Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-20-2019, 01:49 AM   #15
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
I’ve used coin operated touchiness and they worked great. Would do it here and there but rinseless more convenient.

My Jetta I put thru the $6 gas station car wash. It’s so damn easy but probably not good for the paint. But I could care less. That car looks clean, lol.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:59 AM   #16
EJR8402

Drives: 2019 Red Hot 1SS "Scarlett"
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Touchless car wash coin ops or drive thru use very harsh soaps, chems and recycled water. Avoid at all costs!
When I lived in an apartment I always used a coin-operated self-service car wash. I took my bucket(s) and supplies, used the water to fill up the bucket and do a rinse after washing with sponge. Usually used Meguiar's Gold Class shampoo. I wasn't as meticulous or knowledgeable with my washing/drying methods back then, but the paint still looked pretty good when I sold my old 02 Camaro.

Kirk- I'd like to hear your thoughts on how/why the water coming from a coin-operated wash is any different than what's coming from the tap. Around here, even the water coming out of my faucet is pretty heavily mineralized- leave it for too long on the paint and you can have oxidation. But proper drying negates this completely.
EJR8402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:16 AM   #17
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJR8402 View Post
When I lived in an apartment I always used a coin-operated self-service car wash. I took my bucket(s) and supplies, used the water to fill up the bucket and do a rinse after washing with sponge. Usually used Meguiar's Gold Class shampoo. I wasn't as meticulous or knowledgeable with my washing/drying methods back then, but the paint still looked pretty good when I sold my old 02 Camaro.

Kirk- I'd like to hear your thoughts on how/why the water coming from a coin-operated wash is any different than what's coming from the tap. Around here, even the water coming out of my faucet is pretty heavily mineralized- leave it for too long on the paint and you can have oxidation. But proper drying negates this completely.
Some coin-op car washes have a pit that captures the water that runs off the cars and recycles it. To cut down on the amount of water used, a lot of car washes recycle water. The recycled water is normally used in the early rinses and to mix with the detergents
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:37 AM   #18
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
I am to the point in my life where I would rather use my time doing other things. I take mine to a detail shop that is well known/respected among car enthusiasts that hand washes only, about twice a month.

Might be a little more expensive, but works for me.

I am also ceramic coated/clear bra, so I don't worry about it too much. No matter how clean it gets, its dusty with brake dust after half a day.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:01 PM   #19
Ox45
Hillbilly Highness

Drives: 2001 S10, 2022 LT1 Vert
I have gotten on the Meguiars D115 bandwagon. I do have access to a hose, etc... But if you stay on it then a full wash just is not needed very often.

D115 @ 4:1 ratio is excellent.
Ox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:04 PM   #20
Ox45
Hillbilly Highness

Drives: 2001 S10, 2022 LT1 Vert
Btw, I think pure rinseless on D115 is something like 10:1.
Ox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:55 PM   #21
Daily1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
There really isn't an easy answer. Not having access to a place to wash your car and a water source simply sucks. I know because I did it for several years, and only a few months ago FINALLY bought my own house.

This doesn't mean your car can't stay somewhat clean. Here are some things I did to keep my car clean:

1. Go to a friends house that has a driveway and hose. Cheapest option. I own a lot of car cleaning products and accessories which I would let my friends use in exchange for their space and water. Worked out fine, but the downside was I was on their time and had to haul around everything I owned every time I wanted to wash.

2. Go to one of those self-wash places. Costs a bit, but most times I could get away with cleaning my car for under $10, and you don't have to rely on anyone else. I did cheat a little bit though and brought buckets of water with me to help with things like washing rims and such, as this takes time and running their water gets expensive fast.

3. Simply pay to get it washed. Obviously the most expensive option, but simple. I never liked this since I am kind of a perfectionist with car washing and no car wash place will wash your car like you would yourself. However, it's quick and "good enough" so sometimes it works in a pinch.

Anyway, you can do the rinseless or waterless or whatever else less wash you want, but to be honest that stuff doesn't work as well on a car that is parked outside. Overnight the car is covered with contaminants. Now that I own a garage I really learned how much cleaner your car stays when its in one. I use waterless wash on my car all the time now, but would never dare before this. It just gets nasty too quickly when its outside and I can't imagine running a towel over all that dust, dirt, etc.
Daily1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:48 PM   #22
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Touchless can work at home if your car is super slick and not too dirty. Pressure washer, foam cannon, hose rinse, SiO2 spray on/off, blow dry, and blot with a towel and you are pretty much touchless.

Touchless car wash coin ops or drive thru use very harsh soaps, chems and recycled water. Avoid at all costs!

I use a steamer every day but not to exterior wash a car. It would take a lot of steam and you would have to let the steamer pressurize a lot of the time. Steamers are great for tires, wheels, carpet, seats, etc.
Thanks for the info, what about something like the Tornador? You think it's a gimmick? Its easy to keep the large paint surfaces clean, but after you put miles of driving in the rain all of thoes cracks and crevasis start getting bad, a good example is the SS symbol in the front grill, I could sit there with a q-tip for an hour and make very little progress, same for the upper grill. It's just so much work.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote