Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 07-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
HOZAY
The Eponymous Jose

Drives: A V6. Yes. A LLT.
Exclamation V6 Brakes - Rough Braking from High Speeds - Questions

2010 V6 RS, at 42.9k miles.

My braking from high speeds was starting to be a little rough, car would shake, and now it's pretty much any braking.

I'm guessing I need to resurface the rotors and replace the pads, correct? Maybe get an alignment done while I'm at it.

Called up the dealer and I got that ludicrous $204/pr price for brake pads. What are some alternatives? On my old Mits Galant I'd replace the pads myself, can I do it on the Camaro? While I search the forum for more info, could anybody point me in the right direction?

I don't want to keep driving it with that issue, but I'm not shelling out $600 for mats + labor for this.

Thanks in advance.

(One other thing - how often do I change the transmission fluid on this car? It's getting up there in miles and all I've done are air filters, oil changes, and new tires)
Old 07-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOZAY View Post
2010 V6 RS, at 42.9k miles.

My braking from high speeds was starting to be a little rough, car would shake, and now it's pretty much any braking.

I'm guessing I need to resurface the rotors and replace the pads, correct? Maybe get an alignment done while I'm at it.

Called up the dealer and I got that ludicrous $204/pr price for brake pads. What are some alternatives? On my old Mits Galant I'd replace the pads myself, can I do it on the Camaro? While I search the forum for more info, could anybody point me in the right direction?

I don't want to keep driving it with that issue, but I'm not shelling out $600 for mats + labor for this.

Thanks in advance.
Yes, if you've done brakes you can do these. I think the hawk pads are $100ish per set. Nowadays people just replace the rotors. They seem to be made with less material so a resurface will make them more prone to warp.

Try gmpartsdirect for good prices on factory stuff.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
HOZAY
The Eponymous Jose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Yes, if you've done brakes you can do these. I think the hawk pads are $100ish per set. Nowadays people just replace the rotors. They seem to be made with less material so a resurface will make them more prone to warp.

Try gmpartsdirect for good prices on factory stuff.
Ah, thanks. Yes, I see the prices for the Hawk Pads, which is a lot less than the dealer prices, especially if I can switch them out myself, along with the rotors from parts.com or whatnot.

Thanks for this.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #4
HOZAY
The Eponymous Jose

Alright, so, bottom line, unless anyone else wishes to contribute:

2 front rotors
Hawk front and rear pad set

And I'll do the labor myself, yes?
Old 07-17-2012, 07:46 AM   #5
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
100K for the transmission fluid.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
bandier
Got mine!

Drives: 2021 LT1 RS - Orange Crush
I'm getting the same issue and I'm at the same mileage 42,000. I took it to the dealer. They didn't even want to look at it for the wobble. The service tech automatically said it's the rotors and wanted to have them turned. I still have plenty of pad left. So I'm left with a quandary, turn or replace the rotors. Upgrade the rotors and pads? Which leads to another question: If I upgrade to a more performance rotor and pad will this prevent brake wobble? My car is a daily driver and I like driving fast but not extreme, so I would think the stock stuff would do the trick. More info please.
bandier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #7
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandier View Post
I'm getting the same issue and I'm at the same mileage 42,000. I took it to the dealer. They didn't even want to look at it for the wobble. The service tech automatically said it's the rotors and wanted to have them turned. I still have plenty of pad left. So I'm left with a quandary, turn or replace the rotors. Upgrade the rotors and pads? Which leads to another question: If I upgrade to a more performance rotor and pad will this prevent brake wobble? My car is a daily driver and I like driving fast but not extreme, so I would think the stock stuff would do the trick. More info please.
The stock stuff is honestly not too bad. I'd suggest turning them once and ride them out until you need new pads.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
If you want to buy new GM pads and rotors, GMpartsdirect.com sells them very reasonable from list prices. Here's a sample order for 2010 LT brake pads and rotors for all 4 corners.
Attached Images

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #9
bandier
Got mine!

Drives: 2021 LT1 RS - Orange Crush
Thanks.
bandier is offline   Reply With Quote