Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 10-04-2019, 06:02 PM   #1
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
FIXED - Noise from driver front wheel area, help identifying

Found the noise - Lower control arm bolt not tightened properly/torqued correctly

Latest update: needed to replace lower control arm itself

There have been some snapping/clicking noises on my '16 1LT v6. I have attempted to capture them on the videos included in this post. The first video has the actual snapping noise in the beginning and practically every noise that seem's abnormal to me in it. The second video is taken from next to the driver's front wheel and only has some clicking noises.

The noises seem to happen at turning the wheel and hitting a bump, all noises coming from the driver's front wheel area. I've replaced the tie rods on both sides of the car and the noise hasn't changed.

I did get into an accident months prior where the front left hit and rear left wheel hit, everything damaged was replaced and the rear wheel was the only real issue as it took the StabiliTrak out with it. There is no StabiliTrak light now and drives fine and straight at the moment.

I'm thinking it's the strut but want to get more opinions before I buy a new one.

Video 1

Video 2

Last edited by Bumbleboy92; 02-21-2021 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Fixed
Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:49 PM   #2
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

After looking further into it, pretty sure it’s just the sway bar link. Will update after changing sway bar link and hopefully that’s it.

Edit: replaced link and noise still coming, next up is bushing and last strut.

Last edited by Bumbleboy92; 10-14-2019 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:21 PM   #3
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Noticed the bellows boot wasn’t attached on either side. Reattached with zip ties and noise went down considerably. Still clunking during driving. Followed a thread here about sway bar end links being loosened, torqued to proper spec and noise disappeared.

There’s still a very slight tick I can hear only on low noise driving with the radio down. Will try to narrow that down further.

Last edited by Bumbleboy92; 11-05-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:46 AM   #4
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
The clicking noise is typically the wheels, there is a TSB out there about it. The remedy is to remove the wheels, clean the hub with a wire brush and then put some white lithium grease on the hub area where the rotor rides. Then clean the backside of the wheel and the hub opening as well.

Once all that is done and you go to remount the wheel the torque spec calls for 140 ft lbs for the lug nuts.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:06 PM   #5
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
The clicking noise is typically the wheels, there is a TSB out there about it. The remedy is to remove the wheels, clean the hub with a wire brush and then put some white lithium grease on the hub area where the rotor rides. Then clean the backside of the wheel and the hub opening as well.

Once all that is done and you go to remount the wheel the torque spec calls for 140 ft lbs for the lug nuts.
Did that recently as I wanted to torque the passenger side. Sadly didn't make a difference for me but I'm thinking that since the bellows boot was off for god knows how long that a bunch of the grease/lube dried up. The noise is has returned not as bad as before but I remember it was like this before it got worse, I'll have to get some of the right grease/lube and apply it to the bellows boot/tie rod/steering rack portion to see
Old 12-05-2019, 12:09 PM   #6
Z28GTOSSMike

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS
Maybe wheel bearings?
Z28GTOSSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:11 AM   #7
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

A year later and many visits to alignment shops and Firestone (can’t be paying Chevy’s $200 diagnostic), I’ve fixed the issue.

#11 Lower Control Arm on passenger side needed to be replaced.

Wasn’t until the 3rd alignment shop told me that the lower control arm felt like it was vibrating when help when the noise came. Noise never came without the wheel on so even with my jack on the lower control arm it would make noise.

If anyone else has any similar issue, try to get on a lift or in your driveway with someone else at the wheel turning it constantly. Figure out what side it’s coming from and try to feel each suspension piece.

In the time since last update I’ve actually upgraded to FE3 shocks and lowering springs with the noise still coming.
Happiness: Infinite

Tags
clicking, snapping, strut, suspension