Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-16-2020, 06:34 PM   #1
STYLO LT1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Vert.
Wrong oil filter installed

Amazon sent me the wrong oil filter and like an idiot I changed my oil and installed the wrong filter. They sent me the Wix 57060 instead of the Wix 10290. I plan on changing the filter to the right one, but how much oil should I expect to come out of the oil filter without draining the oil pan? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
STYLO LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:48 PM   #2
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
I would think that if you let the car sit for a while before removing the filter most of the oil will have gone to the oil pan. My guess is that you wouldn't lose much. Just what's in the filter plus a little more maybe. Just fill the new filter with oil like you normally would before putting it back. Then check the dipstick. I would imaging you would lose less than a quart. But, I've never actually done that. Hopefully someone here has and can give you first hand information on what to actually expect.
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:19 PM   #3
STYLO LT1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caSStro18 View Post
I would think that if you let the car sit for a while before removing the filter most of the oil will have gone to the oil pan. My guess is that you wouldn't lose much. Just what's in the filter plus a little more maybe. Just fill the new filter with oil like you normally would before putting it back. Then check the dipstick. I would imaging you would lose less than a quart. But, I've never actually done that. Hopefully someone here has and can give you first hand information on what to actually expect.
Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. Hopefully not to much. Thanks for the input.
STYLO LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:03 PM   #4
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
I woud swap that ASAP. some wrong filters can cause damage, some really don't matter.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:31 PM   #5
DIYguy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Ditto the above.

Be sure to pre-fill the new filter to the top before removing the old one to save time.
Expect to lose up to about a quart, but if you swap them out fast it should be minimal.

Not the end of the world usually, but yes an incorrect filter is typically not advisable.