Phastek Performance

Old 05-12-2022, 05:57 PM   #15
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
Great question for RUQWIKR and a part number please
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=600626

Take a look through that thread at all the pics of the front and the rears with PN's (85536980 / 81).
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:21 PM   #16
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Black Wing deflectors will fit according to my contact working on the program. I have no proof outside of genuinely thrusting this person.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 08:52 AM   #17
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I'd love to hear if anyone with an SS1LE has experience with using the Black Wing deflectors on the front and whether it cools better than the old SS deflector (and by default, the SS 1LE OEM deflector)

I've been reviewing the above pictures of the 3 different deflectors and looks like the Black Wing version has design elements that make it a hybrid of the OEM SS 1LE (horizontal trough to receive air from the brake cooling air duct and direct it along the suspension arm and toward the rotor) and the SS (shovel scoop that hangs down and grabs additional air from beneath the car).
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:21 AM   #18
khcoaching

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
I'd love to hear if anyone with an SS1LE has experience with using the Black Wing deflectors on the front and whether it cools better than the old SS deflector (and by default, the SS 1LE OEM deflector)

I've been reviewing the above pictures of the 3 different deflectors and looks like the Black Wing version has design elements that make it a hybrid of the OEM SS 1LE (horizontal trough to receive air from the brake cooling air duct and direct it along the suspension arm and toward the rotor) and the SS (shovel scoop that hangs down and grabs additional air from beneath the car).
I'd be interested in knowing how people are testing these without objective data? Not trying to be trolling, but unless you are overheating your brakes currently to some sort of degradation, hard to really know. That said, there must be something to it if they are beefing them up compared to say the optional SS Camaro ones.

Ken
khcoaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 11:33 AM   #19
N Camarolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by khcoaching View Post
I'd be interested in knowing how people are testing these without objective data? Not trying to be trolling, but unless you are overheating your brakes currently to some sort of degradation, hard to really know. That said, there must be something to it if they are beefing them up compared to say the optional SS Camaro ones.

Ken
An excellent point Ken. Testing data would be quite informative.

I think most owners are adding deflectors as potentially preventative without having had a brake issue in the first place (cooler brake temps being generally better than hotter, as long as pads get to operating temp). I'd be happy to do the same, so long as I know I'm not somehow making cooling worse than OEM (less airflow from my ducting actually getting to my rotors or perhaps interference from the air being scooped from below).

I've not heard anyone actually testing brake hardware temps. Closest I heard was one SS 1LE owner track rat who experienced brake failure and (hope I'm remembering this right) thinks he boiled his SRF fluid at CMP. Not sure which pads he was using. He then added the SS scoop deflectors, vented pistons (and maybe Ti shims?) all at the same time. He never had a problem after that (CMP or anywhere else), but also pointed out that he doesn't know which of the changes helped and how much benefit each contributed.

So would test data be as simple as a tire temp probe placed on the rotor or caliper immediately after a lapping session? Then compare temps for before vs after deflector, under similar ambient temps?
Old 05-27-2022, 01:07 PM   #20
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=600626

Take a look through that thread at all the pics of the front and the rears with PN's (85536980 / 81).
I can confirm these are correct PN's as I've ordered and received the deflectors.

Quote:
An excellent point Ken. Testing data would be quite informative.

I think most owners are adding deflectors as potentially preventative without having had a brake issue in the first place (cooler brake temps being generally better than hotter, as long as pads get to operating temp). I'd be happy to do the same, so long as I know I'm not somehow making cooling worse than OEM (less airflow from my ducting actually getting to my rotors or perhaps interference from the air being scooped from below).

I've not heard anyone actually testing brake hardware temps. Closest I heard was one SS 1LE owner track rat who experienced brake failure and (hope I'm remembering this right) thinks he boiled his SRF fluid at CMP. Not sure which pads he was using. He then added the SS scoop deflectors, vented pistons (and maybe Ti shims?) all at the same time. He never had a problem after that (CMP or anywhere else), but also pointed out that he doesn't know which of the changes helped and how much benefit each contributed.

So would test data be as simple as a tire temp probe placed on the rotor or caliper immediately after a lapping session? Then compare temps for before vs after deflector, under similar ambient temps?
I'm looking to test soon:
Z/06 vented pistons vs solid pistons
SS Track deflector vs CT5-V BW deflectors (and maybe SS 1LE deflectors)

Waiting on confirmation for an up-coming track day though. "Data" will be via caliper temperature strips. I may also devise a "garage" test, for the deflectors, utilizing an electric leaf blower and heating the rotor for a particular duration/temperature and checking cool-down rate.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 02:31 PM   #21
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
since i got my full spl parts kit and coilovers i dont have any cooling ducts anymore hope somebody can come up with something!
Old 05-27-2022, 07:35 PM   #22
Timbo-1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Read #8. No data but felt better at Daytona. Sebring the 11th will be the test. End of 20 min, brake fade before.
Timbo-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:02 PM   #23
N Camarolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo-1LE View Post
Read #8. No data but felt better at Daytona. Sebring the 11th will be the test. End of 20 min, brake fade before.
Thanks for flagging. Did you also swap the rotor splash shield with the SS track version, or were you still using the 1LE OEM?
Old 05-27-2022, 08:07 PM   #24
N Camarolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
I can confirm these are correct PN's as I've ordered and received the deflectors.

I'm looking to test soon:
Z/06 vented pistons vs solid pistons
SS Track deflector vs CT5-V BW deflectors (and maybe SS 1LE deflectors)

Waiting on confirmation for an up-coming track day though. "Data" will be via caliper temperature strips. I may also devise a "garage" test, for the deflectors, utilizing an electric leaf blower and heating the rotor for a particular duration/temperature and checking cool-down rate.
Thanks. Looking forward to hearing about your results. To the extent that you can, please try to keep it is scientific as possible by only testing on variable at a time (type of deflector, type of piston) using a before (session 1: 1LE deflector) vs after (session 2: black wing deflector) approach.
Old 05-29-2022, 05:26 AM   #25
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
since i got my full spl parts kit and coilovers i dont have any cooling ducts anymore hope somebody can come up with something!
Turner told me the other day he is going to work on it finally. We'll see.
Old 05-31-2022, 01:38 PM   #26
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Thanks. Looking forward to hearing about your results. To the extent that you can, please try to keep it is scientific as possible by only testing on variable at a time (type of deflector, type of piston) using a before (session 1: 1LE deflector) vs after (session 2: black wing deflector) approach.
You guys will get a summary of what I find. Free information here. Be grateful I am even sharing anything.

One caliper has the vented pistons and one does not. That will be constant through the entire track event - take it or leave it.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 02:58 PM   #27
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
Turner told me the other day he is going to work on it finally. We'll see.

sounds good let me know what he finds out since im not local ill probably hear last lol
Old 05-31-2022, 08:49 PM   #28
Sephx1

Drives: 18 ZLE, 18 SS1LE, 16 SS, 23 ZL1
I left the smaller rotor shields in place as I couldn’t see that making much difference in the street driving I do. The big plastic deflectors are a bit much for everyday driving and easily swapped out so I change those.
Sephx1 is offline   Reply With Quote