#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-06-2021, 03:08 PM   #15
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Sounds right on the tires, or tire brand characteristics. Only 10mm less stagger vs stock but maybe just enough for more oversteer (?) heck with 305 sq I need the bigger hotchkiss front bar on to help with oversteer just in autocross
Yeah, I had to go with 295 fronts due to non-availability of 285s. Significant.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:35 PM   #16
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomcustom View Post
I would’ve been nice to see a 100% factory stock 1LE vs the Mach.

Completely agree
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:29 PM   #17
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Not super surprising given the m1 slight hp advantage. Great video either way!

Last edited by Aragorn; 08-06-2021 at 11:30 PM.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:53 PM   #18
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Love Randy, but c'mon. We need to compare 2 brand new cars in factory settings, on factory rubber. 0.4s is well within the margin of error on a 100s track.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:57 PM   #19
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by STReddy1999 View Post
Key Points:
-Mach 1 was a 10-speed auto, SS 1LE was a 6-speed manual
-Mach 1 was 0.4 seconds faster around Atlanta Motorsports Park
-SS 1LE felt wrong to Randy, brake fade and mid-corner oversteer he claims were not present in SS 1LEs he's driven previously
Some additional points:
  • I think Randy said the Mach1 weighs 3750lb, but that's about 100lb lighter than it really weighs (Motortrend got 3844lbs for a 10sp Mach 1 with handling package). The 1LE really is around 3750lb, so it's roughly 100lbs lighter.
  • The Mustang didn't have a good alignment done yet. I'm not sure how much negative camber they can get front and rear, but I think they're like the last GT350s with adjustable camber plates and they can quite a bit - maybe even more than the SS 1LE. It can go faster than it did in this test.
  • I couldn't tell for sure if he really got "all nannies off mode" in the 1LE or not. I saw the Stabilitrak Off indicator light was lit, which is good. But I couldn't see if the TCS Off indicator was also lit? Randy said he felt some TCS kick in, which makes me think it wasn't all the way off.
  • I wasn't clear about the tire sizes on the Camaro. He said they were the same as on the Mach 1 (305 and 315/30/19), but Michelin does make the Sport Cup 2 in stock 1LE sizes. If he used 305/315 combo, were the front wheels still 10" wide like the stock 1LE? If so, I doubt that would cause oversteer. It would have been ideal to use the stock sizes, but that takes extra bankroll to set up the test like that. Regardless, I'm glad he used the same type of tire on both cars. Nothing is more frustrating to me than a track test where the cars are wearing different kinds of tires! That's totally pointless.
  • My guess is that the Camaro had Powerstop z26 pads because the previous owner didn't like the uber-dusty OE pads. The Powerstop are fine on the street and probably also autocross, but they will fade on a road course after multiple laps.

In the end, I think the takeaway is that these cars are close enough to be considered pretty equal on track. As some of you note, for the price difference that's pretty impressive. Remember, with the 10sp and Handling Package that Mach 1 in the test has, it's a minimum $58k MSRP. Subtract the upcharge for the 10sp auto (which is similar for both cars) and the Mach 1 is still more than $10k costlier than the 1LE. And the 1LE warranty covers track usage, which I doubt the Mustang's warranty does.

Last edited by Msquared; 08-06-2021 at 10:07 PM.
Msquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 07:30 AM   #20
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
Some additional points:
  • I think Randy said the Mach1 weighs 3750lb, but that's about 100lb lighter than it really weighs (Motortrend got 3844lbs for a 10sp Mach 1 with handling package). The 1LE really is around 3750lb, so it's roughly 100lbs lighter.
  • The Mustang didn't have a good alignment done yet. I'm not sure how much negative camber they can get front and rear, but I think they're like the last GT350s with adjustable camber plates and they can quite a bit - maybe even more than the SS 1LE. It can go faster than it did in this test.
  • I couldn't tell for sure if he really got "all nannies off mode" in the 1LE or not. I saw the Stabilitrak Off indicator light was lit, which is good. But I couldn't see if the TCS Off indicator was also lit? Randy said he felt some TCS kick in, which makes me think it wasn't all the way off.
  • I wasn't clear about the tire sizes on the Camaro. He said they were the same as on the Mach 1 (305 and 315/30/19), but Michelin does make the Sport Cup 2 in stock 1LE sizes. If he used 305/315 combo, were the front wheels still 10" wide like the stock 1LE? If so, I doubt that would cause oversteer. It would have been ideal to use the stock sizes, but that takes extra bankroll to set up the test like that. Regardless, I'm glad he used the same type of tire on both cars. Nothing is more frustrating to me than a track test where the cars are wearing different kinds of tires! That's totally pointless.
  • My guess is that the Camaro had Powerstop z26 pads because the previous owner didn't like the uber-dusty OE pads. The Powerstop are fine on the street and probably also autocross, but they will fade on a road course after multiple laps.

In the end, I think the takeaway is that these cars are close enough to be considered pretty equal on track. As some of you note, for the price difference that's pretty impressive. Remember, with the 10sp and Handling Package that Mach 1 in the test has, it's a minimum $58k MSRP. Subtract the upcharge for the 10sp auto (which is similar for both cars) and the Mach 1 is still more than $10k costlier than the 1LE. And the 1LE warranty covers track usage, which I doubt the Mustang's warranty does.
Very good points all the way around Msquared. I am surprised Randy couldn’t tell if all the nannies were turned off or not. He sorta owns a 1LE. Unless the steps to turn them off are different from the 2.0T 1LE to the SS 1LE it would seem like he woulda known.

As for tire size, I thought the 1LE was on 20” Cup 2, so I’m assuming 10” front 11” rear. They could have used a 285/305 stagger. I may need to go back to the video to see if they gave the widths. I know I heard him say the 1LE was on 20”.

It would have been nice to have them run fresh vs fresh, but I can get enough out of this competition to satisfy my curiosity. Stock brake pads on the 1LE and more negative camber on the Mach I would probably net similar results. The price difference plus other content differences (HUD, PDR) would still lean me towards the 1LE.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 09:01 AM   #21
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

Based on this chart from MT, the Camaro SS1LE should perform better than the Mustang Mach 1
Attached Images

'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 09:57 AM   #22
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
Based on this chart from MT, the Camaro SS1LE should perform better than the Mustang Mach 1
Two tests four years apart with who-knows-what alignments and different OE tires is not a very useful comparison. Were they even using the same site? And what were the weather conditions for each? Probably M/T themselves can't even answer the last question. I can tell you from personal observation that a GT350 and 1LE are neck and neck in an autocross setting with the same kind of tire and maxed-out alignments, and expect the Mach 1 to be the same.
Old 08-07-2021, 05:34 PM   #23
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Found this comment. Maybe the owner of the Camaro?

Thank you again Randy ! The car forsure needed a little more bleeding on the brakes to get the pedal firm again , I had someone who was half asleep pressing pedal the first time lol .

Also the front struts was rubbing on inner tire (305 vs factory 285 guys) solved with a small 5mm spacer . ill make some tweaks with the alignment to see if we can get her more stable but i think we found the issue .

otherwise she did great even with small issues vs a car more than double what i paid for mine !
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 06:00 PM   #24
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Love Randy, but c'mon. We need to compare 2 brand new cars in factory settings, on factory rubber. 0.4s is well within the margin of error on a 100s track.
x10

waste of time

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 06:28 PM   #25
1320it

Drives: Honda
The only notable thing the Mach 1 has is the Tremec 6-speed, which isn't even on this car. Even though I own a 2015 Mustang GT, I firmly believe the Camaro is the better platform. Its why I ordered a ZL1 1LE
1320it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 10:31 PM   #26
weemus

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
I think this is spot on for a REAL world comparison. Not every 1LE owner is rocking the performance alignment and stock pads (in the least) and high performance brake fluid. We will def see a stock to stock prepped comparo but as Randy said on this one the devil is in the details, i.e. setup.
weemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 01:28 AM   #27
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I am surprised Randy couldn’t tell if all the nannies were turned off or not. He sorta owns a 1LE. Unless the steps to turn them off are different from the 2.0T 1LE to the SS 1LE it would seem like he woulda known.
This alone was my biggest WTH moment with Randy. I mean with all the 1LE reviews he has done over the years and he's not sure what he has??? Seemed very unusual coming from him.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:46 AM   #28
funked1

Drives: '23 Hyundai Kona N, '24 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
I wonder if not using the stock 1LE tire sizes is why the car didn't feel quite right.
I just did a track day with mine on a square setup and it definitely got looser. Also more grip is going to make brake fade more likely. The car is really dialed in for the stock tires, and I am going back to that setup for track days.
funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote