Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-13-2019, 10:10 PM   #1
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
(Fixed - Successfully replaced USB module) USB Port Issue

So I bought my '16 1LT used and ever since I've owned it I have not been able to use the built-in USB ports, I have tried the global reset (unplugging the negative off the battery to reset car).

I finally opened up my center console and retrieved the physical part itself, I'm thinking the previous owner spilled something that reached the part. Everything else works so I don't think the harness or wiring is the issue. The part itself does get warm when the car is on so there's power going to it.

Mainly looking for some ideas or something, I'm looking through diagrams to find this part number but nothing comes up when I type in any of the sticker numbers.

Device Pictures

I'm thinking of hopefully finding someone parting out and asking for their module, hopefully, it's not year-specific as some of the other components and a plug n play solution maybe. Or I'm hoping too much.

Last edited by Bumbleboy92; 03-21-2019 at 02:02 AM.
Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:15 AM   #2
DarkFangz1100

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
best case replace it...if it's overheating you have a short in the connector...that side that looks stained looks like burnt plastic
Old 03-14-2019, 12:57 PM   #3
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post
So I bought my '16 1LT used and ever since I've owned it I have not been able to use the built-in USB ports, I have tried the global reset (unplugging the negative off the battery to reset car).

I finally opened up my center console and retrieved the physical part itself, I'm thinking the previous owner spilled something that reached the part. Everything else works so I don't think the harness or wiring is the issue. The part itself does get warm when the car is on so there's power going to it.

Mainly looking for some ideas or something, I'm looking through diagrams to find this part number but nothing comes up when I type in any of the sticker numbers.

Device Pictures

I'm thinking of hopefully finding someone parting out and asking for their module, hopefully, it's not year-specific as some of the other components and a plug n play solution maybe. Or I'm hoping too much.
Hope it's still available. https://replacementradios.com/chevy-...42-p-3256.html At least it gives you the p/n.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:22 PM   #4
Move'n Up

Drives: 17 Z06/Z07, 17 2SS Fifty, Ram 2500
Have you tried spraying it thoroughly with electrical contact cleaner? Then allow several hours for it to completely dry.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:50 PM   #5
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFangz1100 View Post
best case replace it...if it's overheating you have a short in the connector...that side that looks stained looks like burnt plastic
Yea I thought it was that or whatever was spilled. But if what I’m trying rn doesn’t work then definetly replacing.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:51 PM   #6
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldman View Post
Hope it's still available. https://replacementradios.com/chevy-...42-p-3256.html At least it gives you the p/n.
Sweet, I really appreciate it!
Old 03-14-2019, 03:52 PM   #7
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move'n Up View Post
Have you tried spraying it thoroughly with electrical contact cleaner? Then allow several hours for it to completely dry.
I don’t know much about electrical cleaning but my brother took it and we have it soaking in 70% isopropyl alcohol. If it doesn’t clean it, or damages it I’ll try the site another user posted and get another one
Old 03-14-2019, 06:58 PM   #8
DarkFangz1100

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post
I don’t know much about electrical cleaning but my brother took it and we have it soaking in 70% isopropyl alcohol. If it doesn’t clean it, or damages it I’ll try the site another user posted and get another one
Isopropyl will loosen it up but it needs to be scrubbed which from the looks of it you won't get deep into it to fully clean it.

Source - Aircraft electrician
Old 03-15-2019, 02:51 PM   #9
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Update

I was able to open the module further and let that soak in the alcohol then brushing it with an old toothbrush. Sadly it didn’t work, the corner of the board on the USB side which is burnt I believe become extremely hot, enough so that it may have burned my finger if I had not retreated.

Pics of circuit board/interior

At this point I’ll most definitely buy a new one but will leave this up for someone else to reference down the road. Thanks to all those who responded!
Old 03-15-2019, 02:59 PM   #10
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Hey my USB ports are "loose" and don't make a good enough connection to use CarPlay. Since you have that piece out, do you see any reason why the USB ports could get loose? From your pics, I don't see how they could be. Thanks!
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:49 PM   #11
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Hey my USB ports are "loose" and don't make a good enough connection to use CarPlay. Since you have that piece out, do you see any reason why the USB ports could get loose? From your pics, I don't see how they could be. Thanks!
someone yanking the USB cord out, especially at an angle
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:00 PM   #12
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfeelgood View Post
someone yanking the USB cord out, especially at an angle
Could be. I bought the car used, don't know the history. I guess I need to order new module.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:26 PM   #13
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Quote:
Maybe one of the connections was bent or became loose, I tried to make a video showcasing the module and how it is plugged in. Not the best and slight cursing on my part but I did the best to my ability to show with one hand. Hope it helps and lmk if you need more info, my car will be open like this for almost a week as I’ll keep it open till my new module arrives next week.

USB Video
Old 03-15-2019, 06:32 PM   #14
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Quote:
Could be. I bought the car used, don't know the history. I guess I need to order new module.
Sucks for us, the previous owners should have taken better care of our cars :(

Cleaning up the spilled liquid which I’m guessing is soda when I opened my center console was nasty. I don’t understand how whoever owned the car before got it all across the console and even on the steering wheel and radio, like it had to have exploded or something

Tags
device, non-working, part, port, usb