Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-12-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Suggestions on choosing which Drop Spring to go with

Ugghhh….I need some suggestions on which springs to get.

First off I’ll say what my goals are. A #1 is to get a nice looking stance on the car. Second would be to increase handling. However, this is my daily driver and will only be going to the Dragstrip every once in a while and rarely if ever be going to a Time Trial road course event. So, I don’t see corners to often.

I like Pedders, Pfadt, and Hotchkis but all of these kits with the swaybars are anywhere from $700 - $900. Then I’ll need a $100-$150 alignment so we are talking close to $1,000. When I look at that I think about the fact that just a little more and I can get a nice set of headers. I don’t think my Camaro is handling that bad for what I do in order to justify that kind of money right now.

So now I thinking that the initial thing I’ll do is just put on drop springs to get the look I want. That way I’m only looking to spend about $450 after an alignment.

I used Eibach years ago on my Supra and a Cobra I had. Neither of which had any issues. However, I’ve been using Hotchkis exclusively on my First Gen Camaros with great success as well.

So now I’m torn…..I can go with the Eibach Pro Kit that has both springs/sways for $450+$150 alignment (~$600). The issue I have with that is they are so cheap I’m worried that won’t last as long or I’ll be giving up ride quality.

Then there is Hotchkis, Pedders, and Pfadt. All seem to be great Mfgs and of course all say their product is better than the next. So far from what I’ve seen they are ranging in $300-$360 range + alignment for about $450-$600 total (the same price as the Eibach Pro Kit).

I know Pedders and Eibach are 1” drop. Pfadt is a 1.25” drop. Not sure what Hotchkis is yet….still researching them.

Can anyone give me their takes on why they went with one brand over the other? What is the ride experience like? For the money and the fact that I won’t really be racing the car much should I just do the Eibach kit?

Help….I need suggestions……

Also any suggestions on the best place to purchase any of them would be appreciated as well.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
riverrattcom

Drives: 2010 2SS RS SIM
I would go Eibach from Summit Racing and Get the Headers.

Took my Car to my dealer had them to line the front end, and the only charged me 70.00

riverrattcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
We run H&R
The drop is 1.4F and 1.3R and it is a tad more stiff than the Eibach and we love it. Have had it over 12k miles on a DD and no issues.
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indpowr View Post
We run H&R
The drop is 1.4F and 1.3R and it is a tad more stiff than the Eibach and we love it. Have had it over 12k miles on a DD and no issues.
How much are a set of H&R springs going for? I'm a little concerned that most of the major brands are doing 1"-1.25" and saying that much over 1" is going to compromise ride quality.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
Bruce@raymondsperformance

Drives: 2014 Z28 camaro
I like the Pedders springs, they are high quallity and are tested at the factory to be within 2mm of each other when loaded.They give 1"-1.25" drop and still ride nice. here is a link to the process they use to make their springs.http://www.peddersusa.com/products/10
Bruce@raymondsperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
How much are a set of H&R springs going for? I'm a little concerned that most of the major brands are doing 1"-1.25" and saying that much over 1" is going to compromise ride quality.
I think the range from 250-300 if memory serves me right. Might be off.

The drop looks perfect IMO.

Compromise ride quality? Well, I did not buy a Cadillac so, I wanted it more like a Muscle car...LOL
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:35 PM   #7
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
I will be getting the Pedders springs installed VERY soon, If you want to hold out I can give you a review

TRADED: 2016 2SS M6
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:50 PM   #8
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Pedders does a great job with their coils. Ride quality is still great. Sporteir ride is also there.

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:41 PM   #9
76CamaroLT

Drives: 4wheels
Quote:
The drop looks perfect IMO.

76CamaroLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:55 PM   #10
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
No complaints on the Eibach here. Awesome kit. I'm not sure about lasting as long as other kits, but I plan on upgrading to coilovers eventually anyway. This was an intermediate step for me until I get the cash to call up Pedders.

One thing is Eibach does have a million mile warranty, so I would assume that's gonna last you pretty well. I don't know how they are on claims though.
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:04 PM   #11
Info@PeddersUSA.com

I have made arrangements for a couple of local Camaro guys to me, to do installs in my driveway. Why? One of the many tasks that I have is to write manuals, for dealers as well as for other shops and of coarse the DIY guys and gals. I have done a ton of our Pedders bits on Camaros but all of them are in a totally functioning shop with all the of best tools and such. But does doing a manual on drop springs, using a professtional shop, help 100% the DIY guy on a sunny weekend do it in his driveway? In many times it does not. I did this for the G8 quite a bit and it helped tons of owners.

So very soon, I will have DIY specific instructions on:
a) Pedders drop coils front and rear
b) Pedders rear subframe inserts
c. Pedders front radius rod snubbers.
d) Front and rear Pedders sway bars and HS end links

I already have done our Pedders XA coil overs for the Camaro

Again, all of this will be done in my driveway using normal tools that would be available to all. Doing it in my driveway always gives a better perspective for the DIY guy and will allow me to make any specific suggestions to assist them.

I have just finished the first draft of a 50 page manual full of pictures, specs, ect for a Pedders TRACKII. This was written to DIY language with references to torque values, best practices, nut and bolt sizes, and sometimes references for doing a specific function multiple ways.

Doing these things shows our committment to this great community

thanks
mike
dms
Old 04-13-2010, 07:11 PM   #12
PonyCrusher
Back in Black

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
Just wondering why the Pedders kit doesn't give an exact drop, instead it says 1"-1.25". How do I know which height my SS will sit with it?
Old 04-13-2010, 07:18 PM   #13
Atti2dezWife
Stefanie

Drives: White 2SS RS
Quote:
We run H&R
H&R is the way to go if your not going to pay for coil overs. Ride quailty is not bad, and the stance is almost perfect. Other kits leave too much gap still. Coil overs would be perfect.
Attached Images

Atti2dezWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:42 PM   #14
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyCrusher View Post
Just wondering why the Pedders kit doesn't give an exact drop, instead it says 1"-1.25". How do I know which height my SS will sit with it?
The problem with giving you an exact number is the large height variations that come in the Camaro. At Fastlanes in Houston, measuring a ton of Camaros on a drive up rack that is about as flat as you will get, we had over 1/2 inch variations on SS's

But we do have an average but first how we measure.

We take the tire totally out of the equation for many reasons. So we measure from the lower wheel lip, thru center, to the fender opening, on a very flat ground. Here is the average of around 200 plus Camaro SS's

Pedders front coil p/n 220032 is 657mm with 20 inch wheels
Pedders rear coil p/n 220033 is 660mm with 20 inch wheels
Pedders rear coil p/n 220035 is 675mm with 20 inch wheels

Now using this same method, the average SS with 20s is:
front 680mm
rear 682mm

Hope this explains it. If not or if you have any questions, just ask

thanks
mike
dms