55 PM   #32
JakeF_RS

Quote:
Without. For some reason with is a little cheaper. I'm not sure why or what the differences are. I'm assuming the angle is a bit different.
Gotcha. It’s hard to tell a difference by just looking st the pictures. Mind sharing where you got it from? The lowest I’ve seen it is high 800s. I’ve seen the S Type axleback for low 700s (which it seems like the gm axleback is based off of).
Old 06-16-2018, 03:27 PM   #33
dfwcowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF_RS View Post
Gotcha. It’s hard to tell a difference by just looking st the pictures. Mind sharing where you got it from? The lowest I’ve seen it is high 800s. I’ve seen the S Type axleback for low 700s (which it seems like the gm axleback is based off of).

I didn't look that hard for the Borla S-Type, but the prices I was seeing was in the low $800s by the time shipping was added. I see now I could have gotten it on Amazon for $715.

I got mine from ShopChevyParts. With the new customer 5% coupon code (NEW2018) it came to $889.39 with shipping. So in retrospect I probably should have gotten the one from Amazon, but the bow tie on the tip has to be worth something.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:48 PM   #34
JakeF_RS

Quote:
I didn't look that hard for the Borla S-Type, but the prices I was seeing was in the low $800s by the time shipping was added. I see now I could have gotten it on Amazon for $715.

I got mine from ShopChevyParts. With the new customer 5% coupon code (NEW2018) it came to $889.39 with shipping. So in retrospect I probably should have gotten the one from Amazon, but the bow tie on the tip has to be worth something.
It is nice to have the GM part. I know a lot of us are worried about voiding the warranty, so having the GM axleback is good for that too. I haven’t heard the GMPP and the Type S side my side to say if they’re EXACTLY the same, but so haven’t heard of anyone being disappointed by the GMPP one.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:31 PM   #35
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Borla said in a previous post about the V8's that they were not the same. Pretty sure it would be the same for the V6 too.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote