Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-20-2023, 07:34 PM   #1
7Merlin

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Convertible
What to do if there is paint/body damage when accepting new car

Hey all, I'm new to this. I went through the acceptance checklist post which is nice and comprehensive but I have no idea what to do with it.

What is the procedure if I see some paint/body/wheel/convertible top damage on the car when accepting. These could be from the manufacturer, during transportation or while it was in dealership.

Should I not accept the car? Should we document these things with the dealer and get them fixed? Are these covered by the warranty?
7Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 08:15 PM   #2
GenericID10T

Drives: 2023 Camaro 2SS/2020 RAM 1500 Rebel
It would depend on the extent of the damage, and your comfort level of accepting/buying a new vehicle that has needed work done on it. I would make sure it is fixed satisfactorily before going through with the purchase so you can ensure the issue is resolved to a level you are comfortable with. Depending on the extent/type of damage, you may also want to negotiate a lower price (especially if it is serious enough to impact value - for example, was it a part that was easily replaced and has no long term impact - or did damage to a door need to be repaired and repainted?) or see if you can negotiate some add-ons/accessories to compensate for your time and inconvenience. Some damage can happen during transport, and generally if it is below a certain percentage value of the car, it will be repaired before the vehicle is made available for delivery. If it is more serious/higher percentage, the dealership is supposed to make you aware of the repairs prior to purchase.
GenericID10T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 09:21 PM   #3
Kamero6

Drives: 6th Gen LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Merlin View Post
Hey all, I'm new to this. I went through the acceptance checklist post which is nice and comprehensive but I have no idea what to do with it.

What is the procedure if I see some paint/body/wheel/convertible top damage on the car when accepting. These could be from the manufacturer, during transportation or while it was in dealership.

Should I not accept the car? Should we document these things with the dealer and get them fixed? Are these covered by the warranty?
I'll tell you my experience. Brand new car. They chipped the door. They were going to make it "right". Several months later I'm still waiting the touchup paint. Had to go to a paint shop and get the color prepared, I fixed it myself...

Dealers are useless, just get the car and run away.
I anything major happens, get GM corporate involved, they need to fix it but they might break more stuff meanwhile. You can always refuseto buy it if it needs body work or paint. Or get a big big discount.
Kamero6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 06:38 AM   #4
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Something little I wouldn't derail the deal about and I wouldn't try to get a paint repair or similar for something minor at a dealer, but I would want let's say you need to take $50 off the cost and have it documented that there was X and Y wrong with it.

It should be "perfect" at delivery.
WhiteMale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 06:39 AM   #5
NovaSS4spdFan

Drives: 2024 2SS vert w/M6 & Dual Mode. Red
I'd be concerned that it'd appear someday on a Carfax report which, down the road, has the potential to bite you in the ass (-$$$$ ) should you decide to trade-in or sell to a buyer who has done his due diligence.
NovaSS4spdFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 07:58 AM   #6
Jc9767

Drives: 2022 Camaro 1SS 1LE
My wife noticed a paint drip on our new 1999 Buick Regal GS years ago. Dealer said their body shop would fix it for us. We took delivery and then we’re given a rental crappy small car while the fix was done. A few weeks after we picked up the Regal we get a bill from the car rental company.

Apparently the dealership was sold and they didn’t pay their bills. We had quite the run around trying to get reimbursed. Morale of the story, don’t sign anything or take delivery until the car meets your satisfaction.
Jc9767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 03:16 PM   #7
7Merlin

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Convertible
Thanks everyone!

I didn't find anything wrong on my car. Only when I got home I noticed that on side of the convertible top "door" the panel is not exactly aligned. But I don't think it's a big deal.

Is there a list somewhere of what's supposed to be "in the box" with the car? The dealer told me they can't find the floor mats . But then after I asked them to look for front licence plate braket (which I first refused by then asked to have it just in case) they actually found these things:
- front floor mats
- documents: manual, welcome guide, sisirus xml spam
- front licence plate braket
- tow hook
- small gas funnel

I also found rubber cup holder liners inside the center console.

Was there anything else supposed to be with the car?
7Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 04:15 PM   #8
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Merlin View Post
Thanks everyone!

I didn't find anything wrong on my car. Only when I got home I noticed that on side of the convertible top "door" the panel is not exactly aligned. But I don't think it's a big deal.

Is there a list somewhere of what's supposed to be "in the box" with the car? The dealer told me they can't find the floor mats . But then after I asked them to look for front licence plate braket (which I first refused by then asked to have it just in case) they actually found these things:
- front floor mats
- documents: manual, welcome guide, sisirus xml spam
- front licence plate braket
- tow hook
- small gas funnel

I also found rubber cup holder liners inside the center console.

Was there anything else supposed to be with the car?
That's it, you're good. The only other extras you could get on top of these are small track brake deflectors with an SS coupe and a tire inflator kit with an SS 1LE coupe, neither applicable to your car. Congratulations

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote