airtroop01

Drives: 2018 Cadillac CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
I’ve got:
2” ceramic coated headers
AWE Touring catback with resonators
Magnaflow center muffler

At 927 WHP last year before Kong ported the blower. I’ll run it again on the dyno soon to see what the porting did for power. Should be able to put 1K WHP through that Magnaflow without a problem. I’m only at 14/15 pounds of boost at that power level so it’s definitely not a restriction…yet…lol.
That’s what I needed to know. Thanks!
I’m at 836 whp now before the Magnaflow install and *think* I’m feeling a little difference in the pedal afterwards. So maybe it’s in my head and/or maybe I need to break it in a bit. Lol.

900-1000 is the goal and I’ll call it done and focus on other mods.
Gotta reel in those EVs after they take off like jack rabbits around here.
airtroop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 07:33 AM   #156
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by airtroop01 View Post
I’m at 836 whp now before the Magnaflow install and *think* I’m feeling a little difference in the pedal afterwards. So maybe it’s in my head and/or maybe I need to break it in a bit. Lol.

I think its in your head. Any change in the exhaust note will make you feel that way.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:21 AM   #157
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:

No problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
I think its in your head. Any change in the exhaust note will make you feel that way.
Yeah, every time I make a change, especially to the exhaust, it takes a while to get my head to understand what the new normal noises are!
Old 05-12-2022, 09:02 AM   #158
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/j...4aAsryEALw_wcB

If you want something very similar to the magnaflow, but more of a true "x" insted of a Y-to-y connection internally. Just installed on a customer's ZL1 with ARH headers + Borla Atak (extremely loud). Now the car is very tame and tastefully loud. Jones-MF2469. It had no power loss when doing an a-b comparison compared to the unmuffled exhaust system at 860rwhp.

I will be installing this muffler on my personal ZL1 to try out with my ARH setup + Borla S-Type.

It is more of a factory style "stamped x" rather than an aftermarket "spliced-x" if that makes sense, but still an X and more free flowing than the magnaflow's Y-pipe setup.

We chose to install this in place of the ARH X-pipe that is up front. The packaging on this muffler is a little better than the magnaflow (slightly narrower), so it can be tucked further into the tunnel which is nice.

The body width
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 09:18 AM   #159
Z OH 6

Quote:
No problem.

Yeah, every time I make a change, especially to the exhaust, it takes a while to get my head to understand what the new normal noises are!
I think our ears get really tuned in with the exhaust note as certain rpm's and such, when it changes, it makes us feel like the car is doing something different, even though its just the same.

Last edited by Z OH 6; 05-12-2022 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-12-2022, 10:22 AM   #160
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Zach View Post
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/j...4aAsryEALw_wcB

If you want something very similar to the magnaflow, but more of a true "x" insted of a Y-to-y connection internally. Just installed on a customer's ZL1 with ARH headers + Borla Atak (extremely loud). Now the car is very tame and tastefully loud. Jones-MF2469. It had no power loss when doing an a-b comparison compared to the unmuffled exhaust system at 860rwhp.

I will be installing this muffler on my personal ZL1 to try out with my ARH setup + Borla S-Type.

It is more of a factory style "stamped x" rather than an aftermarket "spliced-x" if that makes sense, but still an X and more free flowing than the magnaflow's Y-pipe setup.

We chose to install this in place of the ARH X-pipe that is up front. The packaging on this muffler is a little better than the magnaflow (slightly narrower), so it can be tucked further into the tunnel which is nice.

The body width
That's a good suggestion, thanks for sharing.
Old 05-20-2022, 02:37 PM   #161
airtroop01

Drives: 2018 Cadillac CTS-V
I’ll have to try one of the other solutions, but this Magnaflow one is coming out of my car. It definitely is not in my head… without a doubt it is creating the sound I wanted on the street and picky racetracks with a db limit.

However, above 3200rpm the motor is choked off and I am getting some poor performance and quite frankly it’s just got me bent every time I drive it ever since I put it in.

I called Magnaflow and had a chat with them and they confirmed that 2x 3” inlets go to a single 3” middle and then out to the dual 3” outlet. They sent me the schematic of the insides so I could see for myself.

So basically any gains from a dual 3” exhaust are thrown out because you have a single 3” bottleneck in the middle. I might find a good welder who wants to do some surgery on this muffler to see if it can be salvaged. Short of that I’m ready to run it over with my truck as soon as I can cut it out like a cancer from the body.
Attached Images

airtroop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 04:07 PM   #162
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
I’ll have to try one of the other solutions, but this Magnaflow one is coming out of my car. It definitely is not in my head… without a doubt it is creating the sound I wanted on the street and picky racetracks with a db limit.

However, above 3200rpm the motor is choked off and I am getting some poor performance and quite frankly it’s just got me bent every time I drive it ever since I put it in.

I called Magnaflow and had a chat with them and they confirmed that 2x 3” inlets go to a single 3” middle and then out to the dual 3” outlet. They sent me the schematic of the insides so I could see for myself.

So basically any gains from a dual 3” exhaust are thrown out because you have a single 3” bottleneck in the middle. I might find a good welder who wants to do some surgery on this muffler to see if it can be salvaged. Short of that I’m ready to run it over with my truck as soon as I can cut it out like a cancer from the body.
I’ve brought this up for over a year and everyone said it wouldn’t lose power….
I just can’t see how there isn’t a bottleneck on a high powered car running both banks into 1 3” pipe.

That’s making each bank 1 1/2” each. It’s why it never went on my car.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 04:09 PM   #163
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
I did 2 bullet style resonators and have been very pleased with the results
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 04:42 PM   #164
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post
I just can’t see how there isn’t a bottleneck on a high powered car running both banks into 1 3” pipe.

927 WHP here with only 14 & change pounds of boost…I feel like if that muffler was restrictive my boost number would be higher to register the restriction, no? So weird.
Old 05-20-2022, 04:51 PM   #165
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
927 WHP here with only 14 & change pounds of boost…I feel like if that muffler was restrictive my boost number would be higher to register the restriction, no? So weird.
It's just the laws of physics my friend...a single 3" pipe is only good for 500whp or so before it becomes a restriction. Even a dual 3" exhaust is only good for about 780-800whp before it becomes a restriction. Some of it also depends on the amount of bends and turns.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if you picked up a decent amount removing that muffler. Could be some of the trap speed that you think you are missing. Imo a 1000whp car needs a dual 3.5" system to be restriction free.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 04:58 PM   #166
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post

If it hasn't been dyno'd and proven, then it doesn't count. Butt dyno's aren't accurate. If it's robbing any power, a dyno or track results is the only way to know for sure.
Old 05-20-2022, 05:53 PM   #167
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
I did 2 bullet style resonators and have been very pleased with the results

Do you have any pics?

I was told and worried that (2) resonators wouldnt help enough so i went with the center X muffler. much better.
Attached Images

ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 06:00 PM   #168
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
If it hasn't been dyno'd and proven, then it doesn't count. Butt dyno's aren't accurate. If it's robbing any power, a dyno or track results is the only way to know for sure.

King is right though, its simple Physics. I don't trust it, it doesn't make any sense to use it. Maybe on less hp builds.

Even though its a short distance inside the muffler, your still cramming 5.5" (stock) or 6" of pipe into a 3" pipe.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote