Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 08-26-2019, 02:00 PM   #1
LTwin86

Drives: 2017 2LT RS
Screen mirror, wireless Android auto.

Due to safety rules, all stock touch screens are useless. I expected anything new in 2019 infortament system, but it is the same crap...
Android auto also useless in my area and need every time connection to USB. I use my wireless charging pad and I like it. No more wire.
I tried Navtool with wireless adapter, it is disgusting and I returned it back. Do not waste your time on Navtool
Now, I have full control on a car touchscreen and can use any app on my phone wirelessly.
My spec is Pixel 3 Rooted. The same can be done on any android device. Root needed only for control from car touch screen.
It takes time, but it is worth it.
Android auto wireless
Mirror plus app
Attached Images

LTwin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:33 PM   #2
s1dest3p

Drives: 2013 Genesis Coupe Track 3.8
Does only 2019+ infotainment support wireless android auto, or does 2016-2018 support wireless android auto also?
s1dest3p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:08 PM   #3
LTwin86

Both does not support... I did it on 2017 model year.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:09 PM   #4
s1dest3p

Drives: 2013 Genesis Coupe Track 3.8
Ok, but what did you do to the factory head unit to get it to support wireless android auto? You only mention rooting your phone, but don't you have to do something to the head unit if it doesn't support wireless android auto from factory?
s1dest3p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:43 AM   #5
LTwin86

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1dest3p View Post
Ok, but what did you do to the factory head unit to get it to support wireless android auto? You only mention rooting your phone, but don't you have to do something to the head unit if it doesn't support wireless android auto from factory?
No need to modificate head unit, just open links which i posted and read, easy to do.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:04 PM   #6
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTwin86 View Post
No need to modificate head unit, just open links which i posted and read, easy to do.
This looks pretty cool. I have to say, I only use android auto on long trips due to the fact that I just don't want to be bothered to connect a cable everytime I get in the car.

Does it automatically connect like bluetooth does or do we have to manually connect Android auto each time through the app?
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 02:15 PM   #7
Kmeleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmeleon View Post
This looks pretty cool. I have to say, I only use android auto on long trips due to the fact that I just don't want to be bothered to connect a cable everytime I get in the car.

Does it automatically connect like bluetooth does or do we have to manually connect Android auto each time through the app?
Also, I assume you are using a slave device to connect to your phone? What device are you using?
Old 08-28-2019, 02:17 PM   #8
LTwin86

Quote:

You just need to sit down and tap AAuto on car display or make it launch automatically if such option enabled in AAuto. I prefer to tap every time. I recommend to use a small old smartphone which will live in car all the time. In this case AAuto will be available to launch from car screen immediately, if you will use a TV stick, it will take time to launch, about 30-40 sec.
Also, you should install app Carspot ready. In this case when phone will connect to Mylink by bluetooth, it will automatically launch hot spot which needed for wireless AA.
In this case you have to do nothing, just sit down, tap and go
Old 08-28-2019, 02:25 PM   #9
LTwin86

Quote:
Also, I assume you are using a slave device to connect to your phone? What device are you using?
I bought cheap Nokia 1 it is small and it is easy to hide in central box. Do not use cheap TV box, very complicated a need more time.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:26 PM   #10
Kmeleon

Quote:
You just need to sit down and tap AAuto on car display or make it launch automatically if such option enabled in AAuto. I prefer to tap every time. I recommend to use a small old smartphone which will live in car all the time. In this case AAuto will be available to launch from car screen immediately, if you will use a TV stick, it will take time to launch, about 30-40 sec.
Also, you should install app Carspot ready. In this case when phone will connect to Mylink by bluetooth, it will automatically launch hot spot which needed for wireless AA.
In this case you have to do nothing, just sit down, tap and go
Wow, thank you so much for posting this mod! I can't wait to get it working.

Your english is fantastic BTW, but just so I'm clear....So the best way is install an old android phone in the car under constant power and then use the app Carspot on your regular phone to launch AA automatically?

I will be working on this in the next week, hopefully you'll frequent the forums in case I have questions Nice work!
Old 08-28-2019, 03:05 PM   #11
LTwin86

Quote:
Wow, thank you so much for posting this mod! I can't wait to get it working.

Your english is fantastic BTW, but just so I'm clear....So the best way is install an old android phone in the car under constant power and then use the app Carspot on your regular phone to launch AA automatically?

I will be working on this in the next week, hopefully you'll frequent the forums in case I have questions Nice work!
Please read this link to understand whole process.
Yes, use small cheap smartphone with Android on board like a slave. You need to adjust it only one time. It is easy if you will do all like in the link.
If you would like a full automatic operation and do absolutely nothing, on your Master phone (your phone) install Carspot app and add your Mylink system to it. After that, every time when your phone connecting to Mylink bluetooth, it will automatically activate hot spot to make AAuto wireless enable for connecting with slave phone. If you will not do this, you have to switch on hot spot every time or launch it once and it will work all the time.
If you like automatic start AAuto, just activate function in AAuto settings Car settings - Automatic start AAuto when connected to car bluetooth.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:00 AM   #12
Kmeleon

Quote:
Please read this link to understand whole process.
Yes, use small cheap smartphone with Android on board like a slave. You need to adjust it only one time. It is easy if you will do all like in the link.
If you would like a full automatic operation and do absolutely nothing, on your Master phone (your phone) install Carspot app and add your Mylink system to it. After that, every time when your phone connecting to Mylink bluetooth, it will automatically activate hot spot to make AAuto wireless enable for connecting with slave phone. If you will not do this, you have to switch on hot spot every time or launch it once and it will work all the time.
If you like automatic start AAuto, just activate function in AAuto settings Car settings - Automatic start AAuto when connected to car bluetooth.
I've been battling this thing for the past day but failing. I have tried both a Samsung S4 and a Samsung S7 (both unrooted) as my slave phones, my S9 is my Master. I've installed the AA Gateway app on both phones and followed the directions on setting them up. Upon fresh reboot of the phones, making sure the hotspot is running on the Master and the slave connected I usually get an alarm on the Master stating AA headunit server is either stuck or not running, start manually. Even if I go into AA and start it manually it never connects to the car. I get the AA logo on the car screen but when I press it is just says "connecting to phone, see phone screen for messages". No messages on the phones usually other than the AA Gateway messages popping up that they're communicating.

LT, do you have root on your little Nokia 1 slave? I'm wondering if I need root on one or both of the phones (even though the thread says no).

I'm stuck for now, time to go read the thread some more.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:37 PM   #13
LTwin86

Quote:
I've been battling this thing for the past day but failing. I have tried both a Samsung S4 and a Samsung S7 (both unrooted) as my slave phones, my S9 is my Master. I've installed the AA Gateway app on both phones and followed the directions on setting them up. Upon fresh reboot of the phones, making sure the hotspot is running on the Master and the slave connected I usually get an alarm on the Master stating AA headunit server is either stuck or not running, start manually. Even if I go into AA and start it manually it never connects to the car. I get the AA logo on the car screen but when I press it is just says "connecting to phone, see phone screen for messages". No messages on the phones usually other than the AA Gateway messages popping up that they're communicating.

LT, do you have root on your little Nokia 1 slave? I'm wondering if I need root on one or both of the phones (even though the thread says no).

I'm stuck for now, time to go read the thread some more.
You don't need rooted devices if you will not use mirror screen app.
Sometimes it happens, i had the same when adjusting it, but when all get connected, you will never face with it.
Did you activate AAuto developer mode and activate Server head unit??? If you rebooted phone, you should activate it every time after reboot.
When something goes wrong, reboot both device. Also, delete your car from Android auto in Master AA settings, it is better if car find it again wireless.
Also, if reboot didn't help you, shut down car unit, close car for 10 sec and repeat all actions. In AAgateway, make sure no flags in options.

Last edited by LTwin86; 08-30-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:26 PM   #14
Kmeleon

Thanks LT but I have given up for now. I did finally get it working after an hour or so on Sunday but it's not repeatable at all for me. I'm running an S9 as my master and tried both an S7 and an S4 and can't seem to make the connection reliably. One day maybe I'll revisit, but for now I just don't feel it's ready for prime time with my equipment.