Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-28-2023, 12:16 PM   #1
phoenix78

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS (A6 Ashen Gray)
Holley VC Elite CC Oil fill SOLVED

I wanted to document this in case it could help anyone else.

After the installation of my camshaft, I noticed that my Elite Engineering E2 catch can was filling quicker than expected. After searching the forums for an answer, I found someone mention that certain Holley valve covers should have a PCV valve added to mitigate excessive oil being caught by some catch cans. I did not install my valve covers myself and presume that the installer didn't know about the need for the PCV valve. I accept responsibility for not being aware of the suggestion in the installation manual provided by Holley.

Note: I believe that my Holley valve covers are part number 241-91.

According to Holley manual number 199r10578rev3 for "LS Angled Coil Valve Covers", "Some applications, as pictured below, have internal PCV restrictions inside the cover assembly. If your application utilizes this type of connection, an external PCV valve must be added in-line on the hose. If needed, suggested PCV valves are: (1) Beck/Arnley P/N 0450299 or (2) Fram P/N FV340"

My catch can filled up about 2/3 within maybe 20-30 miles. After adding the PCV valve and driving for several hundred miles, the oil in the catch can appears to look the same as the day I installed the valve.

Anyway, here is my setup that seems to have resolved the issue. A PCV valve was added inline with the hose running from the driver side valve cover to the inlet of the catch can. Then, there's a hose running from the outlet of the can to a port on the intake manifold. I also have an Elite Engineering clean side separator with inline check valve running from the passenger side valve cover oil fill port to the port on my Cold Air Inductions cold air intake.
Attached Images

Mod list: GPI SS3 camshaft (VVT delete), ZL1 Fuel Pump, FIC 60 lb injectors, Tru-Cool 40k tranny cooler, Circle D 3600 triple disc (billet flexplate), GPI Rod Mod, Bo White ported TB, Variant Helium wheels, Continental ECS 02 tires, CAI cold air intake, Kooks 1 7/8" LTH w/ high flow cats, Ridetech HQ coilovers, BMR sway bars, BMR delrin subframe bushings, Hendrix offset poly diff bushings, Borla S-Type axle-back exhaust, Holley EFI Fuel Rails, Elite Engineering E2 catch can, Umbra LED Taillights, Kenwood DMX9707S head unit, some minor interior/exterior appearance mods.

phoenix78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 01:48 PM   #2
SlowLS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS , 2011 Colorado LS1
Good job on finding a solution. Your post will certainly help someone in the future, maybe even me.
Old 11-28-2023, 02:16 PM   #3
NoDakZ/28

Drives: 2014 Z/28 CTF
I had the same issue with my Holley VC's as well, Elite had me put a restrictor at the driver side port.
2014 Z/28 #99008 CTF SIM
NoDakZ/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 07:04 PM   #4
phoenix78

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS (A6 Ashen Gray)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowLS1 View Post
Good job on finding a solution. Your post will certainly help someone in the future, maybe even me.
Haha Perhaps. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDakZ/28 View Post
I had the same issue with my Holley VC's as well, Elite had me put a restrictor at the driver side port.
Thank you for sharing this! It's good to know that Elite suggests the same thing.
Mod list: GPI SS3 camshaft (VVT delete), ZL1 Fuel Pump, FIC 60 lb injectors, Tru-Cool 40k tranny cooler, Circle D 3600 triple disc (billet flexplate), GPI Rod Mod, Bo White ported TB, Variant Helium wheels, Continental ECS 02 tires, CAI cold air intake, Kooks 1 7/8" LTH w/ high flow cats, Ridetech HQ coilovers, BMR sway bars, BMR delrin subframe bushings, Hendrix offset poly diff bushings, Borla S-Type axle-back exhaust, Holley EFI Fuel Rails, Elite Engineering E2 catch can, Umbra LED Taillights, Kenwood DMX9707S head unit, some minor interior/exterior appearance mods.

phoenix78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catch, elite, holley, oil, pcv