Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 06-22-2018, 09:54 AM   #1
Krowser

Drives: ZL1 Mosaic Black
Angry "Service Rear Axel" Error

All right…this is a PSA about my problem and resolution with my “service rear axel” error message.
This past Sunday, my ZL1 M6 was starting very slowly with an intermittent hesitation.

I got the dreaded “service rear axel” error message and a check engine light. For example, the starter would do this, “rack………rur….rur…rur” very slowly before the car lazily turned over .

When driving the car, it performed as expected, but the starter seemed to be dying on the vine; I suspected it may be a dying battery at first.

Since it was Sunday, the dealership’s service department was not open so I decided to change the battery myself.

FYI, the ZL1 Battery costs $200+ at your local auto parts store annnnnnd they ‘aint installing it!!

So, I went to my buddy’s shop Ridin’ Clean Garage in Miramar, FL and changed the battery.

Things I learned when removing/installing the ZL1’s battery:

1. ZL1 battery requires 950 cranking amps!!!

2. The back plastic panel with four black bolts is held onto the frame with 2 blue clips at the top of the panel. To remove the plastic panel, carefully take off the panel. When reinstalling, remove the blue tabs from the frame and place onto the plastic panel, press into place on the frame before bolting back in.

3. The bracket holding the battery is easy to remove, to reinstall however, bolt the leg closest to the passenger rear tail light first.

4. The ZL1’s battery is a bit unusual because the positive post has a fuse box with two large wires coming out of it. Carefully remove the cover by prying it straight off, don’t use the side tabs because you will brake them.

After I installed the new battery, the car started very lazily again; I started to think the starter was out.

I took the car for a 10min drive, turned off the car and tried to start it again and it did not turn over, my buddy had to give me a jump; even with the jump, the car started very lazily.

Soooo…Monday had the car towed to the dealer. The dealer, Autonation Pines Chevrolet, diagnosed that the starter was burned and had to be replaced. On Tuesday, the tech was taking it for a test drive and the car died on the road; the ZL1 had to be towed back to the dealership. More diagnosis and the fuse inside the positive post had blown along with a relay.
So, the dealership replaced the fuse, relay, battery fuse box, and starter. Problem Solved…car performs like a monster.

Symptoms: car is slow to start if at all, “service rear axel” error message, check engine light flashes, steady check engine light, tach and speedo needles don’t sweep at start and stay still.

Problem: burned starter was drawing on the battery causing heavy electrical load, blown fuse and burned relay resulted over time, battery was not taking full charge

Solution: replace battery, fuse box, fuse, relay, starter: note – you may replace wires as well.
Special shout out to Jeff at Autonation Pines!!
Krowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:25 PM   #2
redone000

Drives: 2017 ZL1, Arctic Blue, A10
Good to know, thanks.
redone000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:34 PM   #3
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
How many miles?
Old 06-23-2018, 07:19 PM   #4
Krowser

Drives: ZL1 Mosaic Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
How many miles?
The car has 7550 miles; however, the motor was replaced at 2070.
Krowser is offline   Reply With Quote