Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 10-10-2019, 09:09 AM   #1
wrankin
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2016 Black 2SS
Novice Autocrosser - sway bar question

I just started autocrossing a month ago with my stock SS in F Street. I understand you can change either the front sway bar or rear sway bar, but not both to remain in the Street class. Is this correct, and if so which bar would I change and what kind of difference would it make?

Bill
2013 2SS / RS - AGM / Jet Black (sold)
1970 1/2 Z/28 Classic Copper / Tan (sold many years ago)

Last edited by wrankin; 10-10-2019 at 05:49 PM.
wrankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:49 AM   #2
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
Stiffer in the front = more understeer.

Stiffer in the rear = more oversteer.

Which one you should change depends on which way you want to bias the handling. If you're not sure about that, just work on the driver mod for a while...
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:53 AM   #3
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
If just starting.... only mod should be driver MOD - seat time, keep learning to drive.

Save money for tires - they make bigggessstt difference.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:09 AM   #4
JJ2218

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2.0 1LE
Also adding front camber is free if you can do your own alignment. I would max out camber before changing sway bars.
JJ2218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:24 PM   #5
wrankin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
If you're not sure about that, just work on the driver mod for a while...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
If just starting.... only mod should be driver MOD - seat time, keep learning to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ2218 View Post
Also adding front camber is free if you can do your own alignment. I would max out camber before changing sway bars.
Thanks - I'll definitely be looking for seat time and any kind of schools, test and tunes, etc. I've heard about evo school and interested in that as well.

Bill
Old 10-10-2019, 08:21 PM   #6
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
While going to a stiffer front bar may cause more understeer, I have heard that is the direction most Street class drivers go. The front bar helps make the front turn in better, less lazy on the transition.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:29 PM   #7
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Yeah, I wouldn't change the car yet. I find it well balanced stock, once the tires warm up which is tough to do sometimes at autox unless it's a smaller event and you get more runs spaced closer together. Driving the car on cold vs warm tires is night and day, it understeers too much until they warm, and once warm you can trails brake and keep it right on the edge into corners beautifully. So it does tend to understeer a bit, and I could see a slightly stiffer rear bar but I'd want an adjustable bar pretty close to stock on it's softest setting. Those are my initial impressions doing a few autox events this summer on stock GY SC3s... I have a 1LE but the same applies, get some experience with properly warmed-up tires and see what you think.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:20 AM   #8
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrankin View Post
I just started autocrossing a month ago with my stock SS in F Street. I understand you can change either the front sway bar or rear sway bar, but not both to remain the Street class. Is this correct, and if so which bar would I change and what kind of difference would it make?

Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post

Hi Bill,

Great to see someone new getting into autocross.

As mentioned above, making changes to the car right away can slow down the learning process. Seat time is key to becoming a better driver. Once you have gotten comfortable with the car you can look into making modifications to it, as long as they keep you classed properly.

Alignment and Tires/Tire pressures are where you should be looking at making changes for now. Although they don't sound like much, they have a huge effect on how the car will perform.

Happy Auto-crossing.

Stephen
JDP Motorsports
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:55 AM   #9
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Something on the front sway bar being changed for F-Street, I think that those guys were also using wider front tires like 265 or 275, despite the narrow 8.5" width of the front wheels.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:40 PM   #10
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Street class allows you to change ONE bar. As stated above, most AutoX drivers are changing the front bar. Preferred front bar is Hotchkis, not BMR. Preferred rear bar is BMR, not Hotchkis.

Agree with the other posts...do not change the car until you feel you have reached your limit on stock setup.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:53 PM   #11
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
Street class allows you to change ONE bar. As stated above, most AutoX drivers are changing the front bar. Preferred front bar is Hotchkis, not BMR. Preferred rear bar is BMR, not Hotchkis.

That's the bars that I put on my car, dramatic difference 1 l e btw
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:50 AM   #12
wrankin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargoes View Post
While going to a stiffer front bar may cause more understeer, I have heard that is the direction most Street class drivers go. The front bar helps make the front turn in better, less lazy on the transition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't change the car yet. I find it well balanced stock, once the tires warm up which is tough to do sometimes at autox unless it's a smaller event and you get more runs spaced closer together. Driving the car on cold vs warm tires is night and day, it understeers too much until they warm, and once warm you can trails brake and keep it right on the edge into corners beautifully. So it does tend to understeer a bit, and I could see a slightly stiffer rear bar but I'd want an adjustable bar pretty close to stock on it's softest setting. Those are my initial impressions doing a few autox events this summer on stock GY SC3s... I have a 1LE but the same applies, get some experience with properly warmed-up tires and see what you think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Motorsports View Post
Hi Bill,

Great to see someone new getting into autocross.

As mentioned above, making changes to the car right away can slow down the learning process. Seat time is key to becoming a better driver. Once you have gotten comfortable with the car you can look into making modifications to it, as long as they keep you classed properly.

Alignment and Tires/Tire pressures are where you should be looking at making changes for now. Although they don't sound like much, they have a huge effect on how the car will perform.

Happy Auto-crossing.

Stephen
JDP Motorsports
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
Something on the front sway bar being changed for F-Street, I think that those guys were also using wider front tires like 265 or 275, despite the narrow 8.5" width of the front wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post

Agree with the other posts...do not change the car until you feel you have reached your limit on stock setup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyRacerBoy View Post
That's the bars that I put on my car, dramatic difference 1 l e btw
I appreciate all of the advice and support. I've heard great things about the autocross community and the fellowship, and it's true.

I have a spare set of rims, with some worn out GY Assymentric Eagle F1s. My current tires are Michelin PS4s, which I think are pretty good, but could change out the spare set.

I feel like I've made some great strides in the three events so far. I've closed the distance on the class leader, who has been a big help. He drives a 2001 Camaro, so the difference between is all driver and then some.

I will be looking at getting as much seat time, and any kind of autocross classes as I can. When I Google Evo School, I only find one on the east coast this year. Are they offered around the country?

Bill
Old 10-14-2019, 08:40 AM   #13
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Put both FE4 bars on. No one will know they aren't stock...
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:58 AM   #14
wrankin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
Put both FE4 bars on. No one will know they aren't stock...
I have considered that before I started autocrossing. I like the way the car drives stock, and I understand it's a minor difference in feel, described like Tour feels like Sport, Sport feels like Track, and Track feels tighter.

Bill