Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 04-04-2019, 10:27 AM   #1
RoaringV8

Drives: 2017 HBM Camaro SS 1LE Camaro
Raybestos ST43 Brake Pads

I switched the stock Ferrodo pads to Raybestos ST43 pads on all 4 corners last year for my occasional track day. The bite on these pads are incredible and so is the stopping power. The downside is they are CRAZY noisy on the street. I've read that a few other guys (including Corvette owners) have had this issue. I think they might be a bit too strong for our cars as well because I seem to go into ABS (ICE mode) under hard braking every single time...more so than I did on the stock pads.

I've also read that some people feel the majority of the brake squeal comes from the rear, but I'm not sure I agree with that. Has anyone run ST43 pads in the front with the stock pads in the rear? Is this a good idea to possibly help eliminate noise and going into ICE mode under hard braking?

Any thoughts or comments would be very much appreciated.
RoaringV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:39 PM   #2
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
I've run the ST43s since September of 2016, street and track. Yes, they are noisy, I dig it personally. I believe my noise is from the front or front/rear.

I experienced ICE mode only once, and it was my last event of last year. But it was not ST43 related. I run the Goodyear 3R in 305/30-19 for the track. When I pulled the car out from the garage that morning, my RF tire had a screw in it. The tire could not be plugged, but fortunately I had some used RE-71R's, so my tire guy mounted one RE-71R. I knew the risk of running (3) 3Rs and one RE-71R, but I wasn't going to cancel my track day. Very early in session 1 I experienced ICE mode in a heavy brake zone, but I was able to quickly realize what was happening and released then reapplied the brakes for a safe corner.

I adjusted by not being as heavy on the initial application of the brakes. I did not have any more issues that day and still ran within 2 hundredths of a second of my PB. I do believe the difference in grip(slip) on the front between the two different tires led to this happening. There are others who have used the ST43 on a Gen 5 (and Gen 6 1LE) who have not had any issues.

What tires are you running? Because that plays a big part in a grippy pad like the ST43. If your tires don't have the grip, the brakes will overpower the tires.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:56 PM   #3
RoaringV8

Drives: 2017 HBM Camaro SS 1LE Camaro
Thanks for the reply. I agree with you as to where the noise is coming from.

I've been running the stock Goodyear F1 Supercars for track use. As long as the track is dry, I think the tire is great. I might be experiencing the ICE mode more because the initial bite on these pads is so strong. As you mentioned, I might have to be easier with my initial application on the brakes. Either way, when the car goes into ICE mode it feels much less confidence inspiring than I'd like. With that being said, I've never had an issue getting the car stopped, but getting into ABS each time under hard braking is annoying. The issue really showed up running at VIR with it's heavy braking sections. Going into the 'track mode' slightly helps, but not as much as I would have thought.

Thoughts on using stock pads in the back with the ST43s in the front? I'm afraid that would mess up the braking bias more than I'd like.
RoaringV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:41 PM   #4
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Yeah, the G:2 F1 SuperCars are a great tire, but they may not be enough tire for the ST43s. I think you are correct on the initial bite playing a part. A slight adjustment to your technique may be all you need. A bit less aggressive in that initial application.

I'm not sure on using the OE pads on the rear. It will not have as much total braking power and like you mentioned about the bias. It will have even more front brake power, which depending on what your brake technique is, could change the balance of the car on entry.