Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-02-2022, 08:55 AM   #1
Briland_1LE

Drives: 2020 Camaro SS 1LE
Camaro SS/1LE Heat Extractor Rain Guard Removal

Posting this incase some people are not aware. This is basically something everyone should do to their car to greatly improve cooling and it costs you nothing and takes about 5 minutes. Remove the rain guard under your hood vents!!! It does nothing except ruin the heat extraction, its not protecting your engine from anything its completely useless.

Its incredibly easy to do, just 5 nuts that you undo with a socket wrench or adjustable wrench and the shroud comes off.

I included some images to show the before and after.
Attached Images

Briland_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 08:55 PM   #2
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
This was recommended to me while I was at VIR last weekend, but haven't tried it yet.

How much cooler was your engine oil temp once you ran at the track with the rain guard removed?
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 08:25 AM   #3
Briland_1LE

Its actually recommended in the track manual for the car on trackdays. I haven't gone to a trackday yet since I removed it but I can see a lot more heat flowing out the vents in normal driving and when you see how much more open it is its obvious that there is a difference going to be made.
Old 05-03-2022, 10:22 AM   #4
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briland_1LE View Post
Its actually recommended in the track manual for the car on trackdays. I haven't gone to a trackday yet since I removed it but I can see a lot more heat flowing out the vents in normal driving and when you see how much more open it is its obvious that there is a difference going to be made.
Actually the removal is for ZL1 models only, obviously due to SC heat. SS 1le doesn’t appear to have the issue. Be interesting to see if it helps on a SS 1le.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 11:11 AM   #5
Briland_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Actually the removal is for ZL1 models only, obviously due to SC heat. SS 1le doesn’t appear to have the issue. Be interesting to see if it helps on a SS 1le.
Your right I just read that, well it increases the vent area by at least three fold so there is definitely more airflow and should reduce under hood pressure aka decrease drag while improving heat rejection. Whether that amounts to a performance increase is up for debate but considering its free and takes 5 min I think its a no brainer! I am a mechanical engineer so I tend to get nerdy about car performance lol.
Old 05-03-2022, 11:38 AM   #6
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briland_1LE View Post
Your right I just read that, well it increases the vent area by at least three fold so there is definitely more airflow and should reduce under hood pressure aka decrease drag while improving heat rejection. Whether that amounts to a performance increase is up for debate but considering its free and takes 5 min I think its a no brainer! I am a mechanical engineer so I tend to get nerdy about car performance lol.
Be a good test. GM did all the testing for best drag and air flow from the hood and back over the car along with heat extraction. That said then they install rain deflector for the compartment so people won’t get annoyed with water in the engine bay. So makes you wonder how much more it would help if any to remove it. You would think they would say remove it for track day if it really did. Probably a legal reason at gm like a lot of things are .
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 07:14 PM   #7
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I'll be at CMP in two weeks. I'll try to remember to remove it and report back on what the temp impact is. Probably will need to wait until VIR (long straights) to report if it reduces air resistance and thus improves speed.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:31 AM   #8
Briland_1LE

Going 120-130mph before and after I noticed the hood doesn't bulge upwards as much from under hood pressure. I'm curious to hear what you find out.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:27 AM   #9
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
yup i had to tell my buddy about this he had no idea