Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 06-22-2018, 01:56 AM   #1
Frankie18SS

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS, 07 Saturn Ion
Parking Brake Release

I know there was a thread about this a couple years ago but the cars were all new then so I thought it would be interesting to see if there is anyone here that has considerable mileage on your car and has noticed excessive (or lack of) wear on the parking brake pads and insides of the rotors? I'm having nightmares about eventually having to change my rotors and being unable to get them off the car because I don't hit the button.

How many people manually release the parking brake and how many people just go?
Old 06-22-2018, 02:18 AM   #2
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
I always release it. why wouldnt you? Its not meant to just go. The auto release is just for incase you forget to release it.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:53 AM   #3
DanSnow

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT 2.0T
Always release it.. Why wouldn't you?

I didn't even know it auto disengages it as a fallback. Wouldn't really want to test it.
DanSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:51 AM   #4
parbreak

Drives: 2017 50th Camaro SS
I always manually release mine. By the way, I was changing rotors the other day and forgot about releasing the parking brake and those rotors would not budge. I'm sitting there pound on them with a mallet to try to loosen them up and finally dawned on me that the parking brake was on.
50th Anniversary Edition |Borla Atak and 60606 mid pipes| Kooks 1 7/8" | ProCharger Stage II |305/45/17 DRs | Circle D 3500 stall | LT4 fueling | Custom made Lowside Aux Pump | Alky Control Meth | DSX E85
parbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:35 PM   #5
Frankie18SS

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS, 07 Saturn Ion
Quote:
Originally Posted by parbreak View Post
I always manually release mine. By the way, I was changing rotors the other day and forgot about releasing the parking brake and those rotors would not budge. I'm sitting there pound on them with a mallet to try to loosen them up and finally dawned on me that the parking brake was on.
Lol! I could totally see myself doing that.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:43 PM   #6
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
I always release it. why wouldnt you? Its not meant to just go. The auto release is just for incase you forget to release it.
Isn't the parking brake what the Hill Start Assist uses to do its thing? Not saying you shouldn't release it every time, but if it's used for HSA it's probably designed for more abuse than normal parking brakes - or at least you'd hope so.
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:17 PM   #7
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
good question. i dont know which the hill assist uses.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is online now   Reply With Quote