Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-15-2020, 11:44 AM   #1
greg0ry

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
NITTO NT555 G2 Vs CONTINENTAL EXTREME CONTACT SPORT

Anyone have experience with these and would like to share? I don't track, I drive spirited here and there on the road and I go on canyon runs once or twice a month. Obviously i'd like to get the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S but I would like to save some money. I'm looking for something that will treat me right on canyons and most importantly tread life. I want something that last a bit longer than most performance tires. The Nittos are a great price, the continentals seem to be the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s competitor... But ideally if the Nitto will do the job for what I am looking for.. i'll go get these suckers right now! Thank you
greg0ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:40 PM   #2
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
I can't compare Nitto to Conti directly.
I replaced my OEM GY supercars with NT555 G2. Here's what I see:
Above say 60 degrees, tires warm, Nittos lose probably 15-20% of the grip of the GYs.
40-60 degrees, tires warm, the Nittos start to equal out the GY's as you get closer to 40.
Below 40 degrees, Nittos grip better, without question, mostly because it gets hard to get enough heat in the GYs unless you drive like an idiot.

Below 30 degrees the GY's are hockey pucks, don't even try it.

Just my unscientific observation. Your mileage may vary.

I will say going from the runflat GYs to the Nittos was a great improvement in harshness of ride. I only have a few thousand miles on them so I can't speak to longevity, but anything has to be better than the GY's in that area.

If someone can compare Contis to GYs, it should tell you the rest of the story.
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:50 PM   #3
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
I've had 'em both, but not on the same car, so it's not really a direct comparison. LOTS of miles on the Conti's, and they directly outperformed the BFG GForce Sport, though the BFG was a good tire too. Extreme Contact was just better all around. Quieter, grip for days! No real wet weather comparo though, fyi. Not enough time in the rain. I love the Conti EC. Also can't speak to longevity as I don't DD the car.

I've got the Nitto 555 G2 on my SS now, and I've got nothing bad to say about 'em. I prefer the basic look of the Conti sidewall better, and just love the tire so I'd probably go back when the time comes, but that's not a knock on the Nitto. It's a good tire. The 555 runs a little skinny though. You could probably go a tad wider than normal, providing your sidewall math works out. I know on the thirdgens, lotsa guys were running 295's on a 9.5"x17" wheel. That's about the realistic limit for a 9.5" -but several guys ran 315 Nitto 555's and they physically matched the 295 of other brands.
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:54 PM   #4
streetyme

Drives: 2016 2SS nav mag ride npp a8
I have the Conti Extremecontact Sport so far very happy with the tire. I can not give to much input on cold weather , cause the car goes in storage in the winter months. The warmer months they do seem like they hook better than the stock GY Eagle Run Flats.
Weld Laguna 17x10 18x5

2006 mustang gt Magnuson Livernois stage 2 heads stage 2 blower cams dynatech headers 4.10's Circle D convertor 533/511bs) (9.8lbs)
streetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:40 PM   #5
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abubaca View Post
I've had 'em both, but not on the same car, so it's not really a direct comparison. LOTS of miles on the Conti's, and they directly outperformed the BFG GForce Sport, though the BFG was a good tire too. Extreme Contact was just better all around. Quieter, grip for days! No real wet weather comparo though, fyi. Not enough time in the rain. I love the Conti EC. Also can't speak to longevity as I don't DD the car.

I've got the Nitto 555 G2 on my SS now, and I've got nothing bad to say about 'em. I prefer the basic look of the Conti sidewall better, and just love the tire so I'd probably go back when the time comes, but that's not a knock on the Nitto. It's a good tire. The 555 runs a little skinny though. You could probably go a tad wider than normal, providing your sidewall math works out. I know on the thirdgens, lotsa guys were running 295's on a 9.5"x17" wheel. That's about the realistic limit for a 9.5" -but several guys ran 315 Nitto 555's and they physically matched the 295 of other brands.
Yes, I’m running 295 on the rear and 265 on the front on stock SS rims and they fit perfect. Virtually no sidewall bulge. They are just a bit more “squared off” than the GY.
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:40 AM   #6
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I know people that run Nittos on their Camaros, Mustangs and Challengers that really love them. I do know about the Continental Extreme Contact Sports tires though as I had a set put on my 2016 2SS about 6 months before I bought the ZL1 and they were good tires that I would stack up against the Michelin Super Sport tires anyday. I had the stock size on the front and 285/35 on the rear and they rode and handled exceptionally well! I’m really thinking about switching to them when I have to replace my GY F1s on my ZL1 but haven’t made up my mind yet.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:00 AM   #7
AlphaCamaro7

