Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-03-2016, 05:09 PM   #1
FormerToyotaEnthusiast

Drives: 2016 2SS Silver w/B04 MRC A8 NPP
Did the clay bar damage my rally stripes?

Today is the 1st time I've ever used a clay bar, but since I've watched a YouTube video on how to properly clay bar a vehicle, I should be a pro

I started on the hood since that is where I'm seeing the most stubborn water spots (since this clay bar did nothing, I'm wondering now if they really are water spots...).
I fortunately only did the bottom half of the right rally stripe with the clay bar before I removed the lube with a microfiber towel. Now I'm seeing marks on the nylon that definitely weren't there before I started. They don't wipe away with a towel or soap and water, so I've halted the use of the clay bar until I can figure out if these marks can be removed/improved. The marks aren't extremely bad. They aren't 'jumping' out at you; but they are there at certain angles. In the picture they appear as ~1/8" scuff lines.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Maybe I just need to go over it again with the clay bar?(wouldn't it be horrible if I made things worse?!!) Maybe I chose the wrong 'duty' clay bar (I doubt the duty would matter although they do sell fine and heavy duty as well). Is this clay residue I'm seeing that needs something other than soap and water to remove? It doesn't appear to be scratches, but I'm not certain.

Since I'll most likely get these questions- the products I used was Chemical Guys Clay Luber and their 'Medium' clay bar, and the vehicle was cleaned before I tried doing this. I chose medium because the surface of the vehicle is surprisingly rough to the touch (surprised that it was so rough when I took delivery of the vehicle less than 3 months ago).

Hopefully others out there have experienced this and can share some knowledge on the subject. It is a bit concerning that there are no threads on here that state this problem...
Attached Images

FormerToyotaEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:23 PM   #2
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I would guess you used to much pressure and/or not enough lube. It could be clay residue, but that should come off with soapy water. I'd try to clay it again but with a lot of lube and very light pressure on a small test area of those streaks.
I've clay'ed my vinyl stripes but very carefully.
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:49 PM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
You can try and polish the stripe with Meguires 205, a good orbital, and slow speed. Soft foam pad. If you've never done this I would take it to a detailer and have him do it. stripes should not be polished or Clayed, unless you know what you're really doing.

This is why I like a FINE elastomeric sponge instead of clay. Consistency and more of a scratch safety margin than clay.....

If you want ultimate protection for stripes, si02 coating is excellent

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...hlight=Stripes

Last edited by Glen e; 12-03-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:45 PM   #4
FormerToyotaEnthusiast

Appreciate the responses guys

Before I clay barred(sp?) the stripe, I read a lot of different comments in different forums like this; one of which was the stingray forum, where numerous people used clay on their vinyl and had zero issues; which is why I decided to clay bar my stripe.

Now that I've dug a little deeper, it appears that I MIGHT have been alright if I had went with Chemical Guys 'fine' or 'super fine' clay bar according to the screenshot below (that happens to describe the issue I'm seeing fairly perfectly i.e. "marring or scuffing").

So it looks like from here I'm going to attempt Glen's fix and if that doesn't work I'll have to look into replacement
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2016, 07:15 PM   #5
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
If it were I, I would use a light hand polish. Just keep in mind it may make them shine a little, not sure if that matters to you or not.

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exteri...ar-polish.html
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:50 PM   #6
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Clay is an abrasive. Put the medium clay away. Stick with the light clay bar or, preferably, a nanoskin clay sponge or pads on new vehicles. I clay half a dozen vehicles a month. I only use medium clay on vehicles at least 4 yrs old and park under trees, etc. I only use heavy clay on my own personal work truck that collects waste vegetable oil. Every other car gets light clay or the nanoskins.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:45 PM   #7
FormerToyotaEnthusiast

Fortunately I was able to hide the scuff marks by waxing the vinyl. I'll look into a polish next and set the medium clay aside for my 10yr old Tundra.
Thanks for all your help.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:46 PM   #8
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerToyotaEnthusiast View Post
Fortunately I was able to hide the scuff marks by waxing the vinyl. I'll look into a polish next and set the medium clay aside for my 10yr old Tundra.
Thanks for all your help.
Hey, glad to see that.

Tags
clay bar, cleaning, rally stripes