Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-25-2021, 07:25 AM   #15
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
The market is always changing no matter where you are. If you are genuinely interested in -selling- your car, do as much research as you can to find out what comparable cars are selling for in your area. Look on dealer web sites (understand that dealers WILL get more for the car), go through AutoTrader and similar (look for private sales if you can find them), etc. Do NOT use Carmax, Carvana, or any of those sites as they tend to sell the cars for WAY too much money. Look up KBB and NADA values for private sale.

Be smart about how you advertise and price your car. More, higher quality photos that show all of the good of the car as well as any blemishes. Be honest about things that are not 100% perfect. While you may love your car, it's currently only a "thing" to anyone else.

If you're looking to trade your car, get over needing to get a specific trade value for it. It's completely irrelevant. All that matters is your car plus how many dollars for the car you want. Find the dealer that offers the smallest gap between sale of new and trade of old ('how many dollars' from previous statement) and that's your best deal.

Either way, you have to go into the process with all facts and no emotions. Set your prices before you even start advertising or looking for a replacement vehicle. Be respectful at all times, and always be ready to say "Thank you, but no thank you" and walk away.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:26 AM   #16
WHealy

Drives: 21 LT1
I think the issues are lessened with weather assuming you advertise on a national web site. There are always warm states and individuals looking for deals all be it, the population is market is smaller given the seasons. And you won't get same value as you were if you lived in a warm weather state, but it is open year round.

As for purchasing new, I've found December is the best month by far over the years. That's usually when the largest incentives by manufacturers are available as they are tying to shore up their year end numbers.
WHealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:47 AM   #17
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHealy View Post
I think the issues are lessened with weather assuming you advertise on a national web site. There are always warm states and individuals looking for deals all be it, the population is market is smaller given the seasons. And you won't get same value as you were if you lived in a warm weather state, but it is open year round.

As for purchasing new, I've found December is the best month by far over the years. That's usually when the largest incentives by manufacturers are available as they are tying to shore up their year end numbers.
December can yield good deals on some makes/models, but it is not necessarily the "best" time. The "year end" isn't as important as the manufacturer's fiscal year end. For example, there are several manufacturers (off of the top of my head) that have a fiscal year ending in the spring. Your "best" time, in ~general~ is at the end of a month, and also at the end of a fiscal quarter or year. That is double dipping in terms of having the cards in your favor.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:52 AM   #18
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
December can yield good deals on some makes/models, but it is not necessarily the "best" time. The "year end" isn't as important as the manufacturer's fiscal year end. For example, there are several manufacturers (off of the top of my head) that have a fiscal year ending in the spring. Your "best" time, in ~general~ is at the end of a month, and also at the end of a fiscal quarter or year. That is double dipping in terms of having the cards in your favor.
For purchasing new, I agree.

Timing is everything, though. Start your shopping ahead of time and know what's on the dealer's lot. Move into the negotiation phase and then let it stall out around mid-month. When dealerships hit their sales goals, they get the holdbacks from cars that have been sold (this is basically money that the manufacturer allows the dealerships to keep on each car if they hit their goals). This is additional revenue for the dealership and can make it easier for them to provide extra incentive on a late-month contract signing that will put them over their number. THIS is when you go back and see how much they want the deal. Show up on the next-to-last business day of the month and be ready to sign if they make the right offer.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote