Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-18-2017, 07:59 AM   #15
whiskeyfed
Pat

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT I4 Turbo A8
Thanks Tommy! Up until now it is all aesthetic, I have some Mishimoto stuff in the mail and a lot of things on deck. Just a money management challenge at this point.

Subscribe on YouTube Whiskeyfed Camaro

Follow my Build Thread The WhiskeyFed Camaro

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

DYNO SHEET: 297whp / 374wtq
Tuned by #danytechtuning
whiskeyfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:15 AM   #16
whiskeyfed
Pat

Phase 5: Paddle Shifter Extensions

This may be my favorite modification to my car yet, maybe even more than the CAI. They just add so much pop to the interior

As with most of my car purchases, this one happened at work while I was looking for some interior pieces to replace the plasticy ones. So I went to Ebay and did a general search for "2017 Camaro Accessories." (Yes, I was bored as hell)... Saw paddle shifter replacements for like an STI or something, and was like wow those look sweet, let me search for ones for my car.

TGMPG has colored replacement paddles but they are cra-z expensive. So I found these, and boy am I glad I got them. They are brushed aluminum 100% metal. They stick right on the back of the OEM paddles with 3M double sided tape. Although the functionality (described in video link) is really limited to the size of the OEM paddles, the way they look and feel on your fingers is incredible.

It is just mental, but the shifts feel snappier and crisper with the metal feel on your hands. I literally never EVER drive my car in automatic. Even if I am backing my car out of the driveway to put it in the street, it is R-->D then bump it over into M1. It has become subconscious at this point. I have actually accidentally left it in drive once because I was distracted, floored it and "shifted" into neutral at about 30 mph

These were $65 and worth absolutely every penny. They come in Silver, Red, Black and a Gunmetal Grey color. There is an option for an $85 pair but they are literally the same product. Even the advertisements on the page are the same lol.

Seeing another camaro without these, and without the color pop of the red, the interior just seems bleh. They match real well with the gauge cluster too.

Here is a link to my review of them and a good idea of what they feel and look like in the car.

Here is a link to buy them on Ebay
(*****you have to enter the color you want in the message to the seller*****)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steering-Whe...1Y8Ibj&vxp=mtr

MY REVIEW OF THE PADDLE SHIFTER EXTENSIONS
Go buy them... right now...

I'm waiting... No seriously... like right now.

Phase 5... Complete.
Attached Images

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

Tuned by #danytechtuning

Last edited by whiskeyfed; 08-18-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:27 PM   #17
whiskeyfed
Pat

Phase 6: Camaro Fest 7

Yeah, yeah I know, not really anything to do with my "build" but this was a huge experience for myself and my car.

This was in one word, INCREDIBLE! There were 1100 Camaros there on Saturday and I could have stayed there for weeks. Between Camaros for rows, and rows, drag racing, autocross and the people, it was one of the coolest car related experiences I have ever had.

My trip was approximately 1100 miles and took about 14 hours one way. Again, worth the drive. I met up with Evil-Bee NH, Chevyracingfan, and a few others in Columbus, OH and we "Camarovanned" down to BG from there.

I must say tho, the impromptu carshow/beerfest in the parking lot each night was probably the best part. Met a lot of awesome people and saw some sweet rides. There were cars from Canada, California, and Texas there!!!

I am super stoked about next year and will definitely be going. Girlfriend will probably fly as she found out my seats dont recline about halfway through the drive

It is an absolute must if you love cars and love Camaros.

Phase 6...Ongoing
Attached Images

Tuned by #danytechtuning
Old 08-18-2017, 12:46 PM   #18
whiskeyfed
Pat

Phase 7: CQuartzUK Ceramic Coating

So after about 7-8 months after I had my Ceramic Pro Sport applied, it started to wear off and I started doing some research again. My choices were
- Pay for a more expensive Ceramic Pro application (9H is ~2500-3000K)
- Adams Ceramic Coating (Kit is $150, comes with towels, ceramic boost and prep fluid)
- Jet Seal from CG ($40 wax coating/sealant)
- Hydro2 Silica Sealant from CarPro ($60 spray sealant)
- CQuartz from CarPro ($80 Ceramic Treatment)

I chose CQuartz... Obviously

I contacted my detailer who I have gone to for almost everything lately and he said he was certified to apply CQuartz and happened to have the UK version, which performs better in cold temperatures. He gave me an incredible deal for being a repeat customer and I was sold.

It came out flawless. Full wash, clay bar, and 2 step paint correction before the application. I left my car with him over a weekend and picked it up Monday morning and it looked better than when I picked it up off the showroom floor.

The 50ml kit (comes with applicator pads and coating) was like 80 bucks and it outperforms the Ceramic Pro Sport by leaps and bounds. It has been on for about 2-3 months now (I actually got it before Camaro Fest but messed up my order here ) and it is still amazing. Water rolls right off and I can dry 95% of my car with just a leaf blower.

If you are in the market for a coating. Get this... it will blow you away.
I listed the prices above to my other choices.

Phase 7... Complete.
Attached Images

Tuned by #danytechtuning
Old 08-21-2017, 06:58 AM   #19
whiskeyfed
Pat

Phase 8: Phastek Blackout Tint Kit

I had been hesitant to pull the trigger on this because I was unsure whether I could do this myself. I didn't think I had the patience to put them on. When I was at CF7, the Phastek booth had the side markers, 3rd brake light and the rear reflectors, so I go them there for a steal. I got home and immediately ordered the tail lights and head lights. I brought them to a local detail place and they charged me TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS to put these on

I was there for about 45 mins and 20 of those minutes was waiting for the tint guy to get back to the shop. $200!!!... When I was there, I just thought, "eh, well I guess this is normal" NOPE!

Called my detailer afterwards and he said he would have charged me $50 bucks to put them all on... FML... He has also been getting customers that hate the same place I went to.

They did a good job but my experience there was very bad. Not really nice people, just there for the money and they think they're better than everyone. That was a lot of money to shell out, and because they were unpleasant to work with, I will never be going back there again.

Anyways, sorry for the rant... These look incredible. They make the car look so much meaner and more aggressive. I will say that I am a little disappointed that the sidemarkers and the 3rd brake light are not completely covered but I was told that in order to meet DOT requirements, a little OEM light has to show around the tint.

I really wish that the smoked tail lights were not so damn expensive because they would look much better. However, because I am not in the position to drop $500 on a set of tail lights, the blackout kit works just fine.

*****To those of you wondering about headlight output with the tint on... there IS a difference, so don't believe the people that say it's the same. Now, the loss of light is not like "holy smokes, I can't see Batman"... but there is a noticeable difference. I have the halogen 1LT lights so with the RS package or the SS, I imagine that the loss would be negligible. I will be upgrading to LED or HID bulbs soon. Otherwise, normal driving is great, I get a lot more broken necks with these than without them. Have driven by tons of cops with the headlight tints on and haven't been pulled over either.

MY REVIEW OF THE PHASTEK BLACKOUT KIT
Great kit if you do not want to spend the money on the smoked tail lights. Otherwise, a MUST HAVE! It just looks so much better with all that amber and red off the sides and the black headlights just flow with the paint.

Phase 8... Complete.
Attached Images

Tuned by #danytechtuning
Old 08-23-2017, 07:33 AM   #20
whiskeyfed
Pat

Phase 9: ZZP Strut Tower Brace

Received in the mail on Wed, the 23rd or August. I cannot wait to get this on

Got this installed with the help of the Prez of my car club here in CT on Saturday, and man does this thing really make the engine bay pop. So before I bought this, I was patiently waiting for BMR to come out with a 1-piece Strut brace, but I wanted to get this one because I was getting my catch can system around the same time.

1st attempt at installation, I was way too confident haha. I was like, "this is gonna be a breeze, how hard could it be?" Well... I just thought that those black bolts and nuts would just clamp down on the heim joints and voila, Strut Brace installed... Not that simple. Got the base towers connected and tightened, then I tightened the black bolts, tightened the silver nuts to the bar. The bar still had a couple INCHES of play to the front and to the back. I had no idea why it was still moving when everything was tight. Ended up taking it off, calling dad and he ended up being just as confused as me as to why it was so difficult.

2nd attempt, this pretty much was the result of me having a crappy day at work, coming home and saying to myself, "you were just being an idiot last time, this is gonna be easy" Welp, foiled again. Still had no clue as to why the bar was still loose when everything was tight as can be. I called ZZP (they do not have a live customer service, service. Which was kind of annoying because this was on a Sunday so I wouldn't be getting a call until at least Monday.) and left a pretty idiotic sounding voicemail saying that I had no idea what was going on and everything is tight, etc... Took it off again and waited to ZZP to get back to me.

3rd attempt... So I got an email back from ZZP which told me exactly what needed to happen for the bar to be set. After the braces were bolted to the towers, I needed to loosen the heim joints, put one of them facing forward and the other facing backwards, tighten the silver bolts to the bar and then tighten the black bolts. (This took two people, I do not know how I could possibly have done this myself). Took some fanagling but we got it on.

I absolutely love the way this looks on my car. Since the Camaro already has "mini-struts" as I like to call them. It has not made a huge performance difference or any at all yet. This is pretty much just aesthetic but I am sure it provides some kind of cornering assistance.

MY REVIEW OF THE STRUT BAR
Can't pass this up for $100 bucks as the BMR ones for the SS models range from $120-$250. Was a little more trouble than I would have liked but I figured it out and it looks amazing (especially with the Catch Cans )

Phase 9... Complete.
Attached Images

Tuned by #danytechtuning

Last edited by whiskeyfed; 09-04-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:34 AM   #21
whiskeyfed
Pat

Phase 10: Mishimoto Baffled Oil Catch Can System

Received in the mail on Friday Aug 25.

Also go these installed the same day as the Strut Brace. These were super simple to install! Mishimoto has installation videos that literally walk you through the process step by step. Hats off to Mishimoto for that and also for having great quality products. The toughest part of this install was getting the old PCV tube off of the engine bay. Even that only took a couple minutes to get those tools to fit in and pop the connections off.

Once that was off, I just followed the install video and (unlike the strut bar) VOILA! Catch can system installed. I had ordered the CCV side sitting next to Evil-Bee at a car show in NH with the Forum code that gave me 30% off (no longer active). Once I had ordered that, a few days later, I emailed Mishimoto to apply for a sponsorship and I was accepted!! WooHoo! They shot me an email with a sponsor code to apply to anything in the store (excluding pre-sale items and items that had been very recently on pre-sale).

I applied to Mishimoto because they seem to be pushing the bar as far as R&D and products on our platform. Their products seemed very high quality and I wanted to get involved with them. They have been super responsive to questions, emails and even missing parts that they had on my doorstep in 1 day of telling them it was missing. 1 DAY! Amazon Prime can barely do that.

Anyways... Back to the install and my review.

I ordered the PCV side with my sponsor code and planned on doing them together along with my strut bar. I was kind of a dumb ass and took this first picture below and mixed up the pieces a little bit so I had to do some organizing before the install. Mishimoto's video also tells you all the tools you will need for the entire installation so you don't have to run back and forth to the toolbox to find that godforsaken 10mm socket when the 11mm doesn't fit.

Getting the engine cover back on was a bit of a struggle... Trying to get those pegs in the holes, get the cover over the insulation, and make sure I didnt mess up any of the tubes took some patience. My girlfriend's brother said he thought it was the "cleanest engine bay he had seen in a long time." This speaks volumes for the quality of the product and how well it fits with the other OEM parts in the engine bay.

MY REVIEW OF THE CATCH CAN SYSTEM
Review kind of will have to wait and see how much oil comes from the cans after 1000-2000 miles.

Phase 10... Complete.
Attached Images

Tuned by #danytechtuning

Last edited by whiskeyfed; 09-04-2017 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:07 PM   #22
whiskeyfed
Pat

Catch Can System and Strut Bar Update

Thread updated with ZZP Strut Bar and Mishimoto Catch Can System

Tuned by #danytechtuning
Old 09-14-2017, 07:35 AM   #23
whiskeyfed
Pat

Phase 11: LED Demon Eye Conversion Kit THIS WAS UNINSTALLED AND RETURNED FOR A DEFECTIVE KIT

Ordered today from XKGlow... LED Low Beam/ 16mil color Demon Eye with custom programming. Fun stuff!

Should be here by the end of next week

Got the conversion kit installed on Tuesday. It was a little trouble on the passenger side but the drivers side has a little more room. Only thing I had to remove was the Intake box. I did the install with the fuse box still on. Took about 1 1/2 hours. The toughest part was getting the bulbs into the housing and splicing new terminals on because the terminals that came on the wires would not fit over the leads for the battery on the fuse box. Other than that, very straight forward. When I was looking for LED/HID conversions, I looked at Diode, Oracle, and really wanted a demon eye feature but could not find one i liked and also in my price range. A friend referred me to this company, XKGlow and to be honest, I was a bit skeptical because I did not recognize the name. The name just sounds like a product you slap on to the undercarriage of your 98 civic (personal opinion, don't get #triggered). I have to say now, very very impressed. They have an LED headlight function that makes the car look $5k more expensive, and I can see EVERYTHING! Comparatively of course to the halogens I had. I took the headlight tint off because it blocked the color of the demon eye a lot. They also have an app that controls the demon eyes from my phone, programming includes solid colors, breathing, strobe, among a bunch of customizable sequences.

I have not really driven at night yet to tell the difference but I will say from a price, installation ease and looks perspective... extremely happy.

MY REVIEW OF THE XKGLOW 2in1 LED CONVERSION KIT
Well worth the money BUT get someone who knows what they're doing to help you.
Attached Images

Tuned by #danytechtuning

Last edited by whiskeyfed; 01-30-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:48 PM   #24
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Really impressed. I have to look into the STB...
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:10 AM   #25
whiskeyfed
Pat

Phase 12: ...

Was spoiler... adding to end

Tuned by #danytechtuning

Last edited by whiskeyfed; 01-12-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:38 AM   #26
whiskeyfed
Pat

UPDATE

Thread updated with XKGlow LED Conversion kit and added Phase 12: Spoiler

Tuned by #danytechtuning
Old 10-16-2017, 09:40 AM   #27
whiskeyfed
Pat

Cutout was wrong size Looks like this will not be happening...

Tuned by #danytechtuning

Last edited by whiskeyfed; 10-25-2017 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:48 AM   #28
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Thumbs up

looking like a good build so far man.
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote