Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-03-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
HOZAY
The Eponymous Jose

Drives: A V6. Yes. A LLT.
Proper Touch-Up Paint Technique?

Well, after 6 weeks, it's finally happened. Big ol paint chip inthe front fascia, next to a medium-sized one. Well, relatively big, I'd say about 2-3mm in diameter, exposing the black underneath. The paint hasn't completely chipped away, either, it's been..."shoved" to the side, so the surface around the chip is rough, not smooth.

Now, I've had the touch-up paint since I purchased the car just for this situation. How do I go about repairing this?

Last edited by HOZAY; 06-03-2010 at 10:21 AM.
HOZAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:25 AM   #2
HOZAY
The Eponymous Jose

Nobody knows? I'm going to remove the excess "shoved" paint, clean it up, touch up paint it, wet sand it down, do multiple layers over a few days, then polish it. That's my plan of attack.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
RedJewelSS

Drives: six in a row makes it go
try asking a body shop or your dealer
1989 F-150 4x4/300 I6/M5ODR2
1982 mustang. 351W/414stroker C4 9" rear. bracket racer
1977 F-100 5.9L 12V Cummins conversion/NV5600
RedJewelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:55 AM   #4
TXGooch21

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS
I had a little chip on the end of my passenger side door and here are the simple steps that I took.
1.) Dry the area needed to be painted
2.) Use the brush end with a minimal amount of paint on the tip.
3.) Lightly brush the area and let dry for a couple of hours then apply 2 more layers

It turned out great and I can't even tell that there was "ding" on the edge of the door.

Let me know how it turns out, I have a small rock chip on the top of my hood that I am going to paint tonight with the same process as the door ding.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
1bad65
Banned

Drives: 2007 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGooch21 View Post
I had a little chip on the end of my passenger side door and here are the simple steps that I took.
1.) Dry the area needed to be painted
2.) Use the brush end with a minimal amount of paint on the tip.
3.) Lightly brush the area and let dry for a couple of hours then apply 2 more layers
This is how I've done it on my car and it turned out good. And mine is a 2007, so I've done it a few times.
1bad65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
HOZAY
The Eponymous Jose

Well, it's no longer black.

But now it's bubbly and not smooth whatsoever.

Screw it, body shop time.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Yeesh... Only 6 weeks in? GM, step up the paint game guys! This is bad...

Usually touch-ups end up looking like irregularities in paint anyway, and not much better than the actual chip, (if not worse) especially in obvious places. If it's along the bottom edge of the bumper or something, then maybe. Otherwise, I'd stay away from touch-up paint.

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:14 PM   #8
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
Use the search button....There are several threads and a good product that was posted on here that works well for paint chips.

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:37 PM   #9
Sully

Drives: Orange 2SS/RS LS3
call your dealer...
mine has a guy come once a week with a truck with every paint you can think of and sets up shops in the back parking lot... he touches up their used cars and such... they sent me back there, took him 2 minutes, didnt charge me a thing, threw him 40 bucks though since he was so nice about it and gave me some paint care tips... also saved me a thousand bucks and told me that the V3000 (?) paint protection thing was a waste and that i should just wax it myself.

check with your dealer and see if they have some one like this.
Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:07 PM   #10
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
I actually found I was a lot better with the paint pens.

It has been suggested also to use toothpicks instead of the paint brush, and depending on the chip, that works.

I usually wait about 10 minutes before each coat. I also found that if you have a gray/silver color, I did better without adding the clearcoat. In fact I don't add the clearcoat on my RJT either. The clear will often darken that spot.
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #11
TXGooch21

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS
I haven't used a clearcoat on any dings and they have turned out great....roommates couldn't even tell where the dings were after looking over my car thoroughly.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #12
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Search on the forum, as well as read/order here: http://www.langka.com/

works very well...eliminates those blobs from touch up paints.

Used it this past weekend and results were fairly good.
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:41 PM   #13
HOZAY
The Eponymous Jose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully View Post
call your dealer...
mine has a guy come once a week with a truck with every paint you can think of and sets up shops in the back parking lot... he touches up their used cars and such... they sent me back there, took him 2 minutes, didnt charge me a thing, threw him 40 bucks though since he was so nice about it and gave me some paint care tips... also saved me a thousand bucks and told me that the V3000 (?) paint protection thing was a waste and that i should just wax it myself.

check with your dealer and see if they have some one like this.
Just did. He might have a buddy who can help me out, so I'm passing by tomorrow. Then getting a clear bra installed for the front fascia. Shame that I'm being reactive instead of proactive.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:53 PM   #14
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
The doll up guys at the shop I work at wash the car, dry it, then wax the car, paying close attention to where the chips are. They state that the wax helps the paint bond better to the metal? I am not sure what the truth to that is, but the cars they do look quite good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote