Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-29-2022, 07:13 PM   #1
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Help me identify this noise following new engine install

Hey guys,

I need the help of fellow SS owners to sort out this new noise I'm hearing from the engine bay following a very recent engine replacement by the dealer. The sound:

Under very light throttle (think breathing onto to pedal), I hear what sounds like a combination of an intake "woosh" and a kind of light scraping sound like you might hear if you dragged sand paper across wood or maybe metal. It seems to go away after the RMPs climb about 500-750 revs. It does it in first gear from a start, and while shifting through the gears 1 through 4. But it doesn't seem related to clutch pedal actuation, as the sound it can be repeated (on throttle, off throttle, on throttle) while leaving it in a given gear (no clutch involved). My previous engine never made this sound under any circumstances.

Shouldn't be the AFM system because M6 doesn't have a functioning system, right? No way the dealer could have accidently made the AFM operational with engine replacement on an M6, right? What else could it be?
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 09:16 PM   #2
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Just a guess - that’s sounds like throttle body noise. I get a quiet swoosh sound from idle to throttle tip in as the throttle blade starts to open. Maybe check to see if the intake tube is tight and secure to the throttle body.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 09:24 AM   #3
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Do you have the sound tube, or an old one you already took off, on the 2021? If you removed it, I would try putting it back on and see if the sound changes. Should be louder if this is intake-related. Or take it off if you have yet to do so.

let's start with the "woosh" and see if we can isolate this as intake vs powertrain. Scrape does not sound good, and makes me think possible clutch slip before the pressure plate fully clamps at higher rpm.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 01:59 PM   #4
N Camarolina

Thanks for the thoughts so far. Will check on the intake. Please keep the ideas coming.

No, I don't have a sound tube and never did (it's a 2SS, so didn't come with one). The intake still has the proper plug in it where the sound tube would have connected. I assume there is still the appropriate plug in the firewall (as dealer would have had no reason to remove), but I can't confirm.

Possible clutch slip (scraping sound) doesn't sound good. Any thoughts on how to diagnose that one or rule it out? Does anybody know what can cause clutch slip (air in the clutch line? improper transmission alignment during the re-installation?)?
Old 03-31-2022, 07:04 AM   #5
LT1gen6

Drives: '22 LT1 Coupe
That your thread is apparently stalled suggests the next step in identifying the "sounds" is with a) the dealer; b) another dealer; c) Chevy corporate; d) a knowledgeable independent shop. Meanwhile, continuing to drive the car in its "mystery state" can't be good.

This is the car that experienced engine failure in a track setting, with replacement being made under GM warranty, right? Obviously, the warranty repair/replacement is incomplete, with remedy awaiting GM followup. Best wishes in finding satisfactory resolution.
LT1gen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 07:31 AM   #6
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1gen6 View Post
That your thread is apparently stalled suggests the next step in identifying the "sounds" is with a) the dealer; b) another dealer; c) Chevy corporate; d) a knowledgeable independent shop. Meanwhile, continuing to drive the car in its "mystery state" can't be good.

This is the car that experienced engine failure in a track setting, with replacement being made under GM warranty, right? Obviously, the warranty repair/replacement is incomplete, with remedy awaiting GM followup. Best wishes in finding satisfactory resolution.
Stalled? Thread was started 48 hours ago.

Things take time, and issues that are the result of the warranty work will also be repaired under warranty.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 09:08 AM   #7
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
Possible clutch slip (scraping sound) doesn't sound good. Any thoughts on how to diagnose that one or rule it out? Does anybody know what can cause clutch slip (air in the clutch line? improper transmission alignment during the re-installation?)?
If this is the noise, and so far it's just a guess, I would think old clutch disc against new flywheel is the problem. They wear together.
There is probably some kind of honing procedure that can be done to the old clutch prior to mating things up with a new surface.

As far as monitoring clutch slip this can probably be done with a dealer scan tool.
Engine rpm vs vehicle speed sensor data, plus you need to know the gear ratio for the gear you are in. I believe the car actually monitors this (not sure if it's ECM or TCM) and throws a code if there is too much slip. This thread has some info on the topic:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=600731

Well, Sachs has some tips:
https://aftermarket.zf.com/go/en/sac...utch-slipping/
So, in just reading through that, it does sound like it might be slip because it's happening at a specific point of the acceleration phase. it does not sound like starter grind or more serious mechanical interference.

