Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-29-2022, 09:41 AM   #1
ZLRob

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
MPI lid chipping powdercoat

Anybody else own a MPI lid in the powdercoated version? While installing my lid, I noticed the powdercoating easily chipped on it as I would tighten the bolts around the lid. It's a nice piece, but between having to open up the 4 bolt holes in the middle of the lid because they were too small and this, it somewhat broke my heart considering what they cost.

Has anyone else had this issue with their lid or is it just a case of crappy prep or powder coating application by whoever is painting their lids for them?
2017 Red Hot ZL1 A10 - Apex ARC-8's, 305/ 325 PS4's, DSX 9.06 12% Pulley, NGK HR7 Ruthenium spark plugs, Katech Oil Pump, LME tensioner, DOD delete, Cam, MPI lid, Soler ported 87mm (91mm effective) TB, Granatelli SS plug wires, Cordes LTR reservoir, DMS T-stat housing, Borla X pipe, AFe NPP exhaust, Black Widow Angry Housewife/ Venom 250 mufflers, BMR engine mounts, Banks iDash, Lithium Battery, Course Motorsports phone mount, AEM X- Series, HP Tuners, JMS, E85, 13.6 psi
737 HP/ 779 TQ

Last edited by ZLRob; 11-29-2022 at 10:00 AM.
ZLRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 10:07 AM   #2
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Have you contacted MPI about the problem? Maybe they'll honor a warranty claim on the lid. The coating shouldn't be flaking or chipping off for what these cost.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 10:20 AM   #3
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
Have you contacted MPI about the problem? Maybe they'll honor a warranty claim on the lid. The coating shouldn't be flaking or chipping off for what these cost.
Agreed.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 10:22 AM   #4
ZLRob

I just called them and even they agreed it was abnormal and got really concerned about the quality of their powdercoaters work. I gotta send them photos of the chipping before anything so they can see. I'll update progress as it occurs.
2017 Red Hot ZL1 A10 - Apex ARC-8's, 305/ 325 PS4's, DSX 9.06 12% Pulley, NGK HR7 Ruthenium spark plugs, Katech Oil Pump, LME tensioner, DOD delete, Cam, MPI lid, Soler ported 87mm (91mm effective) TB, Granatelli SS plug wires, Cordes LTR reservoir, DMS T-stat housing, Borla X pipe, AFe NPP exhaust, Black Widow Angry Housewife/ Venom 250 mufflers, BMR engine mounts, Banks iDash, Lithium Battery, Course Motorsports phone mount, AEM X- Series, HP Tuners, JMS, E85, 13.6 psi
737 HP/ 779 TQ

Old 11-29-2022, 03:02 PM   #5
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Unfortunately, I think that's the nature of a custom painted lid.

My stock lid is custom painted from RPI. Had the same problem with the paint around the bolt holes chipping when the bolt head was tightened down. Contacted RPI and they sent some touchup paint. I wasn't happy I had to touch it up especially given the cost, but there weren't any better options. A repainted lid was just going to chip again.

What these vendors need to do is mask off the area around the bolt hole the size of the bolt head so it doesn't get painted or powder coated.

My custom painted lid has been on for four years now. You can't tell unless you get up real close that the paint has been touched up around the bolt heads.
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2022, 04:46 PM   #6
ZLRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
Unfortunately, I think that's the nature of a custom painted lid.

My stock lid is custom painted from RPI. Had the same problem with the paint around the bolt holes chipping when the bolt head was tightened down. Contacted RPI and they sent some touchup paint. I wasn't happy I had to touch it up especially given the cost, but there weren't any better options. A repainted lid was just going to chip again.

What these vendors need to do is mask off the area around the bolt hole the size of the bolt head so it doesn't get painted or powder coated.

My custom painted lid has been on for four years now. You can't tell unless you get up real close that the paint has been touched up around the bolt heads.
That's a little comforting to know.. and you may have a good point here. Someone mentioned Cerakote would be better than powdercoat given the heat production these blowers see. Now that he mentioned that I think he may be onto something there.
737 HP/ 779 TQ

Old 11-30-2022, 12:46 PM   #7
ZLRob

As a final update, I got a quote from a local powder coater to re- do the lid for me and I replied back to MPI regarding the issue. They were resistant and hesitant to refund me any further, still calling out my install method (it's a ****ing lid, it's pretty hard to **** that up) and without directly saying it, calling me incompetent (which I don't appreciate at all), but they finally did after I proposed to them that once I get it re- finished, if it happens again it's on me.

I love the lid and it's sound production, but their form of customer service where they place their pride before the customers concern is concerning to say the least.

This was my first and will be my final purchase from them and I recommend to everyone else considering purchasing to exercise the same caution if considering purchasing from them.

If you want the least amount of issue, purchase bare and then get it painted yourself locally.
737 HP/ 779 TQ

Last edited by ZLRob; 11-30-2022 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-01-2022, 07:02 AM   #8
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Drives: 2018 ZL1 & 2022 Hayabusa
Possible to add washers to the bolts? They'll spin on it and not the powdercoat/paint.
- RotoFab Dry, Forgestar CF5V (ZLE Spec), Eibach Pro, AeroForce Interceptor, GT4 Tow Hook
- Carbon Fiber (Satin): Radio, Shifter, Steering Wheel Controls, Shifter Top, AC Vents, Side Mirrors & Shark Fin
2022 Suzuki Hayabusa - Brilliant White Pearl & Shocker Yellow Wheels
- +4 Arm, 240 OEM Wheel, Brock's CT (Ti) Exhaust, 1.25" drop, etc...
infinitereality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 02:42 AM   #9
ZLRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitereality View Post
Possible to add washers to the bolts? They'll spin on it and not the powdercoat/paint.
That was something I was considering as well and probably not a bad idea moving forward.

They know the paint failed but didn't want to fess up to that verbally. In the end, I proposed to them that I get it re- painted locally on their dime and after that it's out of their hands warranty wise. They conceded and refunded me 66% of the $150 cost it will be to get this thing PC'ed again. It was either going to boil down to that or me calling up my credit card company to fight the charges as a whole. The way they went about things is not the way to do business at all and instead of insulting, accusing, and berating the customer they really need to rethink the way they treat people, and properly investigate on their end if the warranty claim holds credence.

Their product is subletted to two different other companies. One to do the machine work, and then one other to color the lids. When you have items passing hands like that, there is always room for something bad to happen.

I can see that whoever PC'ed it didn't sand blast the lid beneath to promote maximum adhesion so it's no wonder the coating comes right off like an egg shell. It's highly likely they did what they call in that industry a "wipe and spray" to cut time and costs and the likelyhood exists that I won't be the only one bitching about this issue in the near future if I was part of a batch that they did all at once.
737 HP/ 779 TQ

Last edited by ZLRob; 12-02-2022 at 02:55 AM.
Old 12-05-2022, 09:02 AM   #10
BeelowSS

Drives: 2012 SIM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLRob View Post
As a final update, I got a quote from a local powder coater to re- do the lid for me and I replied back to MPI regarding the issue. They were resistant and hesitant to refund me any further, still calling out my install method (it's a ****ing lid, it's pretty hard to **** that up) and without directly saying it, calling me incompetent (which I don't appreciate at all), but they finally did after I proposed to them that once I get it re- finished, if it happens again it's on me.

I love the lid and it's sound production, but their form of customer service where they place their pride before the customers concern is concerning to say the least.

This was my first and will be my final purchase from them and I recommend to everyone else considering purchasing to exercise the same caution if considering purchasing from them.

If you want the least amount of issue, purchase bare and then get it painted yourself locally.
Hello those following this post - I am the President of MPI. We've sold lids to hundreds of customers literally around the world - some anodized but mostly powder-coated. We have ZERO issues with our powder-coater (have used thee premier powder-coater in Chicagoland) and have had 2 returns total on lids (both red anodized due to color fade). Our powder-coater is not an issue. The powder is not an issue (we use prismatic powders). Our customer service is not an issue which is clearly seen on the forums, Google, YouTube, etc. I spoke to this person on the phone and via email multiple times. I'll simply say this is an example of how some individuals in today's world like to bark/bite online for fun. Lots more to this story. But if anyone has questions or concerns, feel free to contact me directly.

Thanks and Happy Holidays to all Camaro enthusiasts!

2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
691/649
DC Porting S/C Port
NW 103mm, ported snout
MPI LSA Lid w/ reinforced brick
DSX Flex Fuel conversion
FIC 1200's
LSA 2.5” upper
METCO LSA pulley kit
Comp camshaft: (236/242 .602/.610 113+3)
HD supercharger belt
DC Conservative Tune
DSS Carbon Fiber Driveshaft
BMR everything
McLoed HD Clutch
Roto-Fab CAI
MGW Shifter
Kooks 1 7/8” LT's
Corsa Sport
AFCO HX
315/30/20 R888R
285/35/20 R888R