Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-08-2021, 09:54 PM   #1
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
Brake fluid

So im about to replace my stick brake fluid for some Dot 4. I've been reading alot and I'm between a couple of fluids. What are guys using and why.

- Brembo HTC 64T
- ATE Super Blue/Type 200
- Motul RB 600
- Motul RB 660
- Castrol SRF

I'm leaning towards the Brembo HTC 64T as I've read good things but I'm worried why does it say not for street use and also don't use if yiu have magnesium parts. Also they never post specs but I believe they are the only fluid used by F1.

- As for the Motul read it needs to be changed very frequently snice it absorbs moisture quickly.

- ATE read great things but also read only good for street.

- Castrol SRF read great things but also it's over rated for the price.

I'm open to suggestions
20Bluezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:14 PM   #2
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
You left out the most important info...

what are you doing with your car? How often do you plan on changing the fluid?

If you track, then SRF is top, followed by Motul 660. Both have 'higher' change intervals due to their tendency to absorb moisture.

For a street car that sees some canyon/mountain/curvy roads, I would go with Motul 600 and a yearly change.

All of those fluids you listed with have significant reduction in their dry boiling points after a year (varies with climate).

IMHO - I haven't run anything but SRF for the last 6 years. SRF's wet boil is higher than ATE's dry boil. I bleed after every track day and flush once a year.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:16 AM   #3
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Bluezl1 View Post
So im about to replace my stick brake fluid for some Dot 4. I've been reading alot and I'm between a couple of fluids. What are guys using and why.

- Brembo HTC 64T
- Motul RB 600
- Motul RB 660
- Castrol SRF

I'm leaning towards the Brembo HTC 64T as I've read good things but I'm worried why does it say not for street use and also don't use if yiu have magnesium parts. Also they never post specs but I believe they are the only fluid used by F1.

- As for the Motul read it needs to be changed very frequently snice it absorbs moisture quickly.

I'm open to suggestions
The Brembo fluid says that about magnesium because it has a corrosive effect on that material outside DOT/SAE standards.

The Endless fluid is also used in F1.

Castrol SRF, Endless RF-650 and Ferodo Super Formula - cant go wrong with those for a racing fluid applicable to modern track cars. The Brembo fluid is good, but I wouldn’t use it unless I knew what was possibly magnesium in the brake system; however there are options just as good without the worry. Next up I’d say AP R3, Motul 600/660, StopTech 600/660 and Redline RL-600.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 05:20 AM   #4
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
Quote:

- Brembo HTC 64T
- Motul RB 600
- Motul RB 660
- Castrol SRF

I'm open to suggestions
Last year I used motul 660. which I did not like. lots of soft pedal action. ( This could have been my fault with bleeding and or over braking)

This year I plan on trying the Brembo HTC fluid. I mean F1 uses it so

I'm not sold yet on the SRF at that price point.

Edit: Pretty much all the fluids you listed will need to be changed out more frequent due to absorbing more moisture. I would say if your not tracking your car you shouldn't need the fluid.

Last edited by That1guy_tim; 03-09-2021 at 05:22 AM. Reason: added info.
That1guy_tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:44 AM   #5
20Bluezl1

Sorry I did forget to mention my application. I will be track about 6 times a year and lots of hard curvy backroads. I don't daily my car.

I was looking for a fluid that I wouldn't have to replace that often. Bleed the system I guess is not a big issue but replacement of the entire fluid is more of a hassle.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:06 AM   #6
20Bluezl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by That1guy_tim View Post
Last year I used motul 660. which I did not like. lots of soft pedal action. ( This could have been my fault with bleeding and or over braking)

Edit: Pretty much all the fluids you listed will need to be changed out more frequent due to absorbing more moisture. I would say if your not tracking your car you shouldn't need the fluid.
I have read that about the Motul fluid its a 50 50 that guys like it or hate it.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:22 AM   #7
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by That1guy_tim View Post

The Brembo fluid is almost the same price as SRF. SRF comes in 1L jugs and most others including the HTC64 come in 0.5L jugs.
Also SRF doesn't need frequent changes that's the beauty of it's high wet boiling point.

Quote:
Sorry I did forget to mention my application. I will be track about 6 times a year and lots of hard curvy backroads. I don't daily my car.

I was looking for a fluid that I wouldn't have to replace that often. Bleed the system I guess is not a big issue but replacement of the entire fluid is more of a hassle.
Put in SRF, most guys that use it only bleed once a year and not after every track event. I use it and bleed every couple events just for peace of mind. I was going to switch to the Brembo this year in my new car, but I can't trust it as much as I do the SRF so I'm sticking with SRF.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:47 AM   #8
20Bluezl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
The Brembo fluid is almost the same price as SRF. SRF comes in 1L jugs and most others including the HTC64 come in 0.5L jugs.
Also SRF doesn't need frequent changes that's the beauty of it's high wet boiling point.

Put in SRF, most guys that use it only bleed once a year and not after every track event. I use it and bleed every couple events just for peace of mind. I was going to switch to the Brembo this year in my new car, but I can't trust it as much as I do the SRF so I'm sticking with SRF.

Yep so I just realized that SRF is 1L and all the rest or 500ML so the price difference is not to much.

How many 1L SRF should I get to flush the old Dot 3 out?
Old 03-09-2021, 09:23 AM   #9
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:

Sounds like you want SRF.

Honestly, yes, there is a lot of hyper with SRF, but it is an awesome fluid... Where it shines above the rest is really in that it needs less frequent bleeding and will last a lot longer in the brake system.

I've tried both Motuls (600 and 660), StopTech 600, Castrol SRF and Ferodo Super Formula in my Camaro over the past years and in other cars. I can confidently say that I did notice that SRF does not require as frequent bleeding and keeps a consistent pedal feel throughout the duration of laps and over an entire season.

Quote:
I have read that about the Motul fluid its a 50 50 that guys like it or hate it.
Yes, unfortunately, I will agree that Motul 600 and even 660 gave me an inconsistent pedal. I have used Motul in many other cars on track, and it does just fine in cars where the brakes aren't as taxed as the front brakes on the SS 1LE (i.e. lighter cars, cars with a little better brake ducting or cars with a bit more thermal-mass to their brake system). The front brakes on the SS 1LE seem to be sized just perfect for track duty and using the Camaro SS track deflectors and smaller rotor shield really does help (so, in a ZL1, using any of the "good fluids" will likely give no issue at all). The Motul 660 does better than the 600 on these Camaros, from my experience, but you may still get a little bit of an inconsistent pedal near the end of a session (very track dependent though; only happened for me on a small, tighter track with a lot of braking activity).

StopTech is very similar to the Motul. I actually think it is maybe a touch better, but nearly the same.

The Ferodo fluid has not given me any problems, but does seem to need regular bleeding of the system after hard track use.

I will be trying the Endless fluid next up.

Quote:
Yep so I just realized that SRF is 1L and all the rest or 500ML so the price difference is not to much.

How many 1L SRF should I get to flush the old Dot 3 out?
You can get away with a single 1L bottle.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:22 AM   #10
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i have motul 660 bleed it once a year change it out once a year no problems
Old 03-09-2021, 10:34 AM   #11
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post

This. Good for a year, 15-20 track days and bleed once mid season. But, as i could not find it locally anymore, ive been running Willwood EXP with exactly the same experience and protocol as SRF. Cheers!

PS Based on posted experiences in the past i avoid Motul.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:50 AM   #12
20Bluezl1

Ok so looks like I'm going with the SRF. Now I will buy two 1L bottles to be safe. Also looking for the motive power bleeder but I see mixed reviews. Some say they leak with etier the metal or plastic cap. What should I get?
Old 03-09-2021, 11:08 AM   #13
rotis

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
I got the one with the plastic cap, it works great and doesn't leak. I used the thin gasket and lubricated it with a tiny bit of brake fluid. Just be 100% sure it's not leaking before you pressurize it with brake fluid.
rotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:40 AM   #14
nprario

Drives: 2017 1ss 1le HBM
I use the ATE Type 200. They don't make the blue anymore even if it says that on the can. I do bleed the brakes before each event I go to and so far it has been good. I have the Motive bleeder with the metal cap and it works great!
nprario is offline   Reply With Quote