Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-30-2020, 10:38 AM   #1
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Tell your best (or worst?) I damaged a vehicle story!

I had just replied to a thread about an unfortunate morning. It reminded me of some of the incidents that I've had... and I think the discussion deserved it's own thread .

"One of best ones I had was I reversed the car (a previous, not my Camaro) into the garage, forgot to set the hand brake, and watched it roll into my snowmobile LOL. Thankfully there was no damage to either, from what I recall."

Another incident..same car actually ...I was doing some chip repair/paint correction on the front bumper cover. I ended up having to take the panel in for a respray anyway because I wet sanded and a sharp crease got the best of me. Clear coat and paint were gone..down to the primer
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 11:28 AM   #2
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
I had a G35 Coupe in my garage that I ended up having a toilet tank cover denting the right rear quarter panel. PDR guy got it looking right, but still..

I had replaced one of my toilets and didn't want to take the old toilet to the dump yet, so I put it in pieces in my storage shelf above the car in my garage. Somehow, something shifted, and the tank top fell off the shelf putting a sizable dent on my pristine car. I still have no idea what caused the tank top to shift as it was there for months... And not many can say their car was damaged by a flying toilet.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 11:43 AM   #3
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
I had a G35 Coupe in my garage that I ended up having a toilet tank cover denting the right rear quarter panel. PDR guy got it looking right, but still..

I had replaced one of my toilets and didn't want to take the old toilet to the dump yet, so I put it in pieces in my storage shelf above the car in my garage. Somehow, something shifted, and the tank top fell off the shelf putting a sizable dent on my pristine car. I still have no idea what caused the tank top to shift as it was there for months... And not many can say their car was damaged by a flying toilet.
Oh my . A toilet tank cover must've made a good mark on the quarter panel..can barely wax many of them without denting those popcans.

The car in my incidents was a (spotless) 350z..so a very similar cousin
Old 12-30-2020, 11:51 AM   #4
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post

That is a pretty crappy thing to have happen
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 12:30 PM   #5
joekd

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS vert
This is my worst story and one I will never forget. Pretty long but worth the read.

Years ago had a trans am, rear end was recently built up and the way the posi clutches were done was pretty close to a full locker.

This was back when I was young and poor so I drove my cars year round here in New England. This day there was a light covering of snow on the roads, the kind of stuff where everyone into cars thinks they are a drifter.

Anyway, had some friends following me in their own car, got on a road that was 2 lane dead straight so I couldn't resist, was wide open in 1-3 gears completely sideways, like taking up both lanes sideways. Went over a manhole cover that due to the heat running through the pipes below wasn't frozen. One wheel on dry, one on snow = uncontrollable spin. Guys behind me said at one point there was only one tire touching the ground while still in the air spinning and that one was lifting too.

Car was close to the curb and just about to roll over (t-top car so not much protection there) when I hit some guys mailbox who (fortunately) believed in total overkill and used a solid piece of I beam as a mailbox post. Hit it, car stopped spinning instantly and was back on the ground.

Only damage to the car was a fender (where it met the I beam) and front splitter tore off. I consider myself damn lucky that mailbox was there. Later that day I knocked on his door and thanked him for his choice of post and offered to pay for a new box. He had already picked it up and bolted it back on and said everything was fine.
joekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 12:33 PM   #6
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
I worked at a tire changing shop in high school, my best friend was the manager, i was loading a car on a drive on lift (BMW to be exact) and drove it completely off the lift onto its nose......
Old 12-30-2020, 12:42 PM   #7
mano_camaro
IYAOYAS

Drives: 22 1LE 2SS M6 Riverside Blue
on my previous camaro 2018 SS, i was trying to do touchless wash and dry on my driveway, while using an air hose from my compressor, on the drivers side door, i got too close with the air hose attachment tip (water was grabby with the panel) and ended up touching the door with the hose tip while in an up & down motion causing a 5 inch long nice deep scratch.

Not as terrible as others like the toilet but still sucks causing "love marks" when trying to prevent them in the first place.

