Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-07-2023, 11:17 AM   #15
NG329

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
I keep a club, and a brake pedal lock on mine. Also, it's manual. If they steal mine then they've earned it.
NG329 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 12:24 PM   #16
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin View Post
If you absolutely feel a car is irreplaceable, don't drive it to work, don't leave it in a parking garage or leave it unattended in public settings. Treat it like it's irreplaceable.
You totally don't get it... sure there are other cars but a new ZLE cannot be replaced with exactly what you had these days. Couple years ago... no problem.

Of course I'll sell mine to anyone that gets theirs stolen... everything has a price.
Old 05-07-2023, 12:42 PM   #17
ZLRob

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
There are several redundancies you can implement yourself if you feel the car is irreplaceable. At the end of the day any vehicle is replaceable and if the car is modified you may wind up being out your hard blood sweat and tears on it but it doesn't matter not if someone takes your life over it.

Park the car in clear view for you to see. Pay for parking in a protected lot or valet that has security. Use the electric brake (something which I practice on the norm anyway because I refuse to lose the parking pawl inside the transmission over simple laziness for not engaging it), and if possible, always park your vehicle inside of your garage. Once again if only possible, as I understand not everyone gets that luxury.

There is also always LoJack and other methods of tracing outside of OnStar which apparently is pretty useless when it comes to theft.

This being said, however, nothing will ever beat a tow truck and/ or a gun being put up to your face to get the keys.
2017 Red Hot ZL1 A10 - Apex ARC-8's, 305/ 325 PS4's, DSX 9.06 12% Pulley, NGK HR7 Ruthenium spark plugs, Katech Oil Pump, LME tensioner, DOD delete, Cam, MPI lid, Soler ported 87mm (91mm effective) TB, Granatelli SS plug wires, Cordes LTR reservoir, DMS T-stat housing, Borla X pipe, AFe NPP exhaust, Black Widow Angry Housewife/ Venom 250 mufflers, BMR engine mounts, Banks iDash, Lithium Battery, Course Motorsports phone mount, AEM X- Series, HP Tuners, JMS, E85, 13.6 psi
737 HP/ 779 TQ

ZLRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 12:47 PM   #18
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLRob View Post
There are several redundancies you can implement yourself if you feel the car is irreplaceable. At the end of the day any vehicle is replaceable and if the car is modified you may wind up being out your hard blood sweat and tears on it but it doesn't matter not if someone takes your life over it.

Park the car in clear view for you to see. Pay for parking in a protected lot or valet that has security. Use the electric brake (something which I practice on the norm anyway because I refuse to lose the parking pawl inside the transmission over simple laziness for not engaging it), and if possible, always park your vehicle inside of your garage. Once again if only possible, as I understand not everyone gets that luxury.

There is also always LoJack and other methods of tracing outside of OnStar which apparently is pretty useless when it comes to theft.

This being said, however, nothing will ever beat a tow truck and/ or a gun being put up to your face to get the keys.
The car I posted was an Auto and had LoJack... Unfortunately you can't just barge into someone's garage to look for your car.

Name:  Shervin2.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  136.0 KB
Old 05-07-2023, 01:10 PM   #19
ZLRob

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
The car I posted was an Auto and had LoJack... Unfortunately you can't just barge into someone's garage to look for your car.

Attachment 1126500
If they want to break the law, and you have a guaranteed lock on your car then I have probable cause to open their garage with my crowbar.

No but on a serious note, dude, that is not cool at all.
2017 Red Hot ZL1 A10 - Apex ARC-8's, 305/ 325 PS4's, DSX 9.06 12% Pulley, NGK HR7 Ruthenium spark plugs, Katech Oil Pump, LME tensioner, DOD delete, Cam, MPI lid, Soler ported 87mm (91mm effective) TB, Granatelli SS plug wires, Cordes LTR reservoir, DMS T-stat housing, Borla X pipe, AFe NPP exhaust, Black Widow Angry Housewife/ Venom 250 mufflers, BMR engine mounts, Banks iDash, Lithium Battery, Course Motorsports phone mount, AEM X- Series, HP Tuners, JMS, E85, 13.6 psi
737 HP/ 779 TQ

ZLRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 01:49 PM   #20
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLRob View Post

Obviously you would think those would deter thieves but there are still a few that will still take the risk and get your car.

