Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-16-2016, 08:59 AM   #1
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Electronic Limited Slip Differential (eLSD) on '16 SS

Has anyone looked into what it would take to get a eLSD to function properly on the '16 SS?

I'd certainly be a buyer for an eLSD upgrade, but I doubt GM will offer it as performance accessory. Obviously, it is possible to buy an eLSD, BCM, new axles, etc. in the form of replacement parts, but I'm wondering exactly which parts would need replaced to get it all to work properly.
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:32 AM   #2
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Only on the ZL1 and 1LE can you get it. It has to be integral to the BCM so I doubt you can retro fit it.
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:59 AM   #3
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
Only on the ZL1 and 1LE can you get it. It has to be integral to the BCM so I doubt you can retro fit it.
That was my initial thought, but I'm wondering if anyone has actually traced wiring diagrams, etc.. For example, maybe the 1LE BCM will still work on the SS.

It's hard to know for sure until someone tries it (or at least finds a specific reason why it won't work). When I did the LT4 engine swap I actually ran it for a day or two with a Z06 OS and tune. Things were a little flaky, e.g., it showed 7th gear when in reverse, but it did work and ran quite well.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:05 AM   #4
RuthleSSchevy

Drives: 2016Camaro+1968Chevelle+1954BelAir
As a gen6 ss owner why wouldent you just buy the zl1? Sorry for probally not being the first to ask you this. But with the lt4 swap and now elsd want what is the reason. I may have missed something. Please explain, i will be trading up to the zl1 next year. Respect for the undertaking tho
Old 12-16-2016, 10:22 AM   #5
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthleSSchevy View Post
As a gen6 ss owner why wouldent you just buy the zl1? Sorry for probally not being the first to ask you this. But with the lt4 swap and now elsd want what is the reason. I may have missed something. Please explain, i will be trading up to the zl1 next year. Respect for the undertaking tho
It's a fair question. I think if the ZL1 were available in August, I probably would have simply bought one. By swapping the engine myself, I was able to enjoy the LT4 months before the first ZL1s shipped. Also, I have leather interior which I much prefer over the microfiber suede.

My SS currently has about 70-80 more HP and about 100 more ft lbs than a ZL1 so I'd hate to part with that, but I may still buy a ZL1 next year, especially if the A10 lives up to the hype (my SS is the manual).

In some ways, I think I just really enjoy working on these cars and learning what makes them tick.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:45 AM   #6
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
You will never get past the issue of the BCM. The BCM are programed to the VIN of the vehicle they are going into. You cant use a VIN from a 1LE car to program the BCM for your car as they are VIN tied to your VIN. GM will only send the calibration over that is on file for the VIN of your car.

Unless GM offers this as a dealer supported upgrade it is never going to happen. The 1LE BCM module and the SS BCM are the same part #, the calibration is flashed in at the dealer when the BCM is installed or replaced.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:57 AM   #7
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
does anybody know if the eDiff is the standard 8.6 like the SS or is it the typical 9.8" like the last ZL1?
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:15 PM   #8
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
You will never get past the issue of the BCM. The BCM are programed to the VIN of the vehicle they are going into. You cant use a VIN from a 1LE car to program the BCM for your car as they are VIN tied to your VIN. GM will only send the calibration over that is on file for the VIN of your car.

Unless GM offers this as a dealer supported upgrade it is never going to happen. The 1LE BCM module and the SS BCM are the same part #, the calibration is flashed in at the dealer when the BCM is installed or replaced.
I think I can get my hands on an SS 1LE BCM, and it looks like custom BCM programming was at least a possibility on the 5th Gen (http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/). I'm thinking if it were possible to simply swap the VIN on the 1LE BCM, that might get past this issue.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:48 PM   #9
RuthleSSchevy

Drives: 2016Camaro+1968Chevelle+1954BelAir
Stick with it, that will be a bad ass ride. And i agree the experience of driving a hot rod you built vs one you buy makes it that much more self rewarding. Best fo luck with it!
Old 12-17-2016, 07:16 AM   #10
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post

I should have mentioned that you may be 100% correct. I certainly understand this is a major hurdle. I just don't want to end the conversation there because I believe there is a chance that this problem can be resolved.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:23 PM   #11
travislambert

I've been looking over the eLSD wiring diagrams and it looks as if this might actually have a chance of working. The GM LAN connection is spliced between then Chassis Control Module and Suspension Control Module. And there is a shared signal wire (Serial Data Communication Enable) from the BCM that could be spliced in pretty much anywhere.

So in other words it appears the new Rear Differential Clutch Control Module uses existing outputs from the Chassis Control Module and Suspension Control Module via GMLAN.

Of course, there is still potential for software misalignments, but at first glance it still seems plausible.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:20 AM   #12
ChrisCoffey

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
I should have mentioned that you may be 100% correct. I certainly understand this is a major hurdle. I just don't want to end the conversation there because I believe there is a chance that this problem can be resolved.
Considering what Tim @EFI has done with E85 flex fuel after being told it couldn't work I believe anything is possible with these cars.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:58 PM   #13
63falcondude

Drives: 16 Camaro, 11 Stryker, 00 Explorer
Why wouldn't it be possible? If everything in the car (including the wiring) was switched out with ZL1 parts, the car should be able to have everything that the ZL1 has. Sure the cost would be outrageous but this is simply to say that it is possible.

Now obviously you don't want to swap EVERYTHING so you just have to figure out what has to be done to make it work and if the cost is worth it to you.

I'm sure is possible, it's all about how much you are willing to spend to make it happen. That and having the know-how or knowing someone who does.

1100 12/14/2015
3000 1/8/2016 (TPW 2/1)
3800 2/1/2016
5000 3/5/2016
63falcondude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 06:56 PM   #14
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
If you can get Chris White to program your BCM, then that will be the only way you will get this mod to work. Now with that, there is a cavet. It will work s long as you never let the dealer ever flash your BCM for any reason at all, if they ever do it will return your BCM to the on file calibration that GM has in their system for the options your vehicle has and that are tied to the VIN.

As I said earlier, this isn't a simple hard part issue. Any time you get into something that has calibration programming requirements then you are going to run into issues on the new cars.

For years the guys on the GM truck forums were just sure they could get the factory OEM trailer brake controller swapped over, 3 years down the road and you still cant get the OEM TBC in a truck that didn't come with one.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote