Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

AWE Tuning

Old 05-18-2019, 07:03 PM   #1
Cmax

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS FIFTY convertible
Leave top down?

Has anyone had any issues from just leaving the top down for weeks or months?
I only drive mine if there is no chance of rain, and it is garaged.....so I have had it down for a couple weeks.. last time I did it for a couple weeks it had a few wrinkles that flattened in a day or sooo but no big deal...
Anyone else?
Cmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:16 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Just not stored wet down....But with it down even in your garage, just ask yourself how much dust is getting on your interior… I’d keep it fully closed all the time. Interiors show age quickly and can be expensive to replace.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:45 PM   #3
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
I only drive mine when there's no rain and it's garaged otherwise. I keep the top up and windows closed. The hood gets dusty sitting there, why would I want the same for the interior?
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:47 PM   #4
Cmax

I’m shocked how dustfree the hood and trunk are for the most part.... I don’t mind washing it, but it really doesn’t gather much dust...
But the leather would probably age better if the top and windows were up.... but then you have to ask how expensive is power windows and power top to replace if I am using them all every time I drive it...
Old 05-19-2019, 08:19 AM   #5
Jerry's 2LT

Drives: 2LT, Blue Velvet, Kalahari, Convert
I put mine down 2 weeks ago and it probably won't go back up until October! I do this every year. There may be the odd day when I go somewhere and have to park for a short time on public streets or lots, then I put it up.

To keep the dust out of the interior I cover the car with a queen size bed sheet. I wash the sheet once a month or so. What dust that does get inside is wiped away with my regular interior detailing using Adams interior detailer. My interior looks like new. The few wrinkles in the top after months of being down are no more than what you get after having the top down for a full day.

I live in a very low humidity area and would never put the top down while it is wet, only totally dry and clean. Before putting the top down for a long period, I vacuum it.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:03 AM   #6
cgdelena

Drives: 2019 2SS
This is my first Camaro but my sixth convertible and the first I have seen with a recommendation to store with top up... any reason stated why? My past tops stayed down in the garage quite often, sometimes for weeks. I would like to continue but don't want to cause damage... comments?
cgdelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 12:12 PM   #7
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Personally I don't like wrinkles, so I keep the top up when garaged. I don't use a car cover. My 2017 manual has two mentions on this, only one of them says why and the reason given is to protect the interior from excessive weathering.

So if these are not concerns to you, then go for it.
Attached Images

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:43 PM   #8
MANNAXMAN

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmax View Post
I’m shocked how dustfree the hood and trunk are for the most part.... I don’t mind washing it, but it really doesn’t gather much dust...
But the leather would probably age better if the top and windows were up.... but then you have to ask how expensive is power windows and power top to replace if I am using them all every time I drive it...
My Camaro is my daily driver. It's always garaged and I always put the top up unless I'm running into a store really quick. When the weather is nice, the top and windows get cycled up & down at least three times a day during the week. No issues with the power top motor or power window motors in over 2½ years. On my two previous Camaros, which I owned for a combined 27 years, it cost $400-450 P&L to replace a power window motor. I think I had to replace the motors 3-4 times in 27 years. That's a lot cheaper than replacing an entire interior.
1961 Volkswagen Beetle with Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (2009-Present)
1964 Volkswagen Beetle with aftermarket Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (Sold)
Follow me on Instagram - @gen6_2ss_vert
MANNAXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:46 AM   #9
Cmax

Some of ya’ll made me feel like I was abusing my leather.... which i condition twice a year... I leave the top down in my garage.... I just conditioned the leather with a white micro fiber towel, and it was still white when I was done.... not saying it gets dusty, but after three years the leather almost looks better...
Old 05-25-2019, 11:08 AM   #10
Captain J

Drives: 2017 V6 RS Covertible
Just a few things I've seen in parking lots: Kids spitting in convertibles as they walk by, a guy tossed his cigarette in a convertible as he walked by, a guy put his kid in the drivers seat in a convertible as they were going by, AND I once saw a big ass bird shit in a convertible as it flew by...

Garage, driveway, parking lot whatever, if I'm not in the car, the top is up.
Captain J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:11 PM   #11
BigRed7181

Drives: 2016 2SS Glacier White Convertible
I don't understand why you wouldn't put it up if it is sitting for weeks? The manual says to store it up. Many of the top manufactures recommend to store them up to help prevent shrinking. Button too hard to push??
16 2SS SUMMIT WHITE / NPP / MRC / 6MT / CONVERTIBLE / TINT / SPLITTER / SPLASH GUARDS / WHITE KNEE PADS / WINDSCREEN / BLACK BOW TIES / HASH TAGS / DIODE DYNAMICS / GM SMOKED TAILS / MORIMOTO / ALPINE / HERTZ / BLENTMOUNT
BigRed7181 is offline   Reply With Quote