2020 Red Hot Camaro 2SS 1LE/PDR /Sold

2018 black Camaro 2SS M6 Redline Edition/Traded

2016 summit white Camaro RS V6 M6/Traded
mano_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 01:00 PM   #8
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i worked at a shop and somebody else did the brakes on some van, pulled the van off the lift and didnt pump the brakes or even check them throught it in reverse and backed the car up and found out it had no brakes turned the wheel as hard and fast as i could and hit two cars in the lot...tried to blame is on mechanic and he tried to blame it on me we ended up fixing it all didnt even tell the customer
Old 12-30-2020, 01:31 PM   #9
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
I had a saddle bag (hard bag) for my Harley off my bike because I needed to check something under it. I set it down next to me... (I'd normally set them down on the rug in my garage just in case). Well sure $hit, I turned around for a tool and my foot knocked it over. The cement scraped up the lit and pin striping on the lid. It cost me to get if repainted.
jamala00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 02:36 PM   #10
Walkure

Drives: '17 ZL1 A10 Vert
I was trying to change a rear tire on my 95 Trans Am and one lug nut would not come loose. I had the lug wrench on and was stomping on it and jumping on it trying to get the nut to come loose.
Finally I jumped on it hard enough that it broke loose all of a sudden and I fell over and drove my chin into the rear quarter panel. I managed to avoid knocking myself out, or breaking anything. But I left a nice chin-sized dent in the car.
I never got it fixed. It was my constant reminder to not be stupid..
Walkure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 02:49 PM   #11
Jsreo

Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
Had the in-laws visit when I lived in FL. Father in law was being helpful and organized my garage including moving partially used paint cans onto wire shelving mounted in garage wall.

A few weeks after they left I was watching TV with my wife and heard a loud crash coming from the garage.

The paint was too heavy for the shelving which collapsed and several paint cans crashed onto the hood of my Jeep and burst open.

Entire front of the jeep was covered in paint, which fortunately was water based and washed off, but the cans did leave a dent in my hood
Jsreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 03:13 PM   #12
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekd View Post
This is my worst story and one I will never forget. Pretty long but worth the read.

Years ago had a trans am, rear end was recently built up and the way the posi clutches were done was pretty close to a full locker.

This was back when I was young and poor so I drove my cars year round here in New England. This day there was a light covering of snow on the roads, the kind of stuff where everyone into cars thinks they are a drifter.

Anyway, had some friends following me in their own car, got on a road that was 2 lane dead straight so I couldn't resist, was wide open in 1-3 gears completely sideways, like taking up both lanes sideways. Went over a manhole cover that due to the heat running through the pipes below wasn't frozen. One wheel on dry, one on snow = uncontrollable spin. Guys behind me said at one point there was only one tire touching the ground while still in the air spinning and that one was lifting too.

Car was close to the curb and just about to roll over (t-top car so not much protection there) when I hit some guys mailbox who (fortunately) believed in total overkill and used a solid piece of I beam as a mailbox post. Hit it, car stopped spinning instantly and was back on the ground.

Only damage to the car was a fender (where it met the I beam) and front splitter tore off. I consider myself damn lucky that mailbox was there. Later that day I knocked on his door and thanked him for his choice of post and offered to pay for a new box. He had already picked it up and bolted it back on and said everything was fine.
I would say you got VERY lucky
Old 12-30-2020, 03:14 PM   #13
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
I worked at a tire changing shop in high school, my best friend was the manager, i was loading a car on a drive on lift (BMW to be exact) and drove it completely off the lift onto its nose......
Do you remember the model or anything? I know some people see BMW as ~~~BMW~~~, but there's quite a difference between a decade old 3 series and say a late model M3.lol
Old 12-30-2020, 03:16 PM   #14
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mano_camaro View Post
on my previous camaro 2018 SS, i was trying to do touchless wash and dry on my driveway, while using an air hose from my compressor, on the drivers side door, i got too close with the air hose attachment tip (water was grabby with the panel) and ended up touching the door with the hose tip while in an up & down motion causing a 5 inch long nice deep scratch.

Not as terrible as others like the toilet but still sucks causing "love marks" when trying to prevent them in the first place.
That would not make for a happy day. Reminds me, I'm pretty sure that I've bumped mine a few times with the leaf blower while drying it .