1 I mentioned was taken in broad daylight, in a work parking lot, in clear view of people.

3 were in parking garages and 1 had an SUV break the barrier (the horizontal bar) so they could leave.

Just keep your insurance up to par, get camera's, park in a place that has camera's, get lojack (or similar) that cannot be bypassed or use Apple air tags and use the door lock function on the car, not the key fob.

But even then, there is still a chance for all that to fail and the vehicle will be gone forever but can be replaced by something else.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 01:50 PM   #21
dbs1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I would lose no sleep over a thieve who took the asphalt challenge from stealing someone’s car. None.
dbs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 06:31 AM   #22
XXX ZL1

Drives: 2023 ZL1 M6
My 19 was stolen off the lot after I traded it in. They are cloning the key fobs and driving them off. I spoke in depth with local law enforcement that have been working on the thefts.
High PSI Billet Valve Covers, Mighty Mouse Wild CC

Signature Forged 20x10.5/20x11.5, 295/30-315/30,
BMR springs, BMR Cradle lockout, AAD Billet
Control/Trailing arms

2023 Vivid Orange ZL1 M6 - sold
2019 Riverside Blue ZL1 A10 - sold
XXX ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 06:38 AM   #23
302crossram

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin 2SS
Faraday bag
302crossram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 07:36 AM   #24
cvp33
America FVCK Yeah!

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
Fact I believe we can agree on:

1) ZLE’s are fairly rare cars so coveted by thieves and owners alike.
2) Replacement cost and reality may be an issue with your insurance company. Likely you’ll get an unrealistic initial offer that you’ll need to ‘negotiate’ up to reality.
3) No one bought the car to be stolen, and clearly there are steps you can take to overcome a common thief, but likely nothing you can do against someone who really wants your specific car.
2005 CTS-V SOLD
2006 300C SRT-8 SOLD
2006 300C SRT-8 SOLD
2010 CTS-V SOLD
2012 CTS-V coupe SOLD
2013 ZL1 vert SOLD
2016 Callaway Z06 SOLD
2019 Z06 SOLD

"I lived my life by one motto.......mottos are for losers" cvp33
cvp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 12:29 PM   #25
Eric10905
Geezer_loves_Camaros

Drives: 2018 2SS, Black, A8
Gosh, sure hate reading about this stuff. Damn thieving vultures. MLee, was it YOUR ZLE that was taken? Regrets...

OP and others, appreciate the heads up. Guess I need to get an apple tag or lojack for my SS. But wonder these days if the police will do anything with the info..... but that's different non-car discussion.
Eric10905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 03:43 PM   #26
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
This brand new one was just stolen in Houston.. just had the entire car covered in Xpel PPF too.

Attachment 1126482
Such a badass car. Sad to see this sh t happen. Hoping for the best outcome for the owners.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 05:29 AM   #27
LancevanceZLE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Were any of the stolen ones manual cars?

Replacing it is not the issue, there are plenty of used ZLE for sale still. However, it's likely that insurance will pay you $10k-$15k less than the replacement cost. I've just had a look, and a comparable 2019 manual ZLE in my state is between $70k-$78k (+10% tax), while insurance will probably pay the trade in value of $60k, leaving a $15k+ gap.
LancevanceZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 12:49 PM   #28
Camfab

Drives: ‘23 ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancevanceZLE View Post
Were any of the stolen ones manual cars?

Replacing it is not the issue, there are plenty of used ZLE for sale still. However, it's likely that insurance will pay you $10k-$15k less than the replacement cost. I've just had a look, and a comparable 2019 manual ZLE in my state is between $70k-$78k (+10% tax), while insurance will probably pay the trade in value of $60k, leaving a $15k+ gap.
If you don’t daily drive your car, consider collector car insurance with an agreed value policy. It’s not for everyone, but yet one more option for some owners.
Camfab is offline   Reply With Quote