Also, because you track the car, you are probably wearing the clutch differently compared to someone like me who basically babies the thing as a daily driver.

Last edited by ctrlz; 03-31-2022 at 09:31 AM.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 01:21 PM   #8
LT1gen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Stalled? Thread was started 48 hours ago.
Yep, stalled. Original thread is almost a month old. It's the same unresolved original warranty issue stated there.
Old 03-31-2022, 01:25 PM   #9
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Yep, stalled. Original thread is almost a month old. It's the same unresolved original warranty issue stated there.
The 'original' thread? You mean the one about GETTING the motor swapped? This thread is two days old and was started SINCE getting the motor swapped.
Old 03-31-2022, 04:24 PM   #10
LT1gen6

This thread reminds me of someone going to the hospital for a heart transplant, and then reaching out to the anonymous internet to diagnose the meaning of unknown symptoms post surgery. Whack-a-mole guesses are better than nothing, apparently.

Having trouble with the engine transplant detailed in another thread? Go back to the transplant surgeon (mechanic), or someone equivalent for a 2nd opinion, which is exactly what I stated in my original post on this thread.

However, instead of offering further good advice, we can just quibble about meaningless things, such as whether the thread has stalled or not. One trademark characteristic of a stalled thread? Quibbling banter that strays off topic as the only activity to keep it active. So sure, I'll happily indulge a quibble about the age of the thread and underlying issue, since offering some constructive ideas earlier. Sometimes quibbling is harmless, cheap fun, and definitely better than mindless name calling.

Last edited by LT1gen6; 03-31-2022 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-31-2022, 04:28 PM   #11
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
This thread reminds me of someone going to the hospital for a heart transplant, and then reaching out to the anonymous internet to diagnose the meaning of unknown symptoms post surgery. Whack-a-mole guesses are better than nothing, apparently.

Having trouble with the engine transplant detailed in another thread? Go back to the transplant surgeon (mechanic), or someone equivalent for a 2nd opinion, which is exactly what I stated in my original post on this thread.

However, instead of offering further good advice, we can just quibble about meaningless things, such as whether the thread has stalled or not. One trademark characteristic of a stalled thread? Quibbling banter that strays off topic as the only activity to keep it active.
Says the quibbler... lol

Whatever, man.
Old 03-31-2022, 06:02 PM   #12
N Camarolina

Quote:

However, instead of offering further good advice, we can just quibble about meaningless things, such as whether the thread has stalled or not. One trademark characteristic of a stalled thread? Quibbling banter that strays off topic as the only activity to keep it active. So sure, I'll happily indulge a quibble about the age of the thread and underlying issue, since offering some constructive ideas earlier. Sometimes quibbling is harmless, cheap fun, and definitely better than mindless name calling.
What's your problem????

I post a separate thread about my engine failing and use that as a way to let others know how the replacement process went with the dealer. I started this new thread 2-3 days ago because a new and specific problem has arisen as a result of the all the work the dealer did, and I was hoping that some of the guys here may have encountered the same problem would be willing to share the cause and the fix. This is part of what we use the forum for.

Then you come in here, offer no help whatsoever, make incorrect statements about the thread being dead (relevance?? Are you the Camaro6 thread god?), effectively take the thread off topic by starting an argument with another member, then have the balls to say that the thread is dead because it's devolved into a discussion about whether the thread is dead.

If you don't have anything constructive to contribute to this thread, I suggest you go elsewhere. The rest of us thank you!
Old 03-31-2022, 06:10 PM   #13
Efi69Cam

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS 2017 Yukon Denali
Does the noise only happen when the car is moving? Might be something as simple as one of the 34 covers under the car and around the engine compartment not being completely fastened.
Efi69Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 06:37 PM   #14
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Obviously, the warranty repair/replacement is incomplete, with remedy awaiting GM followup. Best wishes in finding satisfactory resolution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
If you don't have anything constructive to contribute to this thread, I suggest you go elsewhere. The rest of us thank you!
There's nothing wrong with you posting this thread but he did not "offer no help whatsoever". He makes a good point (maybe more harshly than needed). This thread could actually help someone else in the future if the noise is found and corrected. But very few of the users on this forum have had their engine replaced so your best bet is to simply return it to the dealership and have someone ride along with you to show them the noise(s) that the car is now making that it didn't make before and let them diagnose/fix it under warranty.

It is unfortunate that they didn't catch this before giving the car back to you.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote