Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 12-02-2022, 01:00 PM   #1
Rapid_blue_zl1_22

Drives: 2022 Rapid Blue ZL1
ZL1 Cam install

Has anyone here done a cam install on their ZL1? My car is currently down for Kong X-port and header install. I have a cam and Weapon-X boost chiller on the way and will probably go ahead and swap the cam out while the car is down. Does anyone have any advise or things to look out for? I was a technician for 15 years, but I've never done a cam on an LT4 before. I tried to search for a cam install write up, but the search function isn't working right now. Any help is appreciated.

Performance: Kong X-Port OEM blower, 1 7/8" TSP headers (Polydyn coated), Corsa Intake/X-pipe/NPP Exhaust, LT5 95MM TB, DSX FlexFuel sensor, Dedicated Motorsports inline fuel filter, Katech Dual fuel pump, WeaponX Boost freeze chiller, WeaponX center and aux HX, PWR oil cooler, and Elite E-2X catch can. Tuned by Pat G 731 WHP on a Mustang Dyno.

Suspension/Brakes: Eibach lowering springs, Vorshlag camber plates, Full SPL rear control arms, DSC Sport suspension controller, Blackwing F/R brake cooling ducts.
Rapid_blue_zl1_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 01:34 PM   #2
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Hey Rapid Blue, Being a tech for 15 years should make this process pretty easy. I just did mine out of the car, thread is here

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609588

Asking for pointers is pretty broad, as there was alot of caveats i covered in my post.

One thing i would address is all of the other supplemental upgrades that make sense while the engine is open. Here is a short list.

1. Pushrods + Trunnion upgrade + Springs / Guides (get a complete cam kit) with LS3 sprocket conversion
2. Katech Oil Pump + LME Chain Guide + C5R Chain
3. VVT + DoD Delete covers from Katech, LME or TSP
4. ATI Damper + Gates Belt (+ OD Pulley depending on Power Goals)
5. Sending Heads out for porting (depending on power goals)
6. BMR Motor mounts (make future work and header installs sooooo much easier)
7. Griptech upper while blower is out (easier to swap upper later if desired)
8. Port snout for a 103mm TB
9. Flexfuel sensor
10. Take photos of everything during the disassemble process, bad and tag everything
11. Prime oil pump using the plug on the side of the block
12. Stock up on blue locktite, assembly lube, and anti-seize
13. Dont forget to replace the SC bolts (they are TTY)

PM me if you have any others questions or if you want to chat over the phone.
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 01:59 PM   #3
Rapid_blue_zl1_22

Thanks for the reply. I have push rods, springs, etc going in. I am not looking to go past 800whp, so I didn't feel heads would really be necessary. Is the trunnion upgrade required for these cars? I looked into it, but wasn't sure.

I thought the oil pump issues were just the 18 and older cars, so I didn't order one. I am planning on doing the LME chain guide and the TSP VVT delete kit is on the way already.

The blower is being ported by Kong now and will get a ZPE hub installed while it is there.

I am going to be running 93 octane (I hate dealing with E85), so I decided to get a Weapon-X Boost chiller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL.M6.ZLE View Post
Hey Rapid Blue, Being a tech for 15 years should make this process pretty easy. I just did mine out of the car, thread is here

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609588

Asking for pointers is pretty broad, as there was alot of caveats i covered in my post.

One thing i would address is all of the other supplemental upgrades that make sense while the engine is open. Here is a short list.

1. Pushrods + Trunnion upgrade + Springs / Guides (get a complete cam kit) with LS3 sprocket conversion
2. Katech Oil Pump + LME Chain Guide + C5R Chain
3. VVT + DoD Delete covers from Katech, LME or TSP
4. ATI Damper + Gates Belt (+ OD Pulley depending on Power Goals)
5. Sending Heads out for porting (depending on power goals)
6. BMR Motor mounts (make future work and header installs sooooo much easier)
7. Griptech upper while blower is out (easier to swap upper later if desired)
8. Port snout for a 103mm TB
9. Flexfuel sensor
10. Take photos of everything during the disassemble process, bad and tag everything
11. Prime oil pump using the plug on the side of the block
12. Stock up on blue locktite, assembly lube, and anti-seize
13. Dont forget to replace the SC bolts (they are TTY)

PM me if you have any others questions or if you want to chat over the phone.

Performance: Kong X-Port OEM blower, 1 7/8" TSP headers (Polydyn coated), Corsa Intake/X-pipe/NPP Exhaust, LT5 95MM TB, DSX FlexFuel sensor, Dedicated Motorsports inline fuel filter, Katech Dual fuel pump, WeaponX Boost freeze chiller, WeaponX center and aux HX, PWR oil cooler, and Elite E-2X catch can. Tuned by Pat G 731 WHP on a Mustang Dyno.

Suspension/Brakes: Eibach lowering springs, Vorshlag camber plates, Full SPL rear control arms, DSC Sport suspension controller, Blackwing F/R brake cooling ducts.
Old 12-02-2022, 11:31 PM   #4
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_blue_zl1_22 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have push rods, springs, etc going in. I am not looking to go past 800whp, so I didn't feel heads would really be necessary. Is the trunnion upgrade required for these cars? I looked into it, but wasn't sure.

I thought the oil pump issues were just the 18 and older cars, so I didn't order one. I am planning on doing the LME chain guide and the TSP VVT delete kit is on the way already.

The blower is being ported by Kong now and will get a ZPE hub installed while it is there.

I am going to be running 93 octane (I hate dealing with E85), so I decided to get a Weapon-X Boost chiller.

Sounds like a fun build! The trunnion upgrade replaces the stock needle bearings with a solid shaft. I have alot of photos on my build thread. Seems standard when doing a cam. As for the oil pump, this is highly discussed, and although new vehicles have had alot less failures, the Katech pump is built better and for alot of us is $500 of insurance while the motor is open. Not a requirement.

Good luck to you... be sure to post up some progress photos!!!
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
Old 12-03-2022, 05:06 AM   #5
Rapid_blue_zl1_22

Thanks for the suggestion. I will get the Katech oil pump and trunnion kit ordered!

Quote:
Sounds like a fun build! The trunnion upgrade replaces the stock needle bearings with a solid shaft. I have alot of photos on my build thread. Seems standard when doing a cam. As for the oil pump, this is highly discussed, and although new vehicles have had alot less failures, the Katech pump is built better and for alot of us is $500 of insurance while the motor is open. Not a requirement.

Good luck to you... be sure to post up some progress photos!!!

Old 12-04-2022, 09:24 AM   #6
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
if i were to do it again i'd pull the motor. we realized that would've been best about a few hours in lol.

other than that, mine was performed by my father and i...he has been a mechanic for 40 years, rebuilt many motors, wires nitrous for folks, so it was simple for him...just time consuming as this car is built around the radiator
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 09:53 AM   #7
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
For 800whp you don't need heads or cam. Toohighpsi PI system and turn the boost up on the X port will get you there easy with E85.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 11:42 AM   #8
Rapid_blue_zl1_22

Thanks for the recommendation, but I wanted the cam for the chop and fuel lobe so I don't have to run E-85. I hate running ethanol and really hate having to mix for E50. The closest station to my house is 20 minutes away. I did the chiller so I wouldn't need Ethanol.

EDIT: Plus if I'm voiding the warranty, I want the lifters swapped out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
For 800whp you don't need heads or cam. Toohighpsi PI system and turn the boost up on the X port will get you there easy with E85.

Old 12-04-2022, 11:48 AM   #9
Rapid_blue_zl1_22

Yeah, I keep going back and forth on whether to pull the engine or not. I have a 6MT, so I've heard it is more of a PITA to stab back in compared to A10. Also with the 6MT, it sounds like you have to drop the subframe down either way. I have an engine hoist, so I'll decide once I start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
if i were to do it again i'd pull the motor. we realized that would've been best about a few hours in lol.

other than that, mine was performed by my father and i...he has been a mechanic for 40 years, rebuilt many motors, wires nitrous for folks, so it was simple for him...just time consuming as this car is built around the radiator

Old 12-04-2022, 12:25 PM   #10
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post

So true... But there is no replacement for that choppy idle. Once you have one, you can never go back
Old 12-04-2022, 01:50 PM   #11
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Yeah, I keep going back and forth on whether to pull the engine or not. I have a 6MT, so I've heard it is more of a PITA to stab back in compared to A10. Also with the 6MT, it sounds like you have to drop the subframe down either way. I have an engine hoist, so I'll decide once I start.
You can remove and reinstall the motor in an m6 car without completely dropping the cradle if you pull the blower off first. This will allow the motor to tilt back enough for the oil pan to clear the cross member. I've pulled mine a couple of times by myself with no problems at all. It's not difficult
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 02:18 PM   #12
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
You can remove and reinstall the motor in an m6 car without completely dropping the cradle if you pull the blower off first. This will allow the motor to tilt back enough for the oil pan to clear the cross member. I've pulled mine a couple of times by myself with no problems at all. It's not difficult

Did you mean to say drop the tranny or drop the oil pan?
I have an M6 and needed to drop the cross member by about 4" to clear the oil pan and that was even with jacking up the trans until it was hitting the top of the tunnel.

In reality, it is not hard to drop the cross member, (6) bolts to remove, (2) to loosen and then a jack to support, although it did add another 20 minutes to the process. Doing it again, I would have maybe tried to pull the balancer off in the car, in order to leave the fan in place. That is not designed to be pulled off in the car.
Old 12-04-2022, 03:30 PM   #13
Rapid_blue_zl1_22

Yeah, I don't know why but it just seems easier to pull the heads and oil pan off in the car and just move the condenser out of the way. Removing transmission bolts and re-stabbing the transmission into the clutch sounds like a lot more work. I have a low rise lift in my garage, so dropping the subframe down to swap the oil pan should be a breeze.

Quote:
Did you mean to say drop the tranny or drop the oil pan?
I have an M6 and needed to drop the cross member by about 4" to clear the oil pan and that was even with jacking up the trans until it was hitting the top of the tunnel.

In reality, it is not hard to drop the cross member, (6) bolts to remove, (2) to loosen and then a jack to support, although it did add another 20 minutes to the process. Doing it again, I would have maybe tried to pull the balancer off in the car, in order to leave the fan in place. That is not designed to be pulled off in the car.

Old 12-07-2022, 07:01 AM   #14
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Quote:
Yeah, I don't know why but it just seems easier to pull the heads and oil pan off in the car and just move the condenser out of the way. Removing transmission bolts and re-stabbing the transmission into the clutch sounds like a lot more work. I have a low rise lift in my garage, so dropping the subframe down to swap the oil pan should be a breeze.

Sounds good to me, many ways to skin this cat

So long she starts up and no one needs to run for the fire extinguisher it should be considered a win Just dont be like me, and make sure your alternator is connected before you try to start