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, NPP, A8, FBO, E85
Michelin PS4's are better than both of them. don't waste your money. There's a reason why most super cars come stock with those tires.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:27 PM   #8
thehartfive

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS SILVER ICE METALLIC
Stock run flats are stiff ,went 555g2 in 285/30/20 & 305/30/20 on mrr’s for 1,200 miles on recommendation of friend with a gen 5. I thought they were noisy & less grip & little rough, tire shop bought them back as take offs. After researching between ps4 & cont. extreme contact sports, went with continental and love them. A friend went with the ps4 and they are pretty equal in ride comfort,grip and noise. All personal preference, but I’d go continental or ps4.
thehartfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 02:19 PM   #9
keystonemedical

Drives: 2019 ZL1 / LE , 2014 CTS V
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetyme View Post
I have the Conti Extremecontact Sport so far very happy with the tire. I can not give to much input on cold weather , cause the car goes in storage in the winter months. The warmer months they do seem like they hook better than the stock GY Eagle Run Flats.

Do the Extreme Contacts kick up alot of stones and gravel ?
keystonemedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:01 PM   #10
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
No more or so than any other performance tire out there!
Old 01-16-2020, 05:27 PM   #11
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
had my first set of Conti on my Porsche Panamera - sizes 255/295 on stock 20" wheels.

I am really impressed by them actually. I do think they compare well to the Pilot SS.
The TW is actually lower, so they may even be stickier. I haven't run a 4S yet but had several sets of the older Pilots forget what they were called.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:48 PM   #12
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
had the conti's, BFG Gforce on MB, BMW and now the 555 G2s on a lighter LTG Camaro.

Conti's seem to get noisy with wear, like loud. The BFRs were good all around in the summer on a Z4 acceptable white noise, shopped, but there was no direct size match for me. I now have the G2s on my Turbo2 Camaro and I am happy with them. They are very oily from the factory so peel out like you mean it after the first mount, lol. Quiet and purposeful grip in summer and fall. The profile puts the width factor at the outer diameter near the tread, so its not a mid bulge. drove them hard, no perceptible wear after first summer. they have high tread wear so they are harder. same take off traction as the narrower factory GYs on my old wheel set though. Happy enough.

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106

Last edited by wookwook; 01-16-2020 at 05:59 PM.
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:36 PM   #13
Azerlazer26

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaCamaro7 View Post
Michelin PS4's are better than both of them. don't waste your money. There's a reason why most super cars come stock with those tires.
Did the road noise get quieter after installing the PS4’s? I’m planning on picking up a set for my car in a couple months from now.
Azerlazer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:24 PM   #14
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
IMHO 555's (and likely 555 G2's) are about your best bang for the buck, DD street tire. They do nothing great, but they do everything well. Michelin and Continental are a little too proud of their products. I have always been happy with 555's on my DD'ers. You just need to understand that these are street tires that should give you 30K+ miles. They perform well, but they aren't DR's or R compound tires. They also manage rain and cold weather much better than your higher performance tires. Again they're good at everything, but excel at nothing.

If you just want to throw down big $ for PS4 or Conti's, or Bridgestones, etc then that's fine and I'm not saying don't buy them, but I'm personally not dropping the coin they command when Nitto 555 G2's are on the market for noticeably less money. I wish they made a Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 in a 305/30/20 and I would try them on my 1LE, but they don't. They make a 305/35/20, but that's a noticeably taller tire. Still I've heard good things about these tires for the $. If they are in the sizes you're needing you might look into them as well.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote