Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-29-2018, 04:55 PM   #1
sstormtrooper

Drives: Camaro 2SS
DIY Body Kit Painting Help

Hey Camaro6 fam,

I finally pulled the trigger on a 5-piece poly urethane body kit set from Street Scenes. I've been hesitant to get them professionally painted cause it's going to be expensive and cause I hear that it'll chip from road debris pretty quickly so I want to try to do it myself but still have it look decently nice.

Has anyone had any experience with rattle canning it themselves? Any advice would be helpful. My plan so far was just to clean it off, and hit it with a primer + base combo rattle can in satin black then maybe finish it off with a couple layers of clear coat maybe. Do I need to mask off the double sided tape parts or can I just paint over everything?

Another option I was considering was vinyl wrapping them but I wasn't sure how good that would hold up either but I imagine it would hold up better than paint in the short term.

Thanks in advance!
sstormtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:39 AM   #2
Dubchitts

Drives: '17 Red hot 2ss, 16 Focus RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstormtrooper View Post
Hey Camaro6 fam,

I finally pulled the trigger on a 5-piece poly urethane body kit set from Street Scenes. I've been hesitant to get them professionally painted cause it's going to be expensive and cause I hear that it'll chip from road debris pretty quickly so I want to try to do it myself but still have it look decently nice.

Has anyone had any experience with rattle canning it themselves? Any advice would be helpful. My plan so far was just to clean it off, and hit it with a primer + base combo rattle can in satin black then maybe finish it off with a couple layers of clear coat maybe. Do I need to mask off the double sided tape parts or can I just paint over everything?

Another option I was considering was vinyl wrapping them but I wasn't sure how good that would hold up either but I imagine it would hold up better than paint in the short term.

Thanks in advance!
I rattle canned my splitter by them for the same reason...bug/rock chips. Mine came out perfect and still looks very good a year later. Prepare to do some sanding. There's just some spots that didn't want to take the primer. A little work and they will look good. Just don't expect to wipe them down and paint

Afe Air Filter//BMR MM010 Motor Mounts, Safety Loop//Custom OTR Intake//Flex Fuel Kit//Gforce 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft//GM 95mm TB//Katech Oil Pump, Piston Squirters//Kooks 1-7/8 LT//LT4 Fueling//Mighty Mouse Wild//Monster Clutch LT1-S Triple Disc//MSD 2-Step//Pray Performance Custom Spec Cam, Ported Holley Hi-Ram//Sikky 12" Shifter w OEM Knob Mod//Tick Level 1 Tr6060//Labor by Me//Tune By Pray Performance
Dubchitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:33 PM   #3
sstormtrooper

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubchitts View Post
I rattle canned my splitter by them for the same reason...bug/rock chips. Mine came out perfect and still looks very good a year later. Prepare to do some sanding. There's just some spots that didn't want to take the primer. A little work and they will look good. Just don't expect to wipe them down and paint
I was going to use a rattle can that was primer+base color but can change it up. Do you think the best would be using 1000 grit wet sand across everything then putting down some primer and base? If you wouldn't mind letting me know what you used or would recommend. I'd really appreciate it.
sstormtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:40 PM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Talk to the guys at automotivetouchup.com ....their tech guys are really good and when you describe your situation, they'll tell you exactly what to do .....also, Their rattle can paints they mix for you are excellent. I use them for everything.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:49 PM   #5
Dubchitts

Drives: '17 Red hot 2ss, 16 Focus RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstormtrooper View Post
I was going to use a rattle can that was primer+base color but can change it up. Do you think the best would be using 1000 grit wet sand across everything then putting down some primer and base? If you wouldn't mind letting me know what you used or would recommend. I'd really appreciate it.
I can't remember what I used Exactly but I think it was heavier than 1000. I think I did something in the 200s, then primed.(dry sanding) Then a finer grit on the primer. Then use a wet sand on your paint if you have to.
As far as paint I think I just used duplicolor.

Afe Air Filter//BMR MM010 Motor Mounts, Safety Loop//Custom OTR Intake//Flex Fuel Kit//Gforce 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft//GM 95mm TB//Katech Oil Pump, Piston Squirters//Kooks 1-7/8 LT//LT4 Fueling//Mighty Mouse Wild//Monster Clutch LT1-S Triple Disc//MSD 2-Step//Pray Performance Custom Spec Cam, Ported Holley Hi-Ram//Sikky 12" Shifter w OEM Knob Mod//Tick Level 1 Tr6060//Labor by Me//Tune By Pray Performance
Dubchitts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, paint, splitter